Need advice on a new ECU.

justbooSTIn
Learner Driver

Need advice on a new ECU.

Postby justbooSTIn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Hey :D

I'm new to the WRXclub forum and this is my first post here so let me know if I do something wrong!

So the other day I was driving around and my car completely cut out. Took it to the mechanics (Lucas Automotive) and they said it's probably the ECU so I called my mate who's an auto-sparky and he said the same thing. They took that ECU out and put my old one in and the car starts/works perfectly fine now. So all seems good there.

The ECU they removed was a APEXI POWER-FC ECU and it came with the boost controller (It was already in the car when I purchased it). The mechanic said I should get another ECU so I can get rid of the stock one.

What ECU should I get now? Is there anything else I need to do when I get a new ECU?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks for your forthcoming responses!

JBonDSS
Impreza WRX Driver

Re: Need advice on a new ECU.

Postby JBonDSS » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Matey. What year/model wrx is it, the run different ecu's , so there is different solutions for different models

2011 -HH 61.79 Calder 1:09 Winton 1.43 Sandown 1.30 PI 1.58
2012 - Heathcote 13.4 Calder 1.22(wet failure) Sandown 1.25 PI 1.59
2013 - Winton 1.44(7psi) Sandown 1.25 PI1.49 Sandown 1.26

justbooSTIn
Learner Driver

Postby justbooSTIn » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:53 pm

sheet my bad, I thought that information appeared somewhere else with my details.

It's a '99 GC8. The only major things it has had done to it is the suspension and exhaust system. Apart from that it is completely stock apart from some cosmetic stuff.

ripman
Impreza RS Driver

Postby ripman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:25 am

You could send your ecu to Eculabs and have it made tuneable or buy a powerfc or Linkg4. The link is about a grand more than the powerfc. There are plenty of other options available but I've only had experience with the two I listed.
In a lot of ways you're better off finding a tuner or workshop and see what your options are price wise and what they are comfortable with using. Unless you're tuning your own of course.
my 99
Bigger This, Better That
Plenty of Grunt, No Dramas....yet

Return to “ECU's and Tuning”