MY00 WRX Wagon Build

RBrennan25
Learner Driver

MY00 WRX Wagon Build

Postby RBrennan25 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Hey all
Thought I'd chuck up a build thread to keep track of my own progress and what not. A few months ago I bought myself a nice GF8 wagon and I've spent the last few months tidying it up, and getting it ready for a track day - more on that later. Most of the work has been done by my good mate Brett, with a few of the easier things being done by myself as I don't have much room, knowledge, tools or time haha. The car itself was almost completely stock when I picked it up, with the only mods being Pedders shocks and Pedders ultra super mega unbelievably low springs. It also had a full service history since new, including a fully rebuilt gearbox by All Drive Subaroo around 60,000k's ago. Here it is when I first got it. Image

I then set about the things that needed fixing up, firstly the leaking rocker cover which I started and Brett finished off for me. Couldn't get that last freaking bolt undone, and it literally took him about 15 seconds haha. After that I changed the AFM because it was still running the factory one after 235,000k's

Then I had to raise it, the damn thing was so low it was useless. It was about this time that my tax refund came back, and I may have splurged a little
They were a fairly easy install, other than the little brass bush they supplied for the front to use their bolt instead of the factory camber bolt. We ended up just using the factory camber bolt because we couldn't make the bush fit. I have a photo of us somewhere with a blow torch and some freeze spray and still no good.

The coilovers are unreal. It feels like its on rails. Can't wait to tune it a bit once it starts going to the track.

I then chucked an exhaust on it because it was just way too quiet with the standard one, grabbed an ultrex turbo back because it was cheap and I was amazed when it fit straight up with no stuffing around. Would definitely recommend if you're just after a cheap exhaust, and I'll see how it flows soon enough. It knocked really hard when I took it for a spin after the exhaust install, which I kind of expected with a stock fuel pump, so I took it round to Brett's place and we threw a few more parts at it, Walbro 460 fuel pump and some DBA rotors and project mu pads all round

RBrennan25
Learner Driver

Re: MY00 WRX Wagon Build

Postby RBrennan25 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm

I also picked up a few parts off Brett that will get fitted soon, including a VF28 turbo, and some wheels that I have already fitted to the car. They need a good paint which I will do eventually but for now I need to worry about getting it running right. After the fuel pump install we were able to drive the car hard enough to determine the clutch was slipping on WOT and that there was a small misfire occasionally, caused by the leads arcing. Unfortunately these things meant that it missed it's first track day which was supposed to be next weekend, but that's ok there's always more track days.

Here's how it looks now with it's new wheels and ride hide

KevO-954
Fireblade/WRX Driver
Fireblade/WRX Driver

Postby KevO-954 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Looking good, don't forget to keep the pics coming. :thumbs:

sacar-1
Impreza RS Driver

Postby sacar-1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Everyone loves the wagons. :cheer: