Installing Power FC for GC8 (MY99). Car dies when idling and on load (AC on or demister)

nhia84
Learner Driver

Installing Power FC for GC8 (MY99). Car dies when idling and on load (AC on or demister)

Postby nhia84 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Hey Everyone,

Recently purchase a second hand Power FC (serial: PFCGC8F 020-1199) for my GC8 MY99. I've done the required wire swaps:

- Swapped Cam angle sensor and Crank angle sensor pins (pins 5 and 6 on the blue plug)
- Plug B134 (black plug), moved pin 1 to 21)

Trying to complete the Power FC 30min idle learn process but when once the car is warmed up (about 10-20mins) and I either turn the AC on, turn the demister on or the radiator fans come on. The car will stall and it wont start again till I reset the unit and let it cool down a bit.

The Power FC boost controller setting is turned off.
I've tried setting the idle settings higher but that doesn't seem to help.
The car was running fine with the stock ECU unit (I haven't switched it back to stock unit to retest again as yet)
Still has the factory MAF at the moment; will be getting a Z32 shortly (could this be root cause?). The AFM setting on the Power FC is set to GC8 Normal.

Did some researching and found some other discussions that it could be to do with the WRX alternator amps not being sufficient for the Power FC as its designed for STI's. The workaround fix being to run an additional line between the alternator and the battery.

Has anyone else had to go through this problem and can you please share with me how you resolved the issue? Thank you to everyone reading as well and anyinsights into this would be very much appreciated. Cheers!!

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Re: Installing Power FC for GC8 (MY99). Car dies when idling and on load (AC on or demister)

Postby Delivan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Get it tuned... You cant just chuck a 2nd hand Power FC on and expect it to run properly... Buy what ever else you are going to install, put it all on the car and then pay the $800 or what ever and get it all tuned.. The controller is only for adjustments AFTER the PFC has been tuned to your particular car !!!!!!! In the meantime.....drive it sedately or you will break something as you have no idea what goodies that PFC thinks it is attached to..... We have an Apexi PFC on our Ver 6 STi.... if I took that out and stuck it on my blue CS2 gc8 with a 2.5 engine it would not perform because the 2 engines, mods etc are different even though the Sti has a 2.5 liter engine in it as well. Different turbos, different exhausts, different heads, different injectors, different CAIs etc etc etc ... It has to be tuned for each particular engine if you want it to run/idle etc properly !!!
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

nhia84
Learner Driver

Re: Installing Power FC for GC8 (MY99). Car dies when idling and on load (AC on or demister)

Postby nhia84 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I realize it needs to be tuned and will get that done soon. If this isn't something a tuner can fix then whats the point of taking it to them? What I'm getting at is that with the power fc plugged in, it should still let the car idle without dying when the accessories are used to complete the idle learning process. I still have a feeling I'm missing something here. If anyone else could share their own experiences it would be really helpful. Thanks.

nhia84
Learner Driver

Postby nhia84 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Just an FYI just in case anyone else does encounter this again in the future. I managed to resolve this issue by running a 4 gauge wire with a 60amp fuse between the alternator and the battery. Idles and runs fine with accessories on now. Managed to complete the idle learn process so I can drive it like a granny till I get it properly tuned.

Return to “ECU's and Tuning”