The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

fixed
WRX STi Driver

Re: The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

Postby fixed » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Anyone running the new Toyo T1 sports? Been offered them for $250/tyre locally, not much info about them on the 'net yet though.
(This is for an Evo, not a WRX, but the platforms/tyre sizes/etc are similar enough for tyre comparisons!)

I'm also curious what the recommendations would be for a daily driven '07 Impreza (NA, 195/50/16 I think?) - I'm eyeing off the lower-end Kuhmo tyres. Bit different criteria to a performance vehicle; obviously needs to be safe/grip well, but want a higher life out of them. Budget of <$200/tyre, probably...
Evo IX (previous 07 WRX)

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:23 pm

fixed wrote:Anyone running the new Toyo T1 sports? Been offered them for $250/tyre locally, not much info about them on the 'net yet though.
(This is for an Evo, not a WRX, but the platforms/tyre sizes/etc are similar enough for tyre comparisons!)

I'm also curious what the recommendations would be for a daily driven '07 Impreza (NA, 195/50/16 I think?) - I'm eyeing off the lower-end Kuhmo tyres. Bit different criteria to a performance vehicle; obviously needs to be safe/grip well, but want a higher life out of them. Budget of <$200/tyre, probably...

IMO, one of the best tyres around at the moment...

And great value.

Cheers

Ricky
2 Door Widebody in the build process...

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:41 am

What are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's like as well?
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Kaoself wrote:What are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's like as well?

Brilliant tyre, getting a bit old now and there is better tyres around at a better price, off the top of my head i think the PS2's are about to be discontinued and replaced. (not 100% on this) I do recall seeing something about some new tyres from Michelin.

Cheers

Ricky

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:54 pm

fixed wrote:Anyone running the new Toyo T1 sports? Been offered them for $250/tyre locally, not much info about them on the 'net yet though.

Ask 'mikes' - see his posts on Page 27 of this thread, he's now had a bit of time rolling with these tyres :)
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 am

Ricky, how do Pirelli P Zero's (which I have), Adrenalin RE0002's, and Kumho KU36's compare? What are the KU39's like compared with the 36's?
If not the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, then what would you recommend? I'd like a step up from the Pirelli's.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:48 am

Kaoself wrote:Ricky, how do Pirelli P Zero's (which I have), Adrenalin RE0002's, and Kumho KU36's compare? What are the KU39's like compared with the 36's?
If not the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, then what would you recommend? I'd like a step up from the Pirelli's.

I take it you have the PZero NERO again, a brilliant tyre, but getting a bit old now...

According to their price list, Michelin don't make a PS2 in 215/45R17, they only do PS3, yes the PS2 is better than the PS3??? The PS3 was introduced as a mid range type tyre, comparable to the RE001 & RE002 etc...

Toyo T1-Sport will be as good, if not better than your current Nero's... You could also go to 225/45R17 and get the PZero (no nero or rosso following the PZero part). It starts to get quite expensive though (but worth it) http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/car/sheet/pzero.html

Cheers

Ricky
9379 2616

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:54 am

Kaoself wrote:Ricky, how do Pirelli P Zero's (which I have), Adrenalin RE0002's, and Kumho KU36's compare? What are the KU39's like compared with the 36's?

Haven't seen a RE002 yet, nor spoke to anybody using them, from the pictures, looks like a quieter version of the RE001.

KU39's are a great old mans tyre, targeted at high end European type cars... Good for mileage, ride comfort etc...

KU36... Noisy, harsh, wear quickly... Grip like sh*t to a blanket, notso in the wet...

Again, IMO, you can't beat the T1-Sport for all round performance, value etc...

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:14 pm

No, I actually have the $500 a corner P Zero's in 225/40 ZR18 92Y XL. No Nero or Rosso.

They were on the car when I bought it and have now done over 32k km. My suspicion is that the rubber is just getting a little old and hard (manufactured 07), even though they have up to another 10k km worth of wear in them.

Would you suggest 235/40's for that extra 10mm contact?

Regarding the Proxes, are the T1R or R1R worth getting, or not worth the extra spend vs performance over the T1 Sport?
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Kaoself wrote:No, I actually have the $500 a corner P Zero's in 225/40 ZR18 92Y XL. No Nero or Rosso.

They were on the car when I bought it and have now done over 32k km. My suspicion is that the rubber is just getting a little old and hard (manufactured 07), even though they have up to another 10k km worth of wear in them.

Would you suggest 235/40's for that extra 10mm contact?

Regarding the Proxes, are the T1R or R1R worth getting, or not worth the extra spend vs performance over the T1 Sport?

There is not much better than the PZero, as has been said, very expensive...

In most cases, it is better to go 235's purely for the cost, 235/40R18 is fitted more widley, which means 9 times out of 10 they are cheaper than a 225/40R18...

T1-R has been deleted and replaced by T1-Sport, R1-R is same ball park as KU36.

Cheers

Ricky

El Greco
Blue GDB STI Driver
Blue GDB STI Driver

Postby El Greco » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 pm

How much are the Potenzas REO7s these days for 03 STI? has anyone bought a set lately ?

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm

El Greco wrote:How much are the Potenzas REO7s these days for 03 STI? has anyone bought a set lately ?

They have come down a fair bit, around the $330 mark of the top of my head...

Cheers

Ricky

RexandRegina
WRX STi Driver

Postby RexandRegina » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 2
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08
Hankook Ventus R-S3
Kumho Ecsta XS
BFGoodrich g-Force
Bridgestone Potenza RE070
Dunlop SP Sport 600

All of the above are better than PZero - and in many cases cheaper :innocent: :wink:

El Greco
Blue GDB STI Driver
Blue GDB STI Driver

Postby El Greco » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 pm

rickzta wrote:
El Greco wrote:How much are the Potenzas REO7s these days for 03 STI? has anyone bought a set lately ?

Cheers

Ricky

I had mine put on for $343 a corner in 2006 ,thats not come down that much IMO. :thumbsdow:

NissTrust
Impreza RS Driver

Postby NissTrust » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:39 am

RexandRegina wrote:Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 2
Hankook Ventus R-S3
Kumho Ecsta XS
BFGoodrich g-Force
Dunlop SP Sport 600

All of the above are better than PZero - and in many cases cheaper :innocent: :wink:

Where would federal rsr rate?

RexandRegina
WRX STi Driver

Postby RexandRegina » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:32 am

NissTrust wrote:
RexandRegina wrote:Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Hankook Ventus R-S3
Kumho Ecsta XS
BFGoodrich g-Force
Dunlop SP Sport 600

Where would federal rsr rate?

Niss, never tried the Federal RSR but I think they have improved the sidewall over the older version and this would improve cornering - my general feeling is the tyres listed above, and in particular the top 3 are excellent and in a different league to the Feds, due to a combination of compound and sidewall/shoulder construction. The Feds look like good value and with the tread are probably good solid track/road tyres without being exceptional.

As you would appreciate there are lots of "ifs and buts" and a lot depends on how, where and what you drive. :)

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm

El Greco wrote:
rickzta wrote:

Cheers

Ricky

I had mine put on for $343 a corner in 2006 ,thats not come down that much IMO. :thumbsdow:

They were up above the $400 mark...

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 pm

RexandRegina wrote:Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 - Grips well, fast wearing, noisey
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 2 Grips well, hard to come by in Aus, noisey
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 Grips well, hard to get in Aus, wont last long
Hankook Ventus R-S3 Never had much feed back, I rate them similar to a KU36
Kumho Ecsta XS Grips well, very noisy, not so great in the wet.
BFGoodrich g-Force Don't know anyone in Aus that has had them
Bridgestone Potenza RE070 Good OE tyre
Dunlop SP Sport 600 reasonable OE tyre, expensive

Have you ever used, driven on the PZero's? Not just read a repot on tirerack? The PZero is one of the best all round performers in Aus... Not easy to overlook for dry traction, wet performance and all round driver comfort.

You dont see any of the above (apart from the RE070 and SP600) as OE tyres, there is a reason for this... The PZeros however are fitted OE to some of the sweetest cars on the planet... There is a reson for this, they are a sweet all round performer.

Cheers

Ricky

RexandRegina
WRX STi Driver

Postby RexandRegina » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:08 am

rickzta wrote:
You dont see any of the above (apart from the RE070 and SP600) as OE tyres, there is a reason for this...

Rickzta, there is definitely a reason for this..... called cost and regional set up e.g. OEM = good general all purpose tyre that suits a regions climate and geography - unfortunately one size doesn't fit all. I had no problem getting Neovas in Tasmania :whistle:

I am glad my tyres are wearing.....it means they are doing their job.........the more you use their grip the more they wear. Obviously there is a cost associated with this. IMHO if you want the best performance from your car you need tyres targetted for the range of driving conditions you encounter and the style of driving you enjoy. I have always been perplexed by the "road noise" issue as tyres with more road noise will have more grip (generally), low road noise won't save your life, but better grip will

I am sure the high end PZeros (and not the sub-brands) are a great tyre, I simply feel you can get better bang for buck, then again somebody has to pay for the calendars and marketing :wink: - a bit like the carbon tax, we the end users pay in the end :shock:

NissTrust
Impreza RS Driver

Postby NissTrust » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:38 am

Anyone run r specs like A048s on a weekend street car? Notice they come as OEM on Lotus Elise and Exige?

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”