The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: The daily driver WRX tyre thread.

Postby Delivan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:11 pm

19" with a higher profile will struggle to fit depending on the car..eg stock struts or coilovers and they will be very expensive. You may need to get your guards rolled as well. Someone else will like the look of them as well so they will be easy to sell. It will also be difficult to find someone with 19" high profile who are willing to let you have a test fit.. We have 18s on one of our daughters bugeye and the really suit the car so we have continues with 18s when it needed tyres but our GC8 sti that came with 18s has had them replaced with 17s because it does a lot of "spirited" driving on less than perfect mountain roads. You wont have to hit a pot hole very hard going fast with 19s to find it disintegrate and damage the wheel although that will be the least of your problems if you are on a windy mountain road..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:48 pm

plusone - as nice as those Koya Racing RG TEK rims are, I'm definitely with Delivan on this one....ditch them & go back to an 18" rim, which is still 1" up on the stock rims for this model (235/45/17's on 17x8 rims).
I have 225/35/19's as OEM on my Golf GTI Performance Pack and the ride is horrid (even with adaptive suspension), mainly because there is just so little "give" in the 35 series profile when the tyre is only 225 wide....they are like liquorice straps :thumbsdow:

Check this website to play around with Tyre & Wheel sizes: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?wi ... offset2=40

I'm about due for new tyres on the GTI & yes you guessed right, they are ridiculously expensive in the size 225/35/19....like starting price of $350 per tyre for a decent brand :shock:

You could probably sell the 19" Koya's, buy a nice set of 18's and go for Tyres 235/40/18 which are only approx. 6mm increase in overall rolling diameter than the stock 235/45/17.

Interestingly, your current 225/35/19's are about a 10mm reduction in overall rolling diameter vs stock.

The above calculator shows that if you go for a higher sidewall in 19's, say 225/40/19, then your overall rolling diameter increases approx. 60mm from stock, which is a fair whack!!
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

plusone
Learner Driver

Postby plusone » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Snowy wrote:The above calculator shows that if you go for a higher sidewall in 19's, say 225/40/19, then your overall rolling diameter increases approx. 60mm from stock, which is a fair whack!!

I was actually looking at tyre calculators the other day for 18's and totally forgot about this...thanks for the catch!

Thanks everyone for making me spend more money :D My preference is to go to 18's I was just seeing if this way would be a cheaper alternative in the short run. Agreed on the ride quality being pretty average which is a big factor in the decision. Plus if I want to do any suspension mods it will be MUCH easier with 18's.

Only problem now is all the 18's I fancy come in 9.5" ......gee aren't cars fun :thumbs:

pswrx04
Learner Driver

Postby pswrx04 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi guys, wanting to splurge a bit on my tyres

I still have stock 17 inch 2004 wheels

current tyres are 215/45/17

what is a recommended thicker profile to fill out the wheel gap a bit that would fit on the stock wheels?

what are the pros and cons of thick vs thin wheels anyways.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”