V6 STI TIMING

wayne6064
Learner Driver

V6 STI TIMING

Postby wayne6064 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi everyone I put this up on Perth WRX but did not get much response.
I have a ECULABS modded computer for the car bought from a member of the forum.
The car is a 2000 gc8 and the ecu has all the a options activated
Multi maps
Launch control
Flex fuel
Full throttle shifting
Map sensor
Can also do live tuning wide band to narrow band emulation and per gear boost control.

The software comes with a base tune file that is from a v6 sti.
I am tuning the car myself and have a innovate wideband O2 mounted 60cm back from the turbo in the dump pipe.
Logging is done with romraider and we can now log extended parameters.
Some of these include
IAM 0-16 (course ignition correction)
Engine Load 0-48 (used to help look up fuel and ignition tables and others)
Fine knock control. (read from the ecu learing ram)
It realy bring the older gen ECU up a level.
Not connected with them in any way just very happy with the product so far.
Now the main reason for the post
I wanted to see if other people who have started with a sti v6 map have taken a lot of timing out.
I think the Apexi power FC uses the same base tune so some people should be familiar with this.
I should back up a bit here and let you know the car has
EJ205
3" full turbo back exhaust Hiflow cat.
Fuel pump
Under bonnet Pod filter (unfortunately)
VF34 running 14.9/15.1psi flat to 6500.
STD 440cc injectors
Eboost2 I have not set up ecu for boost control yet
2014 STI Intercooler and OEM plumb back return valve.
Always 98 fuel of course
The timing has been reduced up to 18/20 deg in some areas to stop the knock sensor becoming active.
Could never hear any knock but next step is to make detcans to make see if the knock sensor is picking up false knock.
Any advice is welcome.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Re: V6 STI TIMING

Postby mv75 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 pm

I found the sti map was worse and just worked off the standard wrx map on my 2000 gc8 when I had it. I also had a vf34 on it, but also flex fuel with bigger injectors, stock box intake, I suggest you get one, and ran 18psi.

Get rid of that eboost thing and return control to the ecu. Also get a perrin ebcs pro boost controller.

Any specific Q's?

wayne6064
Learner Driver

Postby wayne6064 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks MV75
I do have a few questions

BOOST
I want to stop using the eboost but I am having problems with factory 2 port boost solenoid.
I tried checking the wire from pin 19 B134 on the ecu to the plug at the solenoid end with a ohm meter and could not get a reading.
Is the boost solenoid control wire on pin 19 plug B134 on the ECU.(the black plug).
I have tested the solenoid direct and when supplied power from the battery it clicks and stops the flow when you blow through the boost/vac lines.
When it is plugged back in the boost is about 10psi with pill and I have no control over it in the ECULABS software.

FUEL
The sti fuel map was to hard to follow when logging with the wideband.
I did a flat 11.6 fuel map from 2000rpm and load 21 up
The wideband reading did not match the fuel map.
It would be close at 2000rpm then go up to 14 at 2500rpm come back down and be about 11.6 at 3000 and from there head richer to 10 at 6200rpm.
The only way I could get it close was to rescale the MAF

I just got a stock airbox Picking it up tomorrow.
Will fit that and recheck/log airfuel.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:52 pm

I think most of your problems should stop once you get that stock box on. That filter you have might have a larger pipe diameter requiring a maf scale, plus yea, compensations will throw off the fuel ratios.

The wideband should read what it reads as it's a separate thing to the ecu, it'll just report whatever it senses. Do you still have the stock narrow band as the o2 sensor and the wideband just for monitoring currently? I'm running a plx dm6 wideband kit if that helps. :) Ran it fine on the gc8 as a tuning monitor, then as the actual o2 sensor, and currently as a monitor on my gd.

Make sure your knock sensor is in top condition, might pay to just get a new one.

For the wiring, I don't know on that one. I can't see it listed on the available diagram on the eculabs forum link, might need to email Emmanual, or just topic post about it over there. Also check along that wire on the loom in the engine bay, it might have been cut and redirected to your eboost controller. It should go to the bundle on the manifold and then meet up over behind the battery at the large plugs. See if there is an addition there. Failing that, see if the eboost controller has a controller wire to it and continuity test to that from the ecu.

ryano
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby ryano » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 am

yes boost control wire is B134 pin 19

wayne6064
Learner Driver

Postby wayne6064 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:16 pm

@ryano Slowly getting it sorted I think. Very happy with the ECU. Thanks mate

@MV75 I have fitted the stock airbox now.
I read the OL fuel table numbers should match the wideband numbers with stock injectors.
Did yours match. Still not the case for me.
The narrow band was stuffed so using the wideband 0/5v to emulate narrowband.
I think I need to rescale 0/5v output currently 0v=7.35AFR 5v=22.39AFR
Knock sensor was replaced with a new one 6months ago.
Still looking into the boost solenoid. The solenoid plug has 12v with the ignition on.
It has 33 ohms resistance across the pins so is good.
I have just started logging boost duty cycle from the ecu, so it is giving a signal out.
Just not getting to the solenoid it seems. Will check more around the wiring.
Last edited by wayne6064 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:40 pm

For gen 2 you need to set 0v=9.1 and 5v=19.1.

My wideband was non adjustable so I had to adjust the closed loop table accordingly to get the desired afr on closed loop. Open loop was pretty much spot on.

You also changed the options1? You need to add "16 = WBO2 closed-loop mode activated". So add 16 to the number already there.

Return to “ECU's and Tuning”