Opinions on current setup and possibly upgrades

the_hoyboy
Learner Driver

Opinions on current setup and possibly upgrades

Postby the_hoyboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Hey guys,
I'm after you're opinions on whether my current setup is ok for the power I have or whether I should be expecting more.
I own an MY00 WRX with a v6 sti motor and gearbox transplant. I recently got the car road and dyno tuned with the following mods:
- VF34 turbo
- AVO silicon intake
- Process west TMIC
- 3" TBE
- Walbro 255 fuel pump
- Vipec ECU
- GReddy Profec boost controller

The car made 152kw on 18psi which I find might be low for what is done. I may be wrong but from what I've read with other setups similar to this, I could expect maybe 20kw more

I have been considering upgrading injectors and a new turbo with a FMIC to give me a bit more power to get closer to 190kw or practically what I can safely run without doing harm to the motor

Open to any thoughts and opinions on this and whether I'm wrong

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: Opinions on current setup and possibly upgrades

Postby mv75 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:57 pm

That turbo is good. The next step will be e85/flex. You will need bigger injectors, some id1000's would be perfect. It's the best bang for buck step up on what you currently have.

specr
Probationary Driver

Postby specr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 pm

You should be seeing 200kw at the wheels with that set up. Something is wrong with the tune. e85 or flex fuel should net you somewhere between 220-240kw
MY13 STI Spec R - BLACK

the_hoyboy
Learner Driver

Postby the_hoyboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 pm

mv75 wrote:That turbo is good. The next step will be e85/flex. You will need bigger injectors, some id1000's would be perfect. It's the best bang for buck step up on what you currently have.

specr wrote:You should be seeing 200kw at the wheels with that set up. Something is wrong with the tune. e85 or flex fuel should net you somewhere between 220-240kw

Thanks for the input.
I've really been hoping that it may just be the dyno reading very conservatively so I'll have to take it somewhere else to get tuned with the flex fuel and hope that I see some numbers closer to what I'm expecting.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Should be more than 152 but it depends on the tuner and the dear chosen to do the run. With 18psi you should be making 180-200 but something else may be letting it down. My first thought was you didn't mention injectors..No use haveing big turbo= lots of air and big ic to cool it and a big exhaust to to get rid of the gases and a big pump to pump the fuel if you are trying to pump it through tiny injectors.. You have to do everything...miss one vital part like fuel flow...and it wont all come together. I bet your graph leveled out towards the top end once it started starving.. running lean is a good way to break things especially at 18psi..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 am

Believe it or not my 2000 gc8 ran the vf34 on stock injectors @18psi ok. They are 440cc. Bigger ones are an absolute must going to e85 / flex though. It's the next perfect upgrade since everything else is done, just need injectors, flex sensor, flex capable ecu, (If going flex), then retune. That's just a suggestion though, the real result is in how do you like how it now drives? Dyno numbers aren't all that. My car is currently almost at the point that I like how it drives, I could not tell you a dyno number at all as it's never seen one.

The stock injectors on my gd with the 257 and when I had the vf34 on that on the other hand... I immediately bought the id1000's for it when I saw those logs. When you see injector duty above 100%, it's a quick decision maker. :)

the_hoyboy
Learner Driver

Postby the_hoyboy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 am

Delivan wrote:Should be more than 152 but it depends on the tuner and the dear chosen to do the run. With 18psi you should be making 180-200 but something else may be letting it down. My first thought was you didn't mention injectors..No use haveing big turbo= lots of air and big ic to cool it and a big exhaust to to get rid of the gases and a big pump to pump the fuel if you are trying to pump it through tiny injectors.. You have to do everything...miss one vital part like fuel flow...and it wont all come together. I bet your graph leveled out towards the top end once it started starving.. running lean is a good way to break things especially at 18psi..

I'm aware that the injectors are currently the component that is holding back more power but as mv75 said, the stock 440s should at least be good for a little extra if you're talking about numbers.

mv75 wrote:Believe it or not my 2000 gc8 ran the vf34 on stock injectors @18psi ok. They are 440cc. Bigger ones are an absolute must going to e85 / flex though. It's the next perfect upgrade since everything else is done, just need injectors, flex sensor, flex capable ecu, (If going flex), then retune. That's just a suggestion though, the real result is in how do you like how it now drives? Dyno numbers aren't all that. My car is currently almost at the point that I like how it drives, I could not tell you a dyno number at all as it's never seen one.

The stock injectors on my gd with the 257 and when I had the vf34 on that on the other hand... I immediately bought the id1000's for it when I saw those logs. When you see injector duty above 100%, it's a quick decision maker. :)

The tuner said he was being conservative with the tuning so im pretty certain that the duty cycle would be fine.
The car is responsive and does give me a kick in the seat. I've been to Wakefield before but haven't been back since the new tune so when I go to my next track day in December I'll do a comparison between the lap times and see how it fares.
I won't be rushing into getting anything else but I've wanted to get close to the limits of what's possible so the injectors were always going to be the next thing.

I've never been one to count on numbers to decide whether a car is good but it's just the drastic difference between the numbers that had me curious about the current tune

Andy05
Probationary Driver

Postby Andy05 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:11 am

From what you have explained I'm certain your injectors would be the issue. If your tuner said it's conservative he'd be holding back the power in the top end to keep the duty cycle safe.

A safe tune won't see 190-200kw (which your current set up should do on 98) with 440's. you need at least 550's + to get that on a 2litre EJ.

You don't necessarily need to go to E85 as a next step, bigger injectors and a retune should see good gains even on 98.

You should ask the tuner about the duty cycles and if he ran out of headroom. That would give you a definitive answer.

A well sorted VF34 on a GC8 is a great set up, enjoy

Return to “Engine, Driveline, Exhausts and Turbos”