2005 STi steering wheel into 2002 WRX

Subey
Red Bugeye Driver
Red Bugeye Driver

2005 STi steering wheel into 2002 WRX

Postby Subey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:37 pm

I read a ton of threads saying that this would be a straight swap, well it wasn't. As I understand it, 2003-4 STi steering wheels (peanut before the 2005 with DCCD) do swap in. These look like this.

I don't like the grey centre insert, so I decided to find a 2005 wheel and install it. I sourced one from an eBay wrecker that didn't come with the airbag igniter. No problem - I can swap mine over, right? (what forum threads seem to indicate) Wrong!

So after buying the 2005 wheel and taking mine off, this is what I had. I was going to swap airbag charges over but as you can see, they're different sizes.

Back to the drawing board. Or more accurately, my local wrecker. I ended up going to Import Nation in Braeside. They were extremely helpful and managed to hook me up with a 2005 WRX wheel, clock spring and airbag.

This is what the 2002 WRX clock spring looks like - notice the different airbag connector.

Why another wheel and clock spring you ask? Good question.

2005 WRX/STi airbag uses a different electrical connector to the 2002 WRX, so swapping charges was not going to work. I'm loath to cut and solder wiring related to airbags so I planned to swap the clock spring over in it's entirety. What about the wheel though? I originally was going to retrofit my cruise control stalk into the STi wheel as the wheel is from a JDM car that didn't come with cruise. Here's a post describing how to do this (on a 2004 wheel).

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.ph ... -9521.html

The 2005 WRX wheel, airbag and cruise control were sold as a single unit and were quite frankly super cheap - so I just grabbed them. I figured the cruise control wiring couldn't be too hard to figure out.

I swapped the airbag charge over from the 2005 WRX wheel to my new STi wheel then moved to the car side of the swap. I pulled my steering wheel off, removed the steering column shroud and pulled the dash trim away to access the harness end of the clock spring. I then removed the clock spring and installed the 2005 WRX clock spring in it's place. I had to mod a couple of the mounts that attach the clock spring to the indicator/wiper module, but once done everything lined up and held securely.

The rest just plugged in and to my surprise the cruise control worked with no changes. The on/off button on the 2005 stalk doesn't as in the 2002 WRX this is a separate button to the right of the steering wheel, but the rest does. I'll probably delete the button and wire in the stalk button at some point. There's always more mods to be done!

End result?

From this

To this

It's worth noting that in 2006 Subaru changed to dual stage airbags, so nothing after 2005 will be electrically compatible with an earlier vehicle. Luckily though it seems that the airbag charge size was not changed in later models, so you can theoretically swap in an 08 STi wheel and swap the charge over to be compatible with your control unit. I'm not that game...but if you are then this may be of use.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1963588

Good luck, happy modding!

sacar-1
Impreza RS Driver

Re: 2005 STi steering wheel into 2002 WRX

Postby sacar-1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Good work :cheer:
Looking to do the same with my 2002 bugeye.
I prefer the smaller cruise control stalk of the earlier cars though and frankly dont know why they changed to such a "chunky" lever
2004 Wrx Sti SE040R (with fresh Forged rebuild)
2002 bug hatch with Sti Conversion

REVNURAZR
Probationary Driver

Postby REVNURAZR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:29 am

Nice write up,

I also learned the airbag charge lesson the hard way, lucky I had both clock springs and managed to swap them over.

There is a thread, and I thought I saved it that explains how to wire the cruise control stalk button through the clock spring and delete the console switch...

But for the life of me I can't find it...

When I locate the later model cruise control stalk, i will be doing the same thing.

Mine is a retro-fit for now;

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:02 pm

That wheel looks real nice. Also that sti wheel just above, nice dye job, the grey looks like arse.

I'm really tempted to throw the 08 wheel in the 03 as I'd love wheel controls. So I'd need:

08 wheel complete with air bag
05 airbag for the charge to swap over
05 clock spring.

Sound about right?

REVNURAZR
Probationary Driver

Postby REVNURAZR » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:14 pm

mv75 wrote:That wheel looks real nice. Also that sti wheel just above, nice dye job, the grey looks like arse.

I'm really tempted to throw the 08 wheel in the 03 as I'd love wheel controls. So I'd need:

08 wheel complete with air bag
05 airbag for the charge to swap over
05 clock spring.

Sound about right?

You're going to have a very difficult time getting the buttons to function on the 08 wheel in your 03.

All the triggers swap from positive to negative (cruise control is the major one) and has multiple resistors etc...

There is a DIY to get it to work. Lengthy and detailed, it can be done.

Basically you have to pull all the buttons and switches apart and essentially rewire it all.

Need to be confident with soldering and removing components;

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1963588

More info ^^

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:31 pm

That stuff is no problem for me, do that with my eyes closed. :) I've already given it a read for that stuff.

Just wondering about the actual components.

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Just to clarify guys: if one wasn't worried about the airbag functioning, the 05 wheel into an 02 would be a straight swap
that just bolted on? And if one wasn't concerned about a functioning airbag or cruise control the 06-07 wheel would be just
as easy?
Is this right? Does it cause any ecu issues or warning lights driving around without a connected air bag?
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 am

You'll have the airbag light on with no airbag.

I did the wheel control 07 with 05 airbag into my 03 swap, it all works perfectly, I think I need to update the pictures on the thread, but anyway, an 05 bag is a single stage and has the exact same plug on the back of it and is a direct connect to the harness already there. IIRC that is. I could pull my bag and check with my old clock spring connector if you want. Let me know.

Now, the later wheel does sit higher as its spline is shorter, but does still fit. The only concern is that the stock clock spring tab post that fits into the back of the wheel may not be tall enough. I fixed that with a screw to extend its height. But keep in mind that was with the 05 rib mount with the 05 clock spring. I don't think I sized the later wheel with the 03 hardware. But the actual wheel should fit, it's just held by the center nut.

And you could just home hack in the CC stalk.

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 pm

That would be awesome if you could do that! But please don't prioritise it on my account.
I did want to fit the DAMD wheel in my bugeye, and initially thought I could just get an 05-07 airbag/centre (or the entire wheel) and use that. But seeing a few threads it obviously isn't that simple. Would like to get a clear idea of what is necessary before starting lest I make the mistake of assuming x price and y easiness; then discover it is going to be more costly and more time consuming than anticipated (as these things often are :loopy: ).

Isn't Subey saying above that the 02 airbag connector and 05 connector are different? Not sure then whether your 03 connector is the same as the 05, or same as the 02?
I certainly wouldn't be confident with any soldering there unless I was 100% certain or which wires; but I assume if I had the right connectors an auto elec could do it for cheap. Guess could even have a harness made if I could obtain the right male and female connectors so that the wheel was easily swapped back to stock when it came time to sell?

You have an 03 STi with the three spoke wheel originally or WRX that had the four spoke originally?
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

Return to “Interior & Exterior Modifications”