STI Wing fitment issues

boof
Learner Driver

STI Wing fitment issues

Postby boof » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:40 am

Purchased an STI wing a few months ago for my 03 WRX, finally getting around to fitting it and have some questions for those that may have done one before.

The wing appears to follow the lines of the boot as can be seen in the first two photos, however as you can see in the other two photos, there is a huge gap to the boot lid, the foam on the ends doesn't appear soft enough to come down to meet the boot lid.

Am I missing something? Will it close the gap when screwed down? or do I remove the foam?

Any help appreciated as I trying to get it fitted so I can remove the boot and start to prep the inside of it for the upcoming colour change.

Last edited by boof on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: STI Wing fitment issues

Postby mv75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:01 pm

First, use imgur, photobucket is dead.

ok, if you remove the foam, is there still the gap? I haven't fitted one, but I have one already fitted to my 03. The ends sort of look like there is grey / black dense foam there.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 am

mv75 wrote:First, use imgur, photobucket is dead.

ok, if you remove the foam, is there still the gap? I haven't fitted one, but I have one already fitted to my 03. The ends sort of look like there is grey / black dense foam there.

Cheers for the heads up on the images, if I removed the foam then no I don't believe the gap would be there, after looking at it again am wondering if the foam is just old and gone hard, and that's why it won't compress enough.

Will have to find one to have a look at and go from it seems

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:36 pm

You can look at mine if you want, maybe won't help much since it's fitted. Two options I see, try and get the foam soft again somehow, or just shave it.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:15 am

mv75 wrote:You can look at mine if you want, maybe won't help much since it's fitted. Two options I see, try and get the foam soft again somehow, or just shave it.

Cheers mate might take you up on that offer, can also check the measurements etc. If the foam is stuffed I will just order some new stuff from Subaru which may be a good idea anyway.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 am

Let us know if you want to see it in person or not. :) I'm not keen to remove it though as I've somewhat recently re-sealed all of the bolt holes.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm

mv75 wrote:Let us know if you want to see it in person or not. :) I'm not keen to remove it though as I've somewhat recently re-sealed all of the bolt holes.

Yep no need to remove it, I will organise to catch up with you and see it in person

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Looks like you are trying to put a bugeye spoiler on a peanut. The profile of the peanut is different with a more pronounced drop onto the boot lid from the mudguard.. The bugeye boot is a lot flatter...What is your car... 03 is the change over year from bug to peanut.
Last edited by Delivan on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Same as mine ken, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=86476

The sides of the boot lip up.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:07 pm

What do you mean, the spoiler or the car... If you mean the car is the same then that spoiler wont fit.. I think I have that around the correct way. My daughters Bug is not here to confirm .Either way I think that spoiler is off the wrong model for that car..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm

I gave the link, the car man.

It's a sort of ---____--- shape looking from the rear. You might be onto something that the spoiler might be wrong, but if it fits without the foam, then the shape should be right. I do know I have a difference in that my wing doesn't have those 3 plug holes on the bottom ends, it's got a long rectangle, but I don't know if it's genuine or not either.

REVNURAZR
Probationary Driver

Postby REVNURAZR » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 pm

All GD boots are the same, only differences are the bumpers.

OP looks like it could be a replica wing, they are often not a great fit compared to oem.

Can you see any markings under the wing, will be stamped Fuji Heavy Industries if it's a genuine unit.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 am

Cheers for the replies, mine is an 02 but an MY03 model so has the peanut/blob front end.

Will have to confirm the exact markings under the wing, but it should be a genuine unit as it came off an STI. The spoiler shape all match the boot lines, it just sits high due to the foam and I don't believe it should be just screwed down as its a rather large gap.

Will organise to meet up with MV and go from there.

superfly
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby superfly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Delivan wrote:Looks like you are trying to put a bugeye spoiler on a peanut. The profile of the peanut is different with a more pronounced drop onto the boot lid from the mudguard.. The bugeye boot is a lot flatter...What is your car... 03 is the change over year from bug to peanut.

The boots are the same between bugeye and peanut. I have a peanut boot on my wife's bugeye and it's a perfect match.

Return to “Interior & Exterior Modifications”