Lowering the seat of a 2014 WRX. Please help.

Too Tall
Learner Driver

Lowering the seat of a 2014 WRX. Please help.

Postby Too Tall » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm 6'7 (200cm) and currently own a 2010 WRX which has manual seats. I JUST fit, but am looking to upgrade to a 2014 premium. The premium has electric seats, which lift the entire seat due to the electrics. This means my knees hit the steering wheel, and the roof is so low, if the curtain airbags go off, they will decapitate me. I saw a post from last year about a guy who shaved a couple of cm off his seat; however, I think I'm going to need a good 4 or 5cm to get the room I need. I don't really care if the seats are powered, and was wondering if someone knew a way to get the driver's seat down a little more? I also really want the sunroof, so getting the standard model is out. Any ideas? I would consider an after-market seat, but dont have the first clue about them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

REVNURAZR
Probationary Driver

Re: Lowering the seat of a 2014 WRX. Please help.

Postby REVNURAZR » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:13 am

Aftermarket seat and rails will drop it about 8/10cm from memory - that was my result when I ran Brides...

Not sure if, for example a GD STI seat would bolt onto aftermarket rails...

Genuine Bride, Sparco, Recaro all meet ADR compliance AFAIK, so I'd look into one of those with genuine rails to gain some headroom..

bigBADbenny
Impreza RS Driver

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:51 am

If ur in Melb you can try my spare lib Gt seats, iirc these sit lower than Wrx.
The seat base springs can be modded for a little more low too.
The airbag plugs etc simply swap over.

Too Tall
Learner Driver

Postby Too Tall » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:30 pm

REVNURAZR wrote:Aftermarket seat and rails will drop it about 8/10cm from memory - that was my result when I ran Brides...

Not sure if, for example a GD STI seat would bolt onto aftermarket rails...

Genuine Bride, Sparco, Recaro all meet ADR compliance AFAIK, so I'd look into one of those with genuine rails to gain some headroom..

Good advice, and thanks for the quick reply mate. As far as you are aware, is it simply a matter of unplugging/bolting the old seat, and mounting the new? Or should i take it somewhere to have it professionally done?

I really love my WRX and it broke my heart to think i would have to get something else just because of the seat issue. I was looking at a BMW 335i as a possible alternative due to the cabin space; but, despite being an amazing piece of machinery, just felt so disconnected and automated compared to how engaging the Suby feels.

Too Tall
Learner Driver

Postby Too Tall » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:32 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:If ur in Melb you can try my spare lib Gt seats, iirc these sit lower than Wrx.
The seat base springs can be modded for a little more low too.
The airbag plugs etc simply swap over.

Hmmmm, i never considered a LIberty GT seat swap. It would make sense that they would swap fairly seemlessly. Sadly I am in Canberra or i would probably take you up on that offer, thanks though, it is a good idea.

Project_Dx
Learner Driver

Postby Project_Dx » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:38 am

I'm nowhere near as tall as you, and my knees always hit the stock steering wheel too.

The DAMD flat bottom steering wheel is probably one of the best investments I've ever made. I was put off by the price initially but it made such a huge difference, and now my knees never hit the steering wheel anymore. The steering wheel is also thicker and has great feel. I highly recommend you look at getting one.

Too Tall
Learner Driver

Postby Too Tall » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Project_Dx wrote:I'm nowhere near as tall as you, and my knees always hit the stock steering wheel too.

The DAMD flat bottom steering wheel is probably one of the best investments I've ever made. I was put off by the price initially but it made such a huge difference, and now my knees never hit the steering wheel anymore. The steering wheel is also thicker and has great feel. I highly recommend you look at getting one.

That is a seriously nice looking wheel. How much different is it from the stock one in the 2015 wrx? My knees are only half the problem. I have about a 5 millimeter gap between my head and a roof. Any bumps in the road are a one way trip to concussion town. My local subaru dealer have actually been kind enough to explore custom engineering the seat so i fit better (what a top bunch they are). If i have to, i could try getting the seats from a 2013 or earlier WRX as they were manual, like the 2010 wrx i currently own.

Project_Dx
Learner Driver

Postby Project_Dx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:14 am

Sorry I wouldn't know the difference between the stock 2015 one. I've test drove the 2015 WRX and the Damd one certainly feels nicer. If they could modify your seats, plus a change of steering wheel to the flat bottom, I reckon you could have quite a good driving experience!

Too Tall
Learner Driver

Postby Too Tall » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Project_Dx wrote:Sorry I wouldn't know the difference between the stock 2015 one. I've test drove the 2015 WRX and the Damd one certainly feels nicer. If they could modify your seats, plus a change of steering wheel to the flat bottom, I reckon you could have quite a good driving experience!

Agreed mate, all i need is around 3cm or so. I was thinking, perhaps after a while the seat will 'settle in' and compact a little. The DAMD seems to be 1cm smaller than the stock wheel (according to their site). Its a start i guess :) thanks for the advice!

mrjarrodcthompson
Probationary Driver

Postby mrjarrodcthompson » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Before buying the DAMD steering wheel - check my post from a month or two ago... I don't think it will solve your issue. viewtopic.php?f=104&t=85631

Since the DAMD wheel is thicker and smaller, at 6"7 you definitely will loose sight of half your dashboard.. It really isn't much smaller though and it definitely won't make nearly enough difference to you. Freaking awesome wheel though! Best investment i've made so far lol.. Go and buy it anyway!!

I lowered my seats by both stretching the under-seat supports and shaving a small amount of foam... Did the trick.
MY 11 WRX Sedan

# EJ257, Forgies, ARP Studs, VF52
# Flexfuel and a very long list of bolt-on bits.
# Tuned by Warwick @ Got it Rex

Sandown 1:26.2
Winton 1:48 in a 1992 Toyota Corolla :-)

bigBADbenny
Impreza RS Driver

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Iirc the G3 wrx steering wheel is height adjustable?
Sure is in the 4th gen lib on which G3 Wrx is based...

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:59 pm

I love the damd wheel. Ive been looking into doing, or something similar to my gc8. Yes pricey but all said and done once i achieve whats needed, ie. Single stage airbag, clock spring etc.. will look and feel totally different...ive got v6 sti seats and they sit bit lower anyway as from stock wrx ones.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “Interior & Exterior Modifications”