3b to z4 ecu Help!!!

SoobyTodd
Learner Driver

3b to z4 ecu Help!!!

Postby SoobyTodd » Fri May 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Hey guys

First post on the forum as i am new to the world of subaru.
I bought a 95 wrx about 3 months ago and overall pretty happy with it looks and handles great, Has had a new turbo and another engine with 110000kms on it apparently. when i test drove it it wasn't boosting correctly in my opinion but the
guy i got it off said it just needed a tune because it had a new bigger turbo installed 5000km ago. Me being new to turbo cars just took his word for it.
Turns out it had a split up pipe, after getting some quotes of a few exhaust shops over a grand i entrusted it to a mate of mine who has a small welding
business, 400 bucks later it was fixed, welded me up a new one wacked it in but something still seemed a miss, too much throttle while under boost caused spluttering etc, had to have it backed off or it would just carry on coughing and farting.
After researching ecus and how much difference they can make to a turbo car i started to wonder if mine had an aftermarket one or a stock or what?
found out where it was, took the panel off, and there it was, a 3b ecu, after more google action, found out they are from the earlier model wagons and are limited somewhat to what boost you can run and fuel cuts, mapping etc. Not to mention i have a td05 turbo and those engines had a td04 which would explain the bigger turbo upgrade the previous owner mentioned. Anyway to cut to the chase, i found out the z4 was the one to have for that model.
Got the z4 off ebay from the uk as i couldnt track one down in australia. put it in and started the car. The First thing i noticed was normally the radiator fans run constantly as soon as the key is set to on but with the z4 ecu they didnt. i am well aware for them to be running constantly with the ignition set to on they must of been hard wired somewhere? (correct me if im wrong) also there was a power humming sound coming from inside the cabin somewhere..., never-the-less i took her for a spin and it was boosting much better seemed how it should be, but no fans, i have a temp oil and boost gauge, and ive never seen the temp go over 90 degrees even on a 35 degree day whilst sitting in traffic with the 3b ecu with fans running so as soon as it got past 90 with the z4 plugged in, i turned it off and went back to the 3b ecu, fans back to running constant. sorry if that was a bit dragged on but just thought i should start from the beginning of my concerns. Any help on the subject would be appreciated cheers guys.

SoobyTodd
Learner Driver

Re: 3b to z4 ecu Help!!!

Postby SoobyTodd » Sat May 02, 2015 10:02 am

ok turns out im an idiot lol, researched that the fans are meant to kick in at 95 degrees water temp, plugged it back in this morning went for a drive let it warm up past to 95 degrees, still no fans got too 100 degrees and the fans kicked in halle- F@*#en-lujah. My crappy saas gauges must be out a bit.
Turns out the central locking works now too and the passenger windows. So happy, hope this post can help other noobs like myself, thanks to all those who viewed.

Slovashiso
Learner Driver

Re: 3b to z4 ecu Help!!!

Postby Slovashiso » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:35 pm

A good data and published for others to get to know.

Return to “ECU's and Tuning”