Advan Racing GT - Will it scrub?

zrb
Learner Driver

Advan Racing GT - Will it scrub?

Postby zrb » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:55 am

Hi All,

New guy here. Soon to be new WRX owner (hopefully)

Unfortunately it's time to let go of my first car which I've had for quite a few years now. 2000 Celica ZR Manual. I was waiting for Toyota to come out with an AWD turbo (If only they made a new GT4), but it won't happen. I've been wanting to upgrade to an AWD with a bit more power than my car (not that hard really), so I'm looking at a new WRX. STI is out of the question as I don't do leather seats and can't really justify the extra $$. That and upgrading from a Celica straight to an STI is too big of a jump. Baby steps. Though before I get my car, I need to ensure I can get a decent set of rims. Stock rims and offset... I just can't do.

I'm looking at Advan GT's in machine black as seen below. I like coloured wheels with a chrome/brilliant lip, just to break the colour scheme a little.

http://www.yokohama.com.au/ADVAN-Wheels ... -Inch.aspx

I don't like going too crazy on offset, etc, so my choices are below:

18x8, +45 (Concave 1)
18x8.5, +45 (Concave 2)

I reckon the 18x8 +45 probably wont scrub, even with meaty tyres and even if I eventually get more low. I like the idea of getting the 18x8.5, +45 as the concave on them is a little nicer and will have a little more poke, seeing that it's 18x8.5.

Though what I wanted to ask is, will 18x8.5 +45 with meaty tyres be fine with more low in terms of clearance or would the rolling of guards be required? I'm not keen on rolling guards.

Here is a pic of the rear of my car for reference. I'm happy with the height. Wouldn't want anymore low than that

Cheers!

bigBADbenny
Impreza RS Driver

Re: Advan Racing GT - Will it scrub?

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:59 pm

As a general rule, stock offset rims allow the use of tyre chains, it's a euro tuv thing iirc.
Meaning you can generally change offset by 10-15mm eg +45 before running into guard trouble, and go fully flush at around +40 offset.
Rim width will play a part too so get on a rim n tyre calc online and play with the figures, based on the stock setup of the Wrx you intend to buy...
Note your hmm above points to a 5x114.3 pcd rim so it won't fit any pre my15 wrx and + 38 might poke and need guard work depending on what Gen you're after... The only +45 C2 choice is a 5x100 thus my slight confusion as to what Gen ur referring to :)

zrb
Learner Driver

Postby zrb » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:07 am

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, my bad. You're correct the +45 C2 choice is only 5x100, which is the old gen wrx. I'm looking at the latest gen, 2016. Cheers for the reply :)

I looked at my bros 2016 STI last night, which is 18x8.5 +55. They sit well i think. The 2016 WRX is 17x8 +55. That means the STI's rims are half an inch wider. So 12mm. Makes it a 6mm poke over the WRX rims, as it's 6mm either side.

Looks like my only choice is 18x8, +45 (Concave 1). So if my calculations are correct, it's an extra 4mm poke over the stock STi rims, as the STI has the half inch on the rim width which would give it 6mm over stock WRX rims. The Advan GT's 18x8 +45 gives -10 on the offset. So 10mm poke more than stock, but take away 6mm from the STI rims and you're only left with 4mm. I actually like the offset on the STI, so a mere 4mm extra poke should be fine. That's if I got that all correct haha...

SIMBAT
Probationary Driver

Postby SIMBAT » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 pm

I'm running advanced rgiii and the size is 18x9.5 +45. id say thats perfect fitment with no need to roll guards while still looking flush. i think you will be fine with 18x8.5 +38

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”