The dreaded knock - bottom end bearing

ntabs
Learner Driver

The dreaded knock - bottom end bearing

Postby ntabs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 am

Hi all! Looking for some advice on an issue that I’ve encountered...

So, long story short, I bought an 07 WRX CS9 in May this year, that had the head gaskets replaced along with timing belt... completed at 185kms - it’s got roughly 188,000k’s on it, and to be fair, I’ve not driven it hard. The car is used as a daily commute...

Without much warning (a bit of noise when down shifting), the car subsequently stalled without any warning lights etc... on firing up again, a loud clanking sound is coming from the engine, which is sounding similar to you tube clips where its bearing related. Limped it out of harms way and subsequently towed to the mechanic...

The mechanic will be taking a closer look on Monday to assess the full extent of the damage, with the minimum outcome being a bottom end rebuild...

I feel like I have two options to get the car back on the road within budget constraints - rebuilding the engine, or replacing with a second hand engine.

Wondering what others have done that have experienced similar, or other options...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: The dreaded knock - bottom end bearing

Postby mv75 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Consider a new short block. About $3100 from car mods Australia for any variant you want. Don't trust 2nd hand motors. You can't see any potential problems with them without opening them up first, and that takes extra time/labour that defeats the cheaper cost of the 2nd hand motor.

ntabs
Learner Driver

Postby ntabs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm

mv75 wrote:Consider a new short block. About $3100 from car mods Australia for any variant you want. Don't trust 2nd hand motors. You can't see any potential problems with them without opening them up first, and that takes extra time/labour that defeats the cheaper cost of the 2nd hand motor.

Thanks mv75 - will definitely add that to the list of options!

REVNURAZR
Probationary Driver

Postby REVNURAZR » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Go new, for the price you save it could cost 3 fold when the second hand unit goes pop too...

deejw
WRX STi Driver

Postby deejw » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Gotitrex has a special on ej207 shortblocks at the moment $2600
New Foz Build http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43042

ntabs
Learner Driver

Postby ntabs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 pm

REVNURAZR wrote:Go new, for the price you save it could cost 3 fold when the second hand unit goes pop too...

Thanks - I’m leaning in the new direction... I’d like this to be a long term fix...

ntabs
Learner Driver

Postby ntabs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm

deejw wrote:Gotitrex has a special on ej207 shortblocks at the moment $2600

I saw that advert pop up on Facebook - would that suit...? I just come across a short block ej257 on tuspeed for $2,855... which I’d assume a straight swap is simpler?

Return to “Engine, Driveline, Exhausts and Turbos”