Learning View - is >5% A/F learning a problem?

Alpha Dog
Blue MY06 STi Driver
Blue MY06 STi Driver

Learning View - is >5% A/F learning a problem?

Postby Alpha Dog » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Very new at this so bear with me... :surrender

Just got a Tactrix with the objective to keep an eye on knock etc as I'm tracking the car. It was last tuned by Vin. TBE and CAI only - otherwise stock.

Its all good as you can see (IAM = 1, and all FLKC zero, so no knock hooray), except the A/F at idle. As I understand it, the ECU is reducing fuel at idle and just above idle, and adding some fuel at cruise. I've read on the Rom Raider forums that greater than 5% maybe an issue. Do I need to worry? I've checked for leaks, loose clamps in etc intake, although a vacuum leak would have he opposite effect? What about stuck tumbler valve (wild guess)? Or the dreaded air pump valves?

Or... maybe I should just drive it and enjoy it (it is going well...)

Photo credit: Joel Strickland Photographics - thanks Joel!

Subey
Red Bugeye Driver
Red Bugeye Driver

Re: Learning View - is >5% A/F learning a problem?

Postby Subey » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:36 am

Short answer - no not worth worrying about. Idle varies a lot depending on ambient temperature, load (air con) and heat soak so if you checked it a different day it may be +3%. So long as its not pegged at +-15% you're fine.

Alpha Dog
Blue MY06 STi Driver
Blue MY06 STi Driver

Re: Learning View - is >5% A/F learning a problem?

Postby Alpha Dog » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:59 am

Thanks Subey. I got similar answers on the romraider forum. I sent the LV to Vin and he was happy with the numbers and explained why they are.

After the BawBaw run all the AF numbers got closer to zero but there was two timing reductions of 1 degree...still not an issue I think. Roll on Sunday!
Photo credit: Joel Strickland Photographics - thanks Joel!

Return to “ECU's and Tuning”