GCEBE - Abrahams 1998 GC8 WRX

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Re: GCEBE - Abrahams 1998 GC8 WRX - Resonator Mod

Postby abeiq » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Hey guys,

As you've probably figured out, i like my car to appear as stock as possible (other than the few aesthetic mods). I was looking at a solution to a CAI without the risk of hydrolock/Needing a tune (as thats coming in the future), i looked at a few options including an in guard flexible intake pipe from about halfway up the guard then into the stock airbox, i read around on a few other forums and decided that although the resonator is fairly restrictive, the best air ram would probably be the stock one, but without the resonator, how would this work???? solution, cut resonator off of the stock arm and seal up the big ass hole, it may sound weird now but pics below. It also may be counter intuitive as there is a big ass flat surface now, but if i get the time, i may end up cutting the two necks and joining them with some flexible pipe in the guard.

stock ram arm circled in red

Stock resonator in one piece

Resonator separated from intake/ram arm - it does look narrow in this pic but i ended up cutting it a little more - come to think of it, it would have been fine as is in the pic :(

Hole widened and template made for ABS piece along with ABS piece ready to be joined.

Side view post cut

ABS piece in place, just tacked edges with CA glue

Complete and sealed up with epoxy, i had intended to use RTV/Sikaflex, but it would appear that both were left uncapped and dried up :(

Im open to criticism, again im just testing this though, it may work, it may be garbage, but meh, was bored at 11pm on a Monday night. I am also using an OEM filter at the moment, i will be ordering an apexi or cosworth panel filter this week.

(Y)

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Re: GCEBE - Abrahams 1998 GC8 WRX

Postby abeiq » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 am

Clutch Issue still happening :( happens VERY infrequently, like once every week if that and only when im giving it a bit and shift very quickly, no where near as bad as before but maybe thats just the stronger spring masking the issue :(. I will order a slave this week and see if that helps out, apparently its pretty common for the slave to cause this issue.

claor
WRX STi Driver

Postby claor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:02 pm

you have done lots of work to it man, good stuff !
Jason

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stockhorse » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Power upgrade guide for MY1994 - 98 Turbo Subaru WRX 2.0 litre engines

AIR INTAKE
Other than a intake noise no power here.
MRT used to supply and fit Cold air intake and ram pod style intakes, but with technology and recent testing and on the later models these were made redundant. The positive intake pressure with the factory intake is best kept in place.
A replacement panel filter in the std airbox will save on future servicing but give no power improvement.
Do NOT change the air intake on this model, leave the factory airbox in place.

From MRT performance website.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:04 am

claor wrote:you have done lots of work to it man, good stuff !

Thanks mate!

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:11 am

stockhorse wrote:Power upgrade guide for MY1994 - 98 Turbo Subaru WRX 2.0 litre engines

AIR INTAKE
Other than a intake noise no power here.
MRT used to supply and fit Cold air intake and ram pod style intakes, but with technology and recent testing and on the later models these were made redundant. The positive intake pressure with the factory intake is best kept in place.
A replacement panel filter in the std airbox will save on future servicing but give no power improvement.
Do NOT change the air intake on this model, leave the factory airbox in place.

From MRT performance website.

Thanks stockhorse :D, the factory air intake is still in place, the only thing i have done is remove the resonator from the guard and chopped it up. This does not increase airflow very much at all but makes induction noise a little louder. As said in the MRT post, i'll be going for a good drop in filter this week, probably an apexi or cosworth dry filter.

When purchasing my car i read a lot of info from the MRT site, these model GC8's cannot correct very well for the change so i left it pretty limited.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:22 am

time for a small update again guys, as above, my clutch was still playing up and sticking, it did it pretty bad on the way home yesterday so i had a mate pick up a new slave for me while i was still on the way home. Ended up getting home and replaced it pretty quickly.

When bleeding these, because the slave is angled upwards and the bleed nipple is below this point, air normally gets trapped pretty easily in the slave. I read online about using a clamp to hold the slave shut, the space was limited so i made up a brace to hold the slave shut.

come to think of it, i could have probably just left it unbolted and clamped it shut but then i wouldnt be able to gauge if the pedal felt normal easily, but anyway, below is the brace; pretty much, it goes over the front pitch mount bolt and i just used another nut to hold it in place, then with a bolt and 2 nuts, i made an adjustable stopper to hold the clutch fork against the compressed slave :D, this worked pretty bloody well and the clutch feels great.

This morning on the way to work i gave it a bit and didn't feel any sticking, i was pretty rough on it too. about 5 minutes from work the pedal started feeling strange, this time it felt different, like the throwout bearing or fork was stuffed ... eugh brain went in to melt down, did it at any speed, any gear in neutral etc, while i was having a moment, i took my foot off the accelerator and let it rest on the carpet, pressed the clutch a few times and felt the floor mat moving .. turns out the pedal was catching on the floor mat haha. so id say my problem was the clutch slave all along, glad i changed the master and put new fluid in the system though, the master had a leak anyway :(

TLDR: changed clutch slave, resolved sticking issue, thought issue came back, turns out this time the pedal was catching on the carpet.

I also had time yesterday to put the modified stock air ram and ducting in place, this is as factory as it will get without the resonator attached, its functional and does the job.

Thats all for now! I will keep an eye on how the pedal feels and if it sticks again :)

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Parts Parts and Parts!!!

Time for another update on GCEBE

I ended up getting a bunch of subaru genuine parts from partsouq and amayama for when i do the turbo swap to go along with my braided lines for the turbo. Replacement header tank to under manifold coolant pipe, coolant return, coolant feed and oil drain.

Actual pic of the braided lines i purchased - note these just replace the hard lines, the hard lines break pretty easy when trying to move them out of the way to remove a turbo apparently so i have preempted this and will be chucking these in soon enough.

I also changed out the exhaust gaskets as they were munched, sounds much better but still have a pesky leak i am trying to work out, pretty sure its the chineese semi unequal headers that the previous owner installed. and with that .. comes a set of Prospeed Racing UEL Headers, i have had my eye on these for a bloody long time and i finally managed to save a little bit last pay run and buy them. Troy was VERY helpful, and delivery was one business day from ordering. The quality is AMAZING! the welds are nice and clean, thick wall stainless steel all around with some beefy AF flanges on both the headers and the up pipe.

Obligatory unboxing shot of the headers only - i will upload a pic of the up pipe when i get a chance.

I dont want to heat wrap these because when heat wrap gets oil on it, it pretty much becomes a candle wick, i wanted to ceramic coat them as well but the only place i could find in sydney was in moorebank and wanted something like $300 to get them done :(, if anyone knows any good ceramic coating companies in sydney let me know!

Only have a fuel pump, injectors, top mount and tune left!!!!

thats all for now.

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:59 am

Looking good mate. Headers killer. Might invest in some myself. I want to do an aftermarket fuel rail setup so im keen to see yrs. Few bits to go with mine before engine assy. Look forward to see yr progress.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:27 pm

retroguy wrote:Looking good mate. Headers killer. Might invest in some myself. I want to do an aftermarket fuel rail setup so im keen to see yrs. Few bits to go with mine before engine assy. Look forward to see yr progress.

Thanks mate!

they are well worth the money, they are amazing, cost wise they are expensive but still cheaper than other big names while having the same quality.

I'm not too sure what im going to do with fuel, i have a mate with V4 STI Yellow top injectors (Side feed to suit early models) which are 440cc and should see me reach my goal of 180kw easily!

Cheers

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Well as for injectors, i think my my99 has yellow tops. Id think they are 440's . So if they are, you can have them. For where im going with my build, im going to get 1000cfm's. Might be overkill but at least if i do go bigger upgrade from what its going to be i'll be covered.
Power figures for me should be same as yr target or possibly a little more.
Ej207
Process west tmic
Power fc
Z32 afm
1000cfm top feeds
Built sti heads.
Hdi boost control
Rising rate fuel reg.
Vf28
Hoping to go close to 200 but 180 should be a mark.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:44 pm

retroguy wrote:Well as for injectors, i think my my99 has yellow tops. Id think they are 440's . So if they are, you can have them. For where im going with my build, im going to get 1000cfm's. Might be overkill but at least if i do go bigger upgrade from what its going to be i'll be covered.
Power figures for me should be same as yr target or possibly a little more.
Ej207
Process west tmic
Power fc
Z32 afm
1000cfm top feeds
Built sti heads.
Hdi boost control
Rising rate fuel reg.
Vf28
Hoping to go close to 200 but 180 should be a mark.

Thanks for the offer mate, if i end up doing a rail conversion i will pick them up off of you, because my car is a v4 wrx the injectors are different between v4 and v5/v6 :(

the 1000cc injectors are cheap enough now that if you can run them, its worth it ! gives you plenty of room for the future and even better if they are e85 compatible!!

I reckon with the STI heads and block you'll be pushing 210ish before you need to look at a gearbox. with a stronger gearbox youd be looking at about 235 on e85

you may want to look at a more advanced boost control method too, the HDI controllers are great but are very limited, ECU would be a good option and probably the best but i have a GFB GE-Force 2 which lets me change things like sensitivity (how quickly it will try and correct the boost curve), duty cycle (boost level) and probably the best feature along with sensitivity is gain control - this holds the wastegate shut longer when in low revs, letting boost come on quicker until it hits the boost limit set by duty cycle. these features allow me to get my td04L to come on a little stronger and helps keep it from dropping off as much in the higher revs although this is no replacement for a bigger turbo, it will sure help when the bigger turbo goes in

Keen to see how your build progresses mate!

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Cheers mate. Theres a set of 1000cfms that ive got my eye on. Not sure if they are e85 compatable though.
Ive been dicked around from a few gumtree sellers for a z32 so looking for one atm. Fuel setup will prob get sorted once block and heads are together. Gearbox will prob be the weakest part once all said and done. Having said that, with my driving style, it should handle ok.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:55 am

retroguy wrote:Cheers mate. Theres a set of 1000cfms that ive got my eye on. Not sure if they are e85 compatable though.
Ive been dicked around from a few gumtree sellers for a z32 so looking for one atm. Fuel setup will prob get sorted once block and heads are together. Gearbox will prob be the weakest part once all said and done. Having said that, with my driving style, it should handle ok.

Sounds awesome mate ! Double check they are, if they are and theyre cheap they should be worth it.

In terms of AFM, if your PFC supports MAP tunes, dont bother with the Z32 AFM, although the Z32's are great AFM's theyre still prone to contamination issues and failure etc, if you end up going with the Z32 make sure you buy brand new, so you know its fully working as expected.

haha yeah i was worried about the gearbox with my car but like you, my driving style is pretty tame, no clutch dumpies for me

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 am

Ive been told by a few that an ls1 afm works too. Ny engine builder said he used one on his gc8. Not sure what ecu he had but was on e85. So now im curious to see if anyone else has used it

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:02 pm

retroguy wrote:Ive been told by a few that an ls1 afm works too. Ny engine builder said he used one on his gc8. Not sure what ecu he had but was on e85. So now im curious to see if anyone else has used it

Thanks Retroguy! there are a few AFMs that work reliably, but my goal will be to go maffless for simplicity and reliability, should tidy up the bay a little too :) as long as you have an aftermarket ECU which you do, its pretty simple, there is a power feed, ground and signal wire, the ECU will just have to be set up to understand the different sensor :)

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Yeah getting Got it Rex to tune the car and install power fc. Tried finding info on an ls1 afm fittment to gc8 but couldnt really find. All relative now as z32 is getting couriered as we speak.
Clutch only thing to purchase now so its engine building time from here on

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:41 pm

retroguy wrote:Yeah getting Got it Rex to tune the car and install power fc. Tried finding info on an ls1 afm fittment to gc8 but couldnt really find. All relative now as z32 is getting couriered as we speak.
Clutch only thing to purchase now so its engine building time from here on

Yeah retro, Got It Rex should be able to sort you out anyway! theyre awesome and should know the best route to take. Who's building your engine?

Time for an update

I noticed the gearbox getting notchy and sometimes a little noisy getting into third, every little noise every shift, every bump etc makes me think something is going wrong (im paranoid my car is out to destroy my bank account) - i ended up changing the gearbox fluid with penrite pro gear 75-90 which was recommended by all drive subaroo (company that did the box), and also put in some smooth shift, feels much better now, pretty darn smooth, third gear is still a little notchy but i guess its just a subaru thing, if im shifting quickly into third its rough but when i shift with a decent speed its fine. i was also having issues with my clutch pedal, when shifting between gears, if im slow off the clutch i can feel like a little bump in the clutch pedal only sometimes happening when i disengage only, and when the pedal is nearly fully down - probably about 5% of my total driving time this happens - its not harsh but it still worried me so i ended up bleeding the system again and also moved the clutch fork back and forth a bit and that issue seems to be fixed, i was worried it was the TOB getting stuck, but yeah seems ok now. i also greased up the clutch pedal and i may just get some lithium spray and get the pedal assembly with it incase i missed any areas, then test. I also picked up a pneumatic bleeder which hooks up to a compressor - absolute piece of crap, does not have much pressure at all and is very fiddly to get working correctly.

below are a few pics of the process, i know the top mount doesnt need to come out to do the fluid, i just wanted to check everything while i was waiting for the gearbox levels to settle so off it came. Ive worked pulling off the top mount down to a fine art haha.

Old fluid :(

Thats it for now, im hoping to get the headers ceramic coated soon so i will have some pics of that install in the next month or so :)

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Dave at frankston engines and mate tom who is a qualified mechanic/boiler maker who has supplied parts as well.
Got bad news on my heads so in search for some blank heads with camshaft caps. Looking forward to see yr headers all done. Good to see yr troubleshooting wins too.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 pm

retroguy wrote:Dave at frankston engines and mate tom who is a qualified mechanic/boiler maker who has supplied parts as well.
Got bad news on my heads so in search for some blank heads with camshaft caps. Looking forward to see yr headers all done. Good to see yr troubleshooting wins too.

Awesome mate!let us know how it all goes, heaps keen.

I also went for a drive today. still can feel the bump in the pedal -_- im going to try and get my car up on stands tonight and make sure everything is tight! it is only happening on odd down shifts and when im a bit rough in first when taking off, i have a feeling something might be loose!

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”