2003 wrx, no dash, transmission, climate control, fog button cluster lights

mv75
WRX STi Driver

2003 wrx, no dash, transmission, climate control, fog button cluster lights

Postby mv75 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:12 pm

Just got the car running again tonight, so, pretty hectic driving like this at night. lol. Anyway, would it be because I wired my gauges to the clock power/earth? It also threw a p0462 cel. I tried everything except pull the power from the gauges, will do that tomorrow. Tried plugging the clock back into its socket, etc. I even changed the key barrel light back to the standard bulb as I had changed that in the mean time too.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: 2003 wrx, no dash, transmission, climate control, fog button cluster lights

Postby Delivan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:52 pm

I am assuming you have checked the simple things like fuses...
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:47 am

Yep. Actually swapped the underbonnet "clock/room" 15A fuse with the horn one and it still worked, and doing this reset the trip counter, so must be working. And when I pulled the interior radio fuse it turned the gauges off too for some reason? Is the clock on the same power as the radio?

Also the temperature and the odometer/trip lit up cluster display are on, but when I turn the headlights on, they turn off fully instead of dim. The warning / indicator lights still work, just the actual illumination lights are not coming on.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Ok, moved the gauges to the cig lighter, left the clock un plugged. No dice. Also found an illumination fuse on the interior box, swapping it with the radio fuse proved it wasn't blown.

But when I plug the clock in, it and the radio dim when the lights are turned on. The bulbs appear fine on the dash as I swapped some illumination ones with warning lights, they worked.

I pulled the light stalk and gave it a look, couldn't see anything obvious. All wires are there bar some strange little spade connector that points toward the steering column. It looks clean as though nothing plugs into it and couldn't find any extra wires unplugged.

I found a module behind the radio; cont assy illumi 83023fe000 et30-043. Could this have gone bad? Does anyone know what it's for? I'll assume illumination, which I have none. I cracked it open, no obvious damage to the circuit board. Everything still "worked" without it plugged in, so maybe it.

The cel came back again too. Related or just bad coincidence?

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Had a trip to the auto electrician today. All fixed. Problem was a billion to one never been done before thing that happened. Why can't I have that sort of luck winning lotto? Nooooo! It always comes to bite me in the arse instead.

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stockhorse » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:20 pm

So tell us what it was.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:44 pm

It was an off cut of wire ~1cm long had gotten into the back pins of the hvac controls, and plugging the plug in forced it onto the top pin and it shorted with the bottom pin. This happened sometime when I was doing some wiring work with the damn hvac sitting out of the way in the passenger footwell. Oh yes, the illumination control module did indeed die. The electrician ran a bypass in the module so dash illumination works again, just no dimming available until I get a new module.

Checked my lotto ticket on Friday from last Saturdays draw and won nothing. Yep, all my luck went into that happening to cost me $300 at the sparky, and currently another $200 for another alternator that didn't change a damn thing! Which is the next issue, the charge system is not kicking in. 3rd alternator...

Check this;

The dash battery light works. That's fine. I pull the green connector off the alternator, it turns off. That's fine. I then bridge that black/white wire to ground, light comes on. That's fine. Circuit should be good.

Noooo! Damn thing doesn't want to throw more than 12.6V into the battery when running. Turn on everything to get a load, no change. I pull the alt-s fuse, it then works ( ! ) , but displays the battery and brake light warnings on the dash. I even tried swapping the battery from the gc8, no change.

Still throwing that cel too. I checked the plug at the fuel tank cover top. It's great, voltages around it were battery (12v), about 5 on another and like 1.5v on another. I have no idea on pinouts for this plug as they don't seem available anywhere. Fuel gauge works though. Pulled the seat bench, cabling is fine under it.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:15 pm

As usual, fixed it all myself. Got the new illumination module last week, it's working great. No more p0642 and alternator is charging, granted it's now charging all the time, (what **** up idea was that to only charge when there is a load? Save nothing in fuel but kill your $160+ batteries instead), but it's working at proper parameters with no errors.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Excellent. Must be a relief to have it sorted. I stress out when stuff like that, which I can't fix myself, goes wrong..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Heh, now p0851 appeared on the way home. Sigh. Hopefully it's just an adjustment required. A few sites have the following thing;

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/ ... fty-subaru

Go see Russ about that one tomorrow as I don't have that alignment tool mentioned.

Return to “Interior & Exterior Modifications”