Is It Necessary to Upgrade Rear Brakes for Track Days?

pingu
Learner Driver

Is It Necessary to Upgrade Rear Brakes for Track Days?

Postby pingu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi I am looking into getting a second opinion, own a stock 2010 WRX and looking to track it at Wakefield Sydney

Going to be changing my front vented rotors out to Motorsport slotted ones soon and throw on some heavy duty pads for both front and rear wheels

Wondering whether it would be necessary to also upgrade the solid rotors on the rears to slotted as well or would it be okay to track it as it is with good pads

Wouldn't want any brake bias to drastically change in the middle of a session

Thanks for any advice

SIMBAT
Probationary Driver

Re: Is It Necessary to Upgrade Rear Brakes for Track Days?

Postby SIMBAT » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Its not really necessary. unless they are quite old or have grooves in them that can't be machined out.

i wouldn't bother "upgrading" for the slotted disc, it will still be a solid disc and the rear brake will only take about 20% of the strain anyway.

The bias won't change but if you run different pads of front and rear then you will probably start to feel the car braking unevenly once they get hot.

as long as you cool down your brakes for 5 mins the rotors will be fine. Just keep driving in the car park once you get off the track so your discs don't warp.

i recommend project mu hc800 pads all round. awesome track pads and quiet on the street. just very dusty.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”