Axle back for 2016 STI

zrb
Learner Driver

Axle back for 2016 STI

Postby zrb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:57 am

Hi All,

After posting over a year ago, I've finally jumped on the subaru bandwagon. The plan Was to get a wrx, but a 2016 sti with less than 10k on the clock popped up for a price that I could not resist. Massive upgrade from my 2000 Celica.

I love the stock gurgle of the sti, but but miss having some sound. Walking home from work yesterday, I heard an sti with a nice little exhaust note. Just right. So here I am looking for an axle back or mufflers.

I'm not looking to do too much to the car other than mainly oem parts. So far I have the weather visors, rear vortex generator, sti shift knob and sti front flexible strut bar. Hence why I'm sticking to an axle back or muffler. Nothing overboard. That and I said I wanted this newer car so I don't spend on mods... Yeah right!

Is there an oem subaru sti axle back option available?

At the moment I have this in mind by hks:

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/49982

Any suggestions on an exhaust that will give me that extra little noise, but not affect performance?

KuRT12
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: Axle back for 2016 STI

Postby KuRT12 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Nameless performance make a great axle back kit in the states - you can go small or No mufflers.
https://shop.namelessperformance.com/20 ... k-exhaust/
MY '12 SWP WRX STi Spec. R Sedan
Sandown 1:20.48 - Winton 1:35.19 - Wakefield 1:06.84 - Phillip Island 1:44.96 - Broadford 1:03.80 - SMSP Gardner (AD08) : 1:48.05

specr
Probationary Driver

Postby specr » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Go an Invidia cat back. I have an invidia made for your model but on my 2013 sti (same motor = same sound). It gives a really nice growl when you open it up but it has no drone at up to more than 130kmh. Really quiet at cruising speed and won't affect the performance with only the cat back section.
MY13 STI Spec R - BLACK

tim33h
Impreza RS Driver

Postby tim33h » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:17 am

Can't say I've heard a bad sounding exhaust on a 2015+ STI (besides ones with ELH... YUK) LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIMBAT
Learner Driver

Postby SIMBAT » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 pm

zrb wrote:Hi All,

After posting over a year ago, I've finally jumped on the subaru bandwagon. The plan Was to get a wrx, but a 2016 sti with less than 10k on the clock popped up for a price that I could not resist. Massive upgrade from my 2000 Celica.

I love the stock gurgle of the sti, but but miss having some sound. Walking home from work yesterday, I heard an sti with a nice little exhaust note. Just right. So here I am looking for an axle back or mufflers.

I'm not looking to do too much to the car other than mainly oem parts. So far I have the weather visors, rear vortex generator, sti shift knob and sti front flexible strut bar. Hence why I'm sticking to an axle back or muffler. Nothing overboard. That and I said I wanted this newer car so I don't spend on mods... Yeah right!

Is there an oem subaru sti axle back option available?

At the moment I have this in mind by hks:

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/49982

Any suggestions on an exhaust that will give me that extra little noise, but not affect performance?

I would highly recommend that HKS legamax axelback. I know they're a bit pricey buy you will get a nice refined note when driving spiritedly without compromising any comfort in cabin plus they are made to the highest quality. + they look sexy ;)

I've just bought my STI a full HKS Super turbo titan catback + HKS equal length headers and they are made so well I'm extremely happy with them. the only thing i couldn't bring myself to buy HKS was they're $2600 downpipe. i went for an invidia catted DP instead.

zrb
Learner Driver

Postby zrb » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks simbat. I think I will go with the HKS Ti-1 (Titan) LEGAMAX Premium mufflers. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Now the wait!

zrb
Learner Driver

Postby zrb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:35 pm

So I ended up going with a catback as I thought the axle back would be a waste of $$ and the noise won't change much. I had my eyes set on the Nvidia Q300, but got the R400 instead.

Absolutely loving the rumble. I thought it'd be annoying, but it's perfect!

SIMBAT
Learner Driver

Postby SIMBAT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:21 pm

zrb wrote:So I ended up going with a catback as I thought the axle back would be a waste of $$ and the noise won't change much. I had my eyes set on the Nvidia Q300, but got the R400 instead.

Absolutely loving the rumble. I thought it'd be annoying, but it's perfect!

good to hear man, the r400 are a great product, i was tempted to go the the full titanium version but i really had my heart set on the HKS stuff.

Return to “Engine, Driveline, Exhausts and Turbos”