KYB Excel-G's on a 2010 sedan

NIGPLZ
Probationary Driver

KYB Excel-G's on a 2010 sedan

Postby NIGPLZ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Anyone using these shocks with lowered springs?

I've just purchased some Eibach springs, which have only lowered the car 1 3/4 inch and now am keen to replace the shocks as they are over 100,000km old

I know I can get Excel-G's but is there anything else out there that perform well with lowered coils?

** not keen to go to coilovers, so please don't mention them **

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Re: KYB Excel-G's on a 2010 sedan

Postby Snowy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm now on my 2nd x set of KYB Excel G's with lowered H&R springs, albeit on my MY00 GC8, not a later 2010 model like yours.

But for what it's worth, I don't think the Excel G's are a good/ideal match for the H&R's (which are a little lower than Eibachs) as they were not designed to be paired with lowered springs and I get a rather low speed choppy/crashy/stiff ride as a result over road imperfections....undulations in the road are not a problem at all, just minor bumps & lumps in the road, even cats eyes for example.

N.B. I've now done approx. 105,000kms on this 2nd set of Excel G's, so they'd be clearly at the end of their life, particularly when paired with lowered springs.
And that's the other thing to consider - something like the Excel G's (which are not designed to go with lowered springs) are going to work harder or outside their "design brief", hence will most likely not last their usual life expectancy (read: not be effective for as many kms).

So look they might be ok with Eibachs (that are not quite as low as H&R's), but if I had my time again, I'd consider (and suggest to you) the following alternative Shocks:

- Koni Yellows (one of our club members had Koni Yellows with H&R Springs on his 2010 WRX and loved the combination of compliant ride & great performance). I think you have to muck about putting Koni Inserts into existing Front Strut housings, but seems to be worth the inconvenience. Rears are a complete replacement unit.

- KYB AGX Adjustable shocks (which as I understand it, are designed to work with lowered springs and I personally would pair them with Eibach Pro Kit Springs).

Another 'wildcard' option could be Bilstein B8's (also designed for lowered springs).
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension”