2004 WRX Brake Pads for road?

JBG
Learner Driver

2004 WRX Brake Pads for road?

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:39 am

Hi All,

The Bendix General CT do not agree with my rotors and squeel (all 4 wheels).

I had the front brake pads replaced with Repco Thermoquiets (have been told are rebranded Ferodo) and have been excellent! Very oddly they only make pads for WRX for the front and not the rear (they do make a rear set but for STi only).

Has anyone else experienced issues with Bendix pad squeel on their WRX? What aftermarket brakes pads have you found to be a better quieter solution?

(rear brake part number DB1220)

Thanking you,
Jason

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: 2004 WRX Brake Pads for road?

Postby mv75 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:52 pm

I have 2 pots on my 2003 wrx on the rear, what's the diff on the sti ones? Brembos?

Anyway, mine have the annoying habit of squeeling when reversing out the driveway first thing in the morning, anyone know of good pads? I'm assuming they are standard Subaru pads, I have no idea on its history there.

JBG
Learner Driver

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:04 am

Hi mv75,

Yeah the STi rear brake is a different caliper from WRX, as you said.

My primary issue is squeel in reverse also.

I thought it was only my front left brake. Turns out all four wheels squeeled, just the front left was so loud couldn't detect the others. Try the Repco Thermoquiet for the front. At least it should fix that issue for you for the front wheels.

Very curious what your pads are. Just pop into see your local mechanic, get them to put the car up on the hoist and have a look. Takes them 10 mins absoulte max. Let us know!

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:12 pm

I'll look into those ones for sure. But the squeal really sounds like the rears.

What about the rear 2 pots from the 2000 sti? db1379? Bit strange they also have them listed for the 1 pots on the 2000 wrx as well.

I don't know how you'd be able to tell the pad visually as I've seen them and others plenty of times, all look the same to me. :)

JBG
Learner Driver

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:33 pm

Well I know the current range of Bendix pads have their model written on the backplate (if at least the brand name). Didn't get to check the Thermoquiets before they got installed.

If you had a Subaru dealership locally, they'd know if they were genuine or aftermarkets just by looking, sure.

I got no idea what other brake model numbers may work. I figure they have a model number for a reason, might not be safe to vary from it.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:27 pm

Cool. If I find the time I'll jack it up and pull a pad out. Easy as getting these ones out. :)

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”