New GC8 99 Owner .... Mods

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Re: New GC8 99 Owner .... Mods

Postby Androo26 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:49 pm

The clock has just clicked over 190,000 ks so its oil and filter time.

I got hold of this oil suction pump a while back and have been using it to do oil changes and its also very good at vacuum bleeding brakes and hydraulic clutches too.

For those that havn't seen one... you remove the dipstick and put the tube down the tube and pump it via the handle and it draws the oil up and out with out the mess and what not.

With each new car I use this on I always check and see if you can still get any oil out after by removing the sump plug and sadly with the WRX you can still get more out once the plug is removed....

So I wouldn't recommend it on this car ... Use the sump plug instead...

Other cars ive used it on nothing came out the plug hole after using it so make sure you check or you could be contaminating new oil with old oil to a degree.

Another thing Ive done to try to fix the surging problem is to reset the ECU via the green and black plug method as found on the interweb... It seemed a bit better but still remains.

I have another known to be good air flow meter to try also.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Ok so a bit of an update... Ive tried another air flow meter from a mates 99 GC8 that works fine in his, but it didn't fix my surging problem.

So i goes up to my trusted spares /mechanical shop and they put their scanner on it and it comes up with some brake switch and ABS sensor code.... but nothing engine related... so no AFM or 02 sensor codes. Hmmmm

Next thing im going to try is a top end engine carbon cleaner. AC Delco branded .. Spray into throttle body and idle stepper motor ports ect while engine is running and sheet loads of white clouds out the exhaust.

I know this is usually what happens so lets hope it cleaned out a heap of crap. Next up I pulled the fuel filter out. Some pretty murky crap came out of it and I can hardly blow through it.. time for a new one.

Waiting to test the results when I get another fuel filter.

I also had ordered a full timing belt kit , various hoses, water pump, thermostat ect ... im going to be busy over Xmas. Here is a couple of pics.

And I got some of this to put in the gearbox too.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Hand R Sport springs are here and also the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:55 pm

So seeing as though so much crap came from my fuel filter i thought id cut it open and have a look. Here it is.

It was worse than the pic would suggest. It is possible that a new filter may fix the surging problem... but I keep leaning toward an 02 sensor, I put it all back together and ran it.

The problem was still there. When i stopped to turn around I thought I may as well disconnect the oxygen sensor to see if it makes any difference at all... can't hurt I suppose.

And bang on... the problem disappeared , with it driving smother than it ever has while ive owned it. So Im somewhat convinced that the 02 sensor is a cause to the problem.

Ive also installed the rear springs , and the fronts ill do tomorrow..... Cant wait.

mv75
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Wait, you drove without the o2 connected? Of course it'll feel smooth, it's running fat in open loop. Your emissions would have been bad as well as economy. Just make sure to get a decent replacement o2 or it'll be surging again.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Ive now finished off installing the springs and also had it wheel aligned too. It sits a little bit higher than the Super low king springs but not a lot , I kind of hoped it was going to be about 10-15mm higher than it is ... but anyway still looks good and is a more comfy ride at this stage.

The 22mm rear anti roll bar has arrived too , so I fitted it up as well on the middle setting.......WoW!!!! what a difference that makes... Ive taken it for a fang up a twisty hill climb near my place .... Happy customer !!

DarkElement
Learner Driver

Postby DarkElement » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:30 pm

mv75 wrote:Wait, you drove without the o2 connected? Of course it'll feel smooth, it's running fat in open loop. Your emissions would have been bad as well as economy. Just make sure to get a decent replacement o2 or it'll be surging again.

yes yes!
07' STi Newbie!

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Im still driving around without the 02 sensor and yet still no CEL ?? Will get one soon.

Something strange that happened with the Rexy yesterday was ... After going to the beach and the shops I pull up at the local takeaway to get some lunch and when I returned I turned the key and ... nothing ..no dash lights, hazards, hand brake nothing.... Leading up to this there had been no sign of any trouble... started fine every time.

So i left it there and walked home in the heat

I returned later with my other car, a spare battery jumper leads and a multi meter.... I tried again.. still nothing. I was sure the battery had died and open circuited so I put the multi meter on the battery and.... 12.5 volts Strange.

Ive seen batteries just die before but never this ???? So I hooked it up with the jump cables and bang on it fires right up. Charging at 14.2 volts .. a slight bit low..

Drive it home and pull the terminals off the battery and any other earths / Power leads ect gave them a really good clean up .. Now charging at 14.45V and It hasn't missed a beat since.

Im going to blame the connections to the battery as the cause. The moral of the story here is, as regular maintenance .... clean the terminals on the battery from time to time it might just save you a walk on a hot day.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:12 pm

At long last my 48mm silicone 90 has turned up .... time to finish up the Y piece . Also pictured is the 48 to 50mm flared adapter i made

Here is the final product.

It looks ok and surely has to flow better than the plastic bit of crap.

After driving my 150kw @ the wheels Toyota Starlet around today ... the WRX leaves a lot to be desired, power and acceleration wise... its only running the stock TD04 at 10 psi I suppose.

Does anyone know what the Rexy might be putting out with stock turbs @ 10psi 3" Ex untuned ?

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Does anyone know if a 99 WRX ECU can be flashed , retuned ect ? Everywhere I look it seems to be Stand alone ecu only...

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stockhorse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 am

ryano wrote:look into eculabs it makes to stock ecu tunable without ecutek and can run MAFless to get rid of the sheet MAF on the my99/00, im about to ditch my ps1000 and go with eculabs

mv75
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 am

160kw crank.

You want a turbo upgrade. The td04 is pretty much already at its limits from factory. Get a vf34.

Awesome job on the intercooler. :)

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:27 pm

So I finally got round to getting a new oxygen sensor...... Plug it in and the surging returned... but a little less than before...

Is it possible that the surging problem could be because the ECU is untuned for the 3" Exhaust and better flowing cooler... It just feels like its lean surging under light throttle... I havnt got an AF ration meter to varify this as yet.

What I have on order is a Kiwi 3 Bluetooth OBD device and Torque phone app to see and log what the factory ECU is doing. Anyone else got one of these ??

mv75
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:34 pm

You will have more air come in with less back pressure. Reset the ecu now you have the o2 back in and drive it for a bit. The live compensation table should populate and sort itself out. See how it goes after a bit. If it's still crap, you may be at the limits of the ecu compensation and need the tune. If you can log the fuel learning ram table that would be of great help.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Should I just disconnect the battery to reset it ? Or the plugs under the dash type reset ?

Onto other things... I sold off one of my other cars today . I have on order some new T2 Rotors for the front and QFM A1RM pads. Also a new Turbocharger... ill tell you more when it arrives.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:36 pm

So I have done both type of resets now and am just driving it around so it can hopefully re-learn and iron out the problem.

How close to max are the factory injectors at 14 psi with the stock turbo ?? Im not keen to push a 190k motor/ box too much and want to keep power levels reasonable. Im not a fan of the power drop off at 5k so im going a slightly bigger turbo (exhaust wheel and compressor side too.) same -6 Exhaust housing.

After much research the turbo I have chosen is a Kinugawa TD04HL-19T ( the 9 blade hi flow STS turbine wheel and Billet 19T compressor ) Its not a whole lot bigger but big enough for what i need at this point. Im not after big power but more so to keep the good response and broaden the power band, improving drivability. Im guessing ill need bigger injectors too.
I want to aim for about 160-180kw Max.

I believe this turbo to be somewhere placed between the stock TD04 and the VF range of turbos. Something a bit different too instead of the same old VF34 rout that a lot of people go.

Any advice on what injectors I may need and or fuel pump ??

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:05 pm

New Billet TD04HL-19T is here... and it looks fantastic. (0.8 bar spring for the wastegate)

Turbine wheel specs. Hi-Flow 9 Blade Inducer 44.2mm. Exducer 52. Sizes are 3.2mm and 5mm bigger than the stock TD04L-13T

Compressor Wheel specs. Billet 19T Inducer 46.7mm. Exducer 58mm. Sizes are 5.3mm and 2mm bigger than the Stock TD04L-13T

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Always a good feeling when its all shiny and new.
Did you get yr stuttering prob solved?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mv75
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Man I cannot remember how close the stock injectors were, but they held up fine to a vf34 bolted on. Yellow top side feeds. I only needed the larger injectors going flex fuel. Stock pump should hold fine too.

There's a reason people dump the td04 and go the vf34. ;) Being a 19t you'll loose your bottom end and it'll all be mid range as the td04 chokes the high end still. But it'll be all mid to mid top instead of low-mid-nothing. It's got good top end potential, but the compressor just won't flow enough to match the larger turbine. But in the end you'll see a difference for sure.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Yes we found the same with td04s, they simply don't have the capacity to blow a lot of air past mid range revs..On a dyno chart you can see them just flat line at around 5000rpm so you need to learn to change gears earlier or run out of power.. As a stock turbo on rexs they are good as they are good at low and mid power band which for normal stock road use consumers is good but once the mods start, eg exhaust , injectors , cai , etc etc they soon become the fly in the ointment that lets everything else down..On a 2 ltr the vf 34 is a much more powerful yet versatile option, on a 2.5 the vf34s also become a bit ordinary as once again, they run out of puff too soon.
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”