Subaru WRX MY12 Build List

z0ki
Learner Driver

Subaru WRX MY12 Build List

Postby z0ki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. I have a MY17 CLA 45 AMG for a couple of months, but I just recently picked up a used MY12 WRX for a daily driver. I got one privately for a great price and only 52,000km on the clock and I want to put some more power into it. I have been out of the JDM scene for nearly 18 years so naturally I am like a born again virgin lol. So bare with me ;)

I have done a fair bit of reading but I am still unclear on somethings, so I am hoping some of you fellas/gals can tell me if I am on the right track.

I am wanting to get around 220-230kwatw and around 380-420Nm (gotta love some pull no homo lol) with the following mods with stock internals. Am i dreaming? Or is it not too far of a stretch?

1) Invidia Q300 Turbo Back Exhaust
2) COBB Up-Pipe
3) COBB SF Air Intake
4) ID 1000 Injectors (ready for flex fuel in future)
5) DW300 Fuel Pump
6) Process West Manifold
7) Process West Top Mount Intercooler
8) Silicone inlet hoses etc.

I added the manifold incase it could help to make me reach my target easier with the VF52 stock turbo. I will possibly go with a bigger turbo in future but at least the mods will be ready to go for when that time comes much later on.

As for tuning. I'm a little hesitant with ECUTek (being locked and all) so I will rather find someone who can do a custom tune with the factory ECU.

So overall what do you guys think? Is my target mentioned above of 220-230kwatw and 380-420Nm with the mods listed and a custom tune of the factory ECU possible?

Looking forward to any info and input provided :)

Cheers Legends,

Steve

specr
Probationary Driver

Re: Subaru WRX MY12 Build List

Postby specr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Where are you located? Plenty of reputable tuners in most major cities that can tune the stock ECU

220kw at the wheels is about the limit on stock internals before you blow your head gasket. With the stock vf52 you probably won't see that much unless it is a very happy dyno (or you go flex fuel)

Your mod list looks good, I'd add a pierburg 3 port boost solenoid as well though.

The rex must feel slow compared to the AMG :)
MY13 STI Spec R - BLACK

z0ki
Learner Driver

Re: RE: Re: Subaru WRX MY12 Build List

Postby z0ki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 pm

specr wrote:Where are you located? Plenty of reputable tuners in most major cities that can tune the stock ECU

220kw at the wheels is about the limit on stock internals before you blow your head gasket. With the stock vf52 you probably won't see that much unless it is a very happy dyno (or you go flex fuel)

Your mod list looks good, I'd add a pierburg 3 port boost solenoid as well though.

The rex must feel slow compared to the AMG :)

In Brisbane.. Though a Melbournian through and through!
I have a short list of tuners to visit. Though top of my list is Matt Spry at PITS though he is very busy for a while so need to wait. Staying well away from Mercury Motorsport way too many horror stories about that place lol.

I will be happy with anything between 220kwatw on the dyno but real world be more like 205-213kwatw. But I like the pull from torque so hopefully can get it tuned with high torque numbers. I will get flex fuel installed a bit down the track right now I only have 3 servo's that have E85 and all are roughly 40minutes away so it isn't practical for me though a number E85 servo's will be popping up mid next year closer to me.

Compared to the AMG yes it feels like a 1.3ltr Barina :p Hence need to get some numbers up. Already have brakes and sway bars and coil overs installed.

I'll add the 3-Port boost solenoid to what I have left to purchase.

I am assuming most decent tuners will tune the factory ECU on the fly on the dyno? Can they also tune for higher torque separately to atw? Hyperthetically I'm sitting in the car with the tuner and we reach say 215kw and torque is at 380Nm. Could I say to him are you able to tune it to make it an even 400Nm?

Steve,
Last edited by z0ki on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tim33h
Impreza RS Driver

Postby tim33h » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:25 am

Cobb will be making their Accessports for your model in the next few months.
They came to Sydney a few weeks ago and just finished testing for G3 models at The Rumble Shack in Wetherill Park NSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z0ki
Learner Driver

Postby z0ki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 am

tim33h wrote:Cobb will be making their Accessports for your model in the next few months.
They came to Sydney a few weeks ago and just finished testing for G3 models at The Rumble Shack in Wetherill Park NSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this posted on Pro Speed Racing's facebook page the other day that they concluded their "Australian Tour" to bring us the AP for G3 models. I like the thought of it and having real time gauges etc, but their tunes are very very conservative aren't they? As long as you could get a custom cobb map from a tuner that would be a bonus.

As mentioned. I just wanted to net a bit more power that will be reliable. After doing some reading and some other people telling me that I could blow my motor has me worried. I particularly don't want to rebuild the engine anytime soon as the bigger turbo if that time comes I will do a rebuild then. But if i'm happy I won't be doing any more upgrades and want it to last me a while.
Last edited by z0ki on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Yep, the mod list is a solid base. :)

z0ki
Learner Driver

Postby z0ki » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:39 am

Hey guys I already replied but I think the mods have to review my posts before publishing because im a forum noobie. So you guys probably missed my post above specr's post..

Steve

specr
Probationary Driver

Postby specr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:37 am

Yeah not sure what happened with that one, I noticed it popped it there after a few more replies... Weird!

Yep all tuners will be able to tweak the stock ECU so no need to change that at all. You're not limited with the cobb accessport either, cobb tuners will be able to help you get the most out of it and you'll also be able to run flex fuel with the correct supporting mods too (I recently got a quote for the cobb accessport and flex fuel mods and it was going to add nearly $4K to my build :| )

Most tuners should be able to max out your stock VF52 turbo without causing any reliability issues so there shouldn't be any worries in that regard. VF52 max 200-220 on pump, I've heard of up to 245 with flex though :D )

In regards to upping the torque from say 380nm to 400nm, I would assume they will tune for max power and torque whilst keeping it safe and reliable and I don't think it's all that possible to magically add extra torque to it
MY13 STI Spec R - BLACK

Return to “Engine, Driveline, Exhausts and Turbos”