Post-Track Day Noise & Potential Fuel surge?

DV0993
Learner Driver

Post-Track Day Noise & Potential Fuel surge?

Postby DV0993 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi Peeps

I have developed a strange noise that seems to be coming from my turbo (td04), almost like a grinding/knocking after my first track day at PI. I initially thought I had spun a bearing, but after closer inspection the noise may be coming from around the turbo and definitely isn't as severe as some videos I have seen.

During my second session, the car jolted on the straight while at 3/4 throttle in 5th gear and threw a CEL. Fuel was in between 1/2 and 3/4 tank and thought it may have been fuel surge. Filled up, CEL disappeared. The problem did not occur again until the 4th session when I was at 3/4 tank, CEL returned.

Over the course of the day I experienced the above problem 4 times.

Fresh racing oil was used with a slight overfill (10w40). The car still pulls great and there are no issues on the power front. It seems noisier when idling only.

Can anyone offer any insight as to what may have happened and what the noise may be?
Car: Stock 08 WRX.

Big_Red
Learner Driver

Re: Post-Track Day Noise & Potential Fuel surge?

Postby Big_Red » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:47 am

Best bet maybe to scan the ecm and see if it has a history dtc.

As for the noise, try unplugging one coil at a time on the RH bank, this can help isolate a bearing knock. You could have also simply blown a exhaust gasket, they can make funny noises at times.

DV0993
Learner Driver

Postby DV0993 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks for your reply mate. On closer inspection, it seems to be an intermittent rattling noise from near the turbo area.

More prevalent on cold start and also a slight noise when switching the engine off.

Thinking it could be a rattle from the heat shield or you could be right about the gasket!

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Get the codes read. Could be the wastegate actuator too.

Return to “Engine, Driveline, Exhausts and Turbos”