GC8 RSB Upgrade

abeiq
Probationary Driver

GC8 RSB Upgrade

Postby abeiq » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a 22mm whiteline RSB with HD mounts (sticking with stock endlinks for the moment) - just wondering, from a post on another forum, i have read that upgrading the rear only without upgrading the front can cause snap oversteer?

but going from a few other posts, its mentioned that even without doing the front, the rear is the single best upgrade to a mostly stock Rex.

What are other peoples opinions on here, im concerned that that i will have issues with snap oversteer, should this be ok for the moment?

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: GC8 RSB Upgrade

Postby mv75 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Yep, awesome upgrade. I have a 24mm adjustable with stout mounts and end links on my 2000 gc8, *shameless plug* (car is for sale and all is still fitted). Only upgrade at the front is end links.

Very basic car stuff: Stiffer at front, understeer, stiffer at back, oversteer.

Car went from understeering to predictable with slight oversteer. Never encountered a snap oversteer. Comes down to how you drive it.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:03 pm

thanks mv75 - you have the same upgrades as me then :D

Hardrace front endlinks (terrible bushings -_- ), normal rear endlinks and obviously the 22mm will be going in now.

i havent taken it to the point of understeer as ive never tracked it, but the end goal will be to have an all rounder.

Cheers for the advice mate :D

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:10 pm

Don't need to track it, just go through round a bouts. :) Frigging scary when it understeers towards the curb. Only happened once, came close to wrecking, but ended up all good. Wasn't long after I first got the car, and never had any close calls since that one time. Got no problems with them anymore now. :)

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:16 pm

thanks guys, ended up installing today - one word - MINT! feels so directed and planted, taking roundabouts at a decent speed never felt better :D

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:02 pm

One thing you may want to keep an eye on is the two rear center sway bar mounts where they join the chassis of the car. The extra strength of the SB can cause the mounts to snap. This causes a terrible banging noise that will freak you out when they snap off. This occured to my blue one during some spirited mountain driving. One thing that may be part of the cause, apart from the age of the mounts is the fact that the car also has King Low springs fitted. I resolved the issue by welding steel plate on either side of the mount making them similar to the mounts in this add http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WRX-GC8-Rear ... SwpDdVTsoZ except even stronger as the plate is on both sides. Also best if you can do the front sway asap. Also try to avoid the end links that are like a figure 8 of steel rod...they also snap !!! like this one has

get this sort..

'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 pm

The figure 8 ones are for up front.

What you're first describing is the stout mounts.

Right there. :) The end links are the same as yours too, in fact, are also the same as the ones I put on the 2003. Put it's all good, abeiq said in his first sentence he has the better mounts. :)

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 pm

They make the figure 8 for rear as well. They are longer than the front ones. I had both that came with the 2 SBs when I bought them and one broke on the front and the back, so I went to the alloy type all round. Had no probs since.
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Wow, that's crazy. Both ends breaking. Although when I do see those 8 ones, I'm reminded of what you use to hold chain link fence with, let alone a sway bar. :)

I got these on the front of the GD;

Have to get those adjustable ones as the solid ones like the ones on the gc8 don't fit due to the alloy arms. Even so, they are still ~5mm longer at their lowest adjustment compared to the standard links. I'm still not too sure why you'd want them different as the sway bar pivots up/down to mount to the links anyway, so there is no preload happening.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”