EJ25 500hp rebuild options

SJTriggs
Impreza RS Driver

EJ25 500hp rebuild options

Postby SJTriggs » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey everyone! My 11 WRX recently started getting rod knock so it's time to rebuild.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/LHRkUuAyIkQ[/youtube]

Im planning to rebuild for a max of 500hp although I am probably only aiming for 350-400. There are so many options for pistons/rods so I am going to list a few, I will greatly appreciate it if anyone could share their opinion on choosing the right internals for this build. I have made a poll for the piston choice (note the pistons linked in the poll are not necessarily the sizing I am going to use) .

From my research I want an offset wrist pin piston to minimise ware and piston slap noise (this kind of rules out CPs). I want to keep the WRX very steerable. I think Cosworth are one of the best choices as they are from 4032 alloy which is better suited for street builds because of low ware, longer life and less noise however they are much more expensive then every other piston.

I will be documenting the whole process and will start a build thread when we start the rebuild in a few weeks.

Also anyone know a good place to get the block & heads machined in Brisbane?
Black MY11 WRX Hatch
Tuned with UniChip Q+

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Re: EJ25 500hp rebuild options

Postby stockhorse » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:50 pm

This may be an option worth considering.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82877

SJTriggs
Impreza RS Driver

Postby SJTriggs » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:14 pm

Looks good but Im still going with building my own :)
Black MY11 WRX Hatch
Tuned with UniChip Q+

ncik
Learner Driver

Postby ncik » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Hey,
Any update so far? I'm also shopping for pistons and rods and have definitely decided on Cosworths for the pistons too but the rod choices and costs seem to vary wildly! Not planning to go much over 250kw atw...

SJTriggs
Impreza RS Driver

Postby SJTriggs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:38 am

ncik wrote:Hey,
Any update so far? I'm also shopping for pistons and rods and have definitely decided on Cosworths for the pistons too but the rod choices and costs seem to vary wildly! Not planning to go much over 250kw atw...

Ita done :)

Wiseco 100mm 9:1 pistons
Manley H Tuff rods
Head recondition
Port & Polish
EGR&TGV delete
Closed deck
List goes on....

Soon i plan to get full new exhaust with headers and a ewg dom 2.5 turbo (maybe on e85)
https://youtu.be/MGJYJiwJAIk

My limit now should be the transmission so planning to tune to 250-300kw. Maybe a sti swap or 5 speed rebuild later on...
Black MY11 WRX Hatch
Tuned with UniChip Q+

Return to “Engine, Driveline, Exhausts and Turbos”