The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver

Re: The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

Postby ratty05 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks Zhi, if you had 4 I'd be keen but I think i'd rather stick with 4 new. Last time I was at winton we we're separated by tenths all day, I think this time the closest I'll get to you will be in the pits! Maybe I should put new tyres on before rather than after.
had a quick ring around this morning.
RE003's can get for $896
AD08's for $957
Michelin PS3 for $780
Was told the AD08's are a class above the others, thoughts? The PS3's seem a good deal.

dbz
WRX STi Driver

Postby dbz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 am

ratty05 wrote:Thanks Zhi, if you had 4 I'd be keen but I think i'd rather stick with 4 new. Last time I was at winton we we're separated by tenths all day, I think this time the closest I'll get to you will be in the pits! Maybe I should put new tyres on before rather than after.
RE003's can get for $896
AD08's for $957
Michelin PS3 for $780
Was told the AD08's are a class above the others, thoughts? The PS3's seem a good deal.

Haha yeh times were close! That's what makes it fun :D I reckon the AD08R and Hankook RS3 are above the rest when it comes to track performance, purely from the grippier compound. I have not really looked into the Michelin's though and have heard good things said about them, plus their price looks good.

Only reason i went with the Hankook RS3 over the AD08R last year was purely down to price, the hankooks were a few hundred cheaper back then.

The other really good street/track tyre is ther Dunlop Direzza Z2 Starspec which was around $350 each last time i got quoted , they are also the tyres used by the Toyota 86 series race cars.

Check out this tirerack review here :)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/vid ... p?ttid=197
MY15 BRZ (Street Class)
PBs: PI-1:54.7 Winton-1:39.9 Sandown-1:29.4 Broadford-1:08.5
MY15 WRX (Clubman Class)-SOLD
PBs: PI-1:52.3 Calder (+chicane)-1:07.8 Sandown-1:26.7 Winton-1:37.2

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby neptune11 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:31 am

ratty05 wrote:Thanks Zhi, if you had 4 I'd be keen but I think i'd rather stick with 4 new. Last time I was at winton we we're separated by tenths all day, I think this time the closest I'll get to you will be in the pits! Maybe I should put new tyres on before rather than after.
RE003's can get for $896
AD08's for $957
Michelin PS3 for $780

Go the Yokas, for sure...Awesome for track, and street... keep an eye on the tyre pressures to..
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby neptune11 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:43 am

ratty05 wrote:Going to start the ring around tomorrow for some new boots. Looking for good daily/track mix, although the daily part is only to work and back mostly (about 5klm only!). What's the best pick these days? RE003's/AD08's/RS3's???? (245/40r18)
Should also mention I use my car for dirt autocrosses etc, I imagine most of these will be breasts on a bovine in the dirt, might be time for two sets of rims....

I've been told by Yoka, they do not recommend the ADO8rs on gravel..!
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue

dbz
WRX STi Driver

Postby dbz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Hey Shane I am a convert :D can't resist the price i was quoted. I purchased mine with another member here (10 tyres - 6 were very expensive r specs) so got a better deal than usual, $840 for 4 x 245/40/18. Most places will quote $950 or thereabouts. The 3 for 4 deal is sweet, and first impressions are pretty good, surprisingly quiet (maybe i am just so used to r compound tyres howling :p) and initial street driving they feel pretty grippy. Would highly recommend especially with the deal going now.
MY15 BRZ (Street Class)

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver

Postby ratty05 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 am

I'm thinking I'll go the PS3's, the money saved will be handy at the moment to pay for the AASA licences needed for the Snowy River Sprint. Will probably get them fitted after Winton and just run with the clapped out Kumhos for now....although maybe I should fit them before to see how much grip they have before tackling mountain roads...

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:41 pm

ratty05 wrote:I'm thinking I'll go the PS3's, the money saved will be handy at the moment to pay for the AASA licences needed for the Snowy River Sprint. Will probably get them fitted after Winton and just run with the clapped out Kumhos for now....although maybe I should fit them before to see how much grip they have before tackling mountain roads...

Hey ratty05, I agree with Zhi & Shane above that the AD08R & RS3 are a cut above the RE003 & PS3 for track work....

The PS3's are definitely good value & I've been really happy with my 2 sets on the GC8, but I would say put them nearer the top of your list only IF you were doing more daily driving than track work (same with the RE003).
But if track work is going to outweigh daily driving, then I think Zhi & Shane are correct in advising you to lean more towards the AD08R or RS3.
If you're running similar track times to Zhi and you're tackling the Snowy River Sprint etc, I'm not sure the PS3's will be up to the task or your potential expectations?!?

I absolutely sing the praises of the PS3, but in this case, it might be more a case of them not being the "best fit your purpose". I realise $$ budget comes into your equation though...

I'm still running the PS3's because the car was my high km daily driver, now it's on the track (plus occasional Club Cruises & road duties), but the tyres still had plenty of life & I don't want to do the 2 x sets of rims at this stage. I've done about 35,000kms daily driving plus 6 track days on this 2nd set of PS3's and they're still going :shock: , but must confess they have started to lose their grip now, despite having plenty of visible tread left.

I have no experience with dirt autocross so cannot comment there.

As for fitting the new tyres before or after Winton, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard mention that the new grippier surface might wear your tyres more than the old surface, so I'm now thinking of running my ageing PS3's again, rather than brand new AD08R's which will be my next hoops :thumbs:
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver

Postby ratty05 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks Snowy, I'm definitely not expecting much as far as the snowy river sprint is concerned. We're only in the tour and it'll be my first event like this so will definitely be taking it easy.
It was a looong time ago that Zhi and I were trading times, I think he's quite comfortably faster now!
In the end it was budget and my odd mix of dirt and tarmac that I chose the PS3. Not sure if it'll work out this way but the tread pattern just looks like it might suit the dirt a bit more, even though the Deni track ends up like asphalt once the top layer is swept, ballarat can be very loose.
On a side note, if you guys ever want a road trip it's an awesome track they have at deni, very smooth, very slippy (until swept) and absolutely nothing to hit! Great bunch of guys, passenger laps at end of the day, awesome to practice car control on low grip surface...you spend more time looking out the side windows than the front. I took my wife for a ride and she couldn't stop laughing, said she never knew it was a drift car!

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Ahh good decision ratty, based on budget & needing them to handle the odd mix of dirt & tarmac :thumbs:
I think they do have a pretty good tread pattern for across the board use.
You should get good life out of them too.....not to mention really decent performance in the wet (in my experience only of course).
You're right about Zhi, he is smashing it lately re performance & lap times, every time he adds another go-fast goodie to his car (plus his obvious driving talent), he seems to crank out yet another superb effort on the track....so keep it up Zhi :bowdown:

Thanks for the heads up on the autocross scene that you get amongst & clearly have lots of fun with...when you mention Deni, do you mean Deniliquin in NSW or is the "Deni" track somewhere around the Ballarat region??
Snowy

dbz
WRX STi Driver

Postby dbz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:13 am

:giggle: Haha i don't think i am anywhere near as good a driver as a lot of the serious track guys out there, still have so much to learn, and my newer car makes up for a lot of my driving imo :wink: But ratty i think you are on the money there, and i would love to one day do an autocross or the lake mountain/snowy river/mt baw baw sprint , they sound like fantastic fun :thumbs:
MY15 BRZ (Street Class)

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver

Postby ratty05 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeah it's Deniliquin in NSW, it's about a 2 hour trek for me (maryborough), I try and go a few times a year, you get all the thrill of a tarmac event at a fraction of the speed. Not to mention some ridiculous drifts especially around their sweeper!
Definitely a long way for most of you guys but if anyone ever wanted to make a weekend out of it, I'd definitely recommend it.

sikmrex
WRX STi Driver

Postby sikmrex » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:16 pm

I have had my AD08R's for 20k and they have been the best tyre yet. No track days but some spirited driving. Still some life left in them too
"What do all men with power want? More power." The Oracle

WrexYu
Learner Driver

Postby WrexYu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Im running Kumho ECSTO HS51's on the rear @ $165 a corner. Fronts are running goodyear Assurances which are sheet but were brand new on the car when i got it so kept but wil be promptly replacing with 215 /45/ r 17 Kumho HS51's. The Goodyears just dont grip i get skidding going round corners so these are just horrid cheap tyres
MY10 G3 WRX Hatch WREXYU

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby neptune11 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:46 pm

WrexYu wrote:Im running Kumho ECSTO HS51's on the rear @ $165 a corner. Fronts are running goodyear Assurances which are sheet but were brand new on the car when i got it so kept but wil be promptly replacing with 215 /45/ r 17 Kumho HS51's. The Goodyears just dont grip i get skidding going round corners so these are just horrid cheap tyres

As I'm sure others will probably agree??
It would definitely be best idea to have all 4 tyres same brand, tread pattern, ect & ware life...!
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue

ls0775
Probationary Driver

Postby ls0775 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:10 pm

If anyone is interested in 4 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600 tyres, let me know. These were OEM on STi '08 onwards. Tread would be 90%
Leon

2008 STI 214KW atw. (Stumpy - STI-207) - PI 1:49:8 (R), Sandown 1:26:2 (S), Winton 1:36:7 (R)
2008 STI 165KW atw. (Stocky - 122-LCR) - PI 1:53:6 (R), Sandown 1:26:4 (R). Winton 1:38.6 (R)

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Tomorrow morning I am off to get the set of PS3s fitted to my blue one. I have had them sitting under the house waiting for my F1s to wear out. The F1 D5s still have good tread in the middle but the outer edges are feathering despite camber and running 38 psi and I am sick of looking at the stack of PS3s just sitting there gathering dust. I will report back after an appropriate time with my thoughts on their sticktoitiveness..
I have tried MANY sets and the F1s will be hard to beat for wet weather, quietness and long life..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:40 pm

I had a set of Pirelli Dragon Sports fitted 2 weeks ago. $190 a corner for 235/40/18 from Tyrepower Knox.
Previously I had a set on the WRX before it was written off, but only got the chance to drive on them for about 2000km. I was quite impressed with them (hence why I bought a second set), but never had the opportunity to really push them to the limit.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:39 am

First impression of Michilin PS3s is I am very happy with them.. The road noise is greatly reduced and the comfort increased. They do not screech when doing spirited cornering. I am running 38psi. Will update in a few thousand ks but soo far I am loving them..ps...the noisiest and most uncomfortable tyres I have ever had are Federal 595 rs...They were like solid rubber.. KU36s were good but doubled in price and they are not worth it now. Achilles Sports 2 are to unpredictable in the wet to be any fun. Goodyear F1(original pattern) were good but sipes wear quickly. Goodyear F1 Directional 5s are fantastic in all conditions but generate a little road noise and too expensive to replace every year or so. Also tried maxis and nexen but would not go back there.We have Nittos on the Bugeye Wagon and they are good but a bit slippery in the wet and a bit of a hard ride. We have new Kumho KU31 on the Sti and they are excellent in all conditions and quiet as well and I probably would have got them for the Blue rex but I got the Michelin for $524 fitted and balanced so I thought I would give them a try..
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Delivan wrote:First impression of Michilin PS3s is I am very happy with them.. The road noise is greatly reduced and the comfort increased. They do not screech when doing spirited cornering. I am running 38psi. Will update in a few thousand ks but soo far I am loving them...... I got the Michelin for $524 fitted and balanced so I thought I would give them a try..

Hey Delivan, glad to hear that you're impressed with the PS3's thus far, particularly given you've tried so many different tyre brands & models.
As mentioned above in this thread, I have been mightily impressed with my 2 x sets of PS3's on my GC8, the 2nd set just coming to the end of their useful life now after 35,000kms daily duties plus 6 x track days (ok I'm only in 'Street Class' & not hitting the speeds & G forces of higher classes, but still that's a damn fine effort from street tyres IMO). Now for some more "focused" crossover road/track tyres :whistle:

$524 fitted & balanced for your PS3's is a ridiculously sharp price ($131 per corner) - is that for 215/45/17 Delivan?? (I seem to recall your Blue Rex has '06 WRX rims??)
Snowy

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Yes.. 215/17 .. Yes end of financial year sale at Bob Jane PLUS Michelin were giving $100 cash back (which just came off the price when I paid for them) .. I was very tempted to buy 2 sets but the rest have near new tyres anyway ...I kind of wished I had bought extra now that I am soo happy with them..
Wow.. 35,000 ks...I have never got more than 20k out of any tyre..some as low as 12k....That's why I don't spend big $$$$ buying the dearest brands, especially when the mid range brands stick almost as well.
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”