The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

El Greco
Blue GDB STI Driver
Blue GDB STI Driver

Re: The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

Postby El Greco » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:29 am

Bit more than 65k actually :smart: And yes they were the second set.I've clocked just over 120k now.

box
Learner Driver

Postby box » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Anyone had a set of kumho ku23? Not much info when I googled them

solitZ
Learner Driver

Postby solitZ » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Just Purchased a set of Toyo T1Sport Tires from Ray @ Tirepower Reservoir.
Was considering tires like the RE002, KU36, 595RSR and RS3s, Ray gave me a price i pretty much couldn't refuse.

Coming from Bridgestone RE001 on my stock 16" wheels i got the T1Sport on my 17" Wheels.

Ive already placed 600km's on the T1sport and already it has a much stiffer sidewall than the Re001 and i feel more confident when im turning the corner i have adequate feedback through the steering wheel. I havent exploited the tires to much pain yet but will be in the near future :)

The tires are alot more quieter on the road too.

KNGWRX
WRX STi Driver

Postby KNGWRX » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am

Snowy wrote:New tyres fitted today - decided to replace my Adrenalin RE001's with the new generation RE002's

Details:
Tyre - Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002
Size - 205/50/16
Price - $180 per corner
Where - Bob Jane, Frankston

Will give an idea of what they're like once scrubbed in a bit and potentially after the Club Cruise on Sunday :wink:

Snowy, what have they turned out like?

buyaspecr
Learner Driver

Postby buyaspecr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Had RE050A's and they were an excellent tire...

About $420 roughly at Hornsby Tire and Wheel alignment centre.

Now I am running Pilot Sport 3's... Not as good in the dry but better in the wet.

Greenrex99
Impreza RS Driver

Postby Greenrex99 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Got RE002 adrenalin's on my Accord Euro and 595ss on my Rex. Bridgestones are soft. Only got about 28000 out of the fronts. Great performance though. 595ss are ok but noisy and firm. I'll go back to adrenalin's on the Rex. They just need to last longer.
Tim

My99 WRX

Nitropro
Black MY06 Wagon Driver
Black MY06 Wagon Driver

Postby Nitropro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 am

Small update on page 18 regarding my first set of Yokohama Ad08's I have just finished off.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42002&start=340
Nitropro
MY06 WRX Wagon - Team BlackWagon
Resonatorectomy, Railectomy
H&R Springs/RStruts, Yoki AD08's,
F&RSwayB, F&RStrutB, ALK, Diff Lock Support
CES TBE, TurboXS TMIC, HP-Flash

v8girl
Probationary Driver

Postby v8girl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 pm

A few months ago I had some Kumho KU31's fitted to my CS9 and I love them!! The car previously had Toyos but I find kumhos a lot quieter and I think they stick better. I'm no tyre expert but I'm really happy with my purchase. :)

Omar at Fawkner Wheels and tyres is FANTASTIC!! Super friendly and helpful guys. I've recommended a few others to go see them and their service and price is always second to none. :first: Highly recommend giving these guys a go.
Kim

Sick 'em Rex

Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.

ppshy1
Impreza RS Driver

Postby ppshy1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 am

hi huys
i need 4 tyres and got a quote for Kumho Ku31 at 165bucks a corner fitted plus 65bucks for allignment.
He also said he can do Pirelli P7 for the same cost.

He said they are both 69bucks fitted each but gave me mates rates as i know his son.
Car: Subaru wrx MY01 hatch manual - 215 45 17

Do you think its a good Price? Also kumho or p7?

rexevos
Impreza RS Driver

Postby rexevos » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:07 pm

i used to have adrenalin re001 they were a good tyre but under full load my car used to bunny hop on launches.
Now i am running federal rsr 235 and the grip is outstanding
White 05 WRX, Sti kit Carbon fibre number plate suround, 18x9.5 ROTA GRID in white, Jet Black roof and sitting FLUSH !
rego: IPHATI

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:36 pm

REXTSE wrote:
Snowy wrote:New tyres fitted today - decided to replace my Adrenalin RE001's with the new generation RE002's

Details:
Tyre - Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002
Size - 205/50/16
Price - $180 per corner
Where - Bob Jane, Frankston

Will give an idea of what they're like once scrubbed in a bit and potentially after the Club Cruise on Sunday :wink:

Snowy, what have they turned out like?

REXTSE,

Firstly, apologies for my seriously tardy, belated reply (been very busy :hairpull: )

Without wanting to put a totally negative spin on it, I actually swapped out the new RE002's for Michelin PS3's after having the RE002's for only 2,000kms or so (less than 1 month for my travels), due to the tyres just not balancing up properly on my rims/car....all was OK except I'd get slight steering wheel wobble (apparently due to the static balance) at speeds between 110-120km/h :thumbsdow:
I was a little uneasy about the fact my set were made in Indonesia, from a qaulity control viewpoint hmmm

I was disappointed because performance wise, they were pretty damn good - great dry grip, slightly better wet grip than the RE001's, crisp turn in & steering response I think due to a slightly stiffer sidewall, trade-off was they were less comfortable than RE001's, IMO noise was on par with RE001's

So I certainly wouldn't let my experience put anyone off trying the RE002's, especially if your tyre size is made in Japan or even Thailand :) Might be a completely different story...

For anyone interested, my feedback on the Michelin PS3's after 12,000kms:
- excellent dry grip
- very good wet grip (better than RE001 & RE002, probably due the PS3's tread pattern having more circumferential grooves)
- quieter than RE001 & RE002
- more comfortable than RE001 & RE002
- slightly rounder & softer sidewall than RE001 & certainly the RE002
- so turn in & steering response not quite as sharp/crisp (a little more rolling on the tyres in corners) vs RE001 & RE002

If RE001's were still around, to be honest I would have gone them again (at $180 per corner in my 205/50/16 size) as I thought they were excellent 'Bang for Buck' tyres doing combo daily duties & spirited weekend runs incl the odd hillclimb/DECA etc OR I also thought about trying the Toyo T1 Sports that Ricky from Tyrepower Essendon gives the thumbs up to :thumbs:

However, I'm very happy with the PS3's (especially for the daily duties) despite the $50 per corner price premium over the RE001/RE002 :)
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

psyninja
Blue GDB WRX Driver
Blue GDB WRX Driver

Postby psyninja » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:33 pm

so what's the update on the PS3's Snowy-come on its been more than two weeks since you posted in this thread

what are the longer term effects of the rounder sidewall, do they get rounder with age or is it proportional on the speed you are driving at and the co-efficient reverse energy created if you are driving against the rotation of the earth?
how are you finding the circumferential grips in this weather with lower temps and wetter weather - exactly how many is too many circumferential grips?
I assume you have rotated them four of five times already - what sort of effect do you think this has on the long term engaging battle between road and tyre?

Have you considered that the noises in your head may be getting louder thus reducing the road noise of the tyres?

:P :lol:

zacsprint
Silver GC8 Driver
Silver GC8 Driver

Postby zacsprint » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:01 pm

I think it's time for a GC8 shootout!
GC8 PS3 v GC8 Triangle
:lol:
Subaru MY00 WRX GC8-The Classic Shape

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 pm

psyninja wrote:so what's the update on the PS3's Snowy-come on its been more than two weeks since you posted in this thread

what are the longer term effects of the rounder sidewall, do they get rounder with age or is it proportional on the speed you are driving at and the co-efficient reverse energy created if you are driving against the rotation of the earth?
how are you finding the circumferential grips in this weather with lower temps and wetter weather - exactly how many is too many circumferential grips?
I assume you have rotated them four of five times already - what sort of effect do you think this has on the long term engaging battle between road and tyre?

Have you considered that the noises in your head may be getting louder thus reducing the road noise of the tyres?

:P :lol:

:roll: what a :clown:

Actually I'm impressed that you put so much thought & detail into your Questions above...... hmmm where does that stem from :whistle:

.....and it's circumferential "GROOVES" not "grips" nerd

PS....the only noises in my head come from my imaginary friend Rupert :)
Snowy

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:22 pm

zacsprint wrote:I think it's time for a GC8 shootout!
GC8 PS3 v GC8 Triangle

You're ON Zac, lets find out once & for all how good these Triangles of yours are :)
Snowy

zacsprint
Silver GC8 Driver
Silver GC8 Driver

Postby zacsprint » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:34 am

There is no way the Triangles would come anywhere near the PS3. Having played around with the tyre pressures the only way to get the Triangles to work reasonably well is a dry road, low psi- 28 front, 33 rear if that, and having well and truly warmed them up which is hard to do on 'normal' roads. Funny thing is that even after 6-7K on them I still can't get them to squeal. Although seemed to keep up with Fish, but was on the limit. hmmm

But if you're up for some testing, let me know. :lol:

Snowy wrote:
zacsprint wrote:I think it's time for a GC8 shootout!
GC8 PS3 v GC8 Triangle

You're ON Zac, lets find out once & for all how good these Triangles of yours are :)
Subaru MY00 WRX GC8-The Classic Shape

adrock
Probationary Driver

Postby adrock » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:44 am

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 - had them recently fitted in 225/35/18 - Awesome tyre pimp

** Jax Quickfit hooked em up for me at $840 fitted and balanced as they had a deal on them , maybe a few still around .

EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC
If you drive a high-end vehicle, you'll appreciate this performance car tyre from Goodyear. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric is designed to give you outstanding control of your car, without compromising on performance. It features revolutionary Active Cornergrip and Racing Compound Technology for impressive high speed cornering and grip.

Winner of the 2010 & 2009 Motor Magazine Tyre Test and also the 2008 WHEELS Magazine Tyre Test.

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:53 am

How do the Pirelli PZero's compare with Michelin Pilot Super Sports?
I have the Pirelli's, and need a new set soon (thinking of shredding them at DECA and fitting new tyres afterwards), but am curious whether there is anything considered vastly better.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

cpitts
White Liberty SpecB Driver
White Liberty SpecB Driver

Postby cpitts » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Hey all, long time no chat.

I'm in the market for a set of 235/45/17's for *another* one of my cars (Audi A4 T-Q).

I'm looking at:
- Pirelli P-Zero Nero
- Yokohama S-Drive (AS01)

Both can be had at the moment for mid to low $200's per corner making them a pretty compelling choice.

Any feedback on the P-Zero's? I can guess the results with S-Drive's over the A-Drives, basically the same with a little more of what they currently have.

The car currently runs Yoko A drive AR-01's and they've been quite good (grip and life) but could do with a little more grip and bite in turn in.
'07 Lib GT Spec B <- adjusting
Done: Intake, Brakes, Stereo 90%, bars, AVO TMIC
To fit: Sil intake, ECU, 3 Port, Walbro
WWW (button below) for my Subaru/Audi dyno's, detailing, pics and mods!

xxxsti
Learner Driver

Postby xxxsti » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Brought some Good year f1 asymmetric 2 215/45/17 to replace the RE001's, which felt slippy in the wet. I got them for 210 each at beaurepairs. So far so good, Grippy and quieter than the re001. Will see how they are later down the track.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”