GCEBE - Abrahams 1998 GC8 WRX

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Re: GCEBE - Abrahams 1998 GC8 WRX

Postby abeiq » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:15 pm

So, i spent some time driving my car lately and completely forgot about the pedal feedback issue, i guess the more i concentrate on it, the more i notice it, i havent really noticed it in the past few days, although i havent been on a decent drive yet.

I also went to pick and payless the other day and picked up some of the pedal stopper rubber pieces from a few manual cars because i noticed mine were munched, below is the worst, i guess 19 years of use is really starting to show ahaha.

A mate of mine picked up some plastic polish from supercheap and took to his cluster, it came out REALLY well, i decided i would give my cluster a go with meguiars ultimate polish which is very fine and normally used for removing light swirl marks in paint, it cam out AMAZING! the cluster looked caca before, it had grime and lots of fine scratches, i wasnt able to get our the deep scratches by hand, but the improvement is great enough already.

Cheers

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 pm

From about the 3rd month of owning my car, the fog light indicator globe has been out, its pretty frustrating not being able to see if it is on with minimal effort, so i ordered some globes to replace this, I will be selling these globes on here in the next few weeks when more come.

I will also be doing a DIY on this when the globes come :)

So, the short of doing this is:
1. remove trim panels around steering wheel lower
2. remove wiring
3. pop out button
4. locate lower globe in the switch and twist counter clockwise
5. turn over and tap switch module to release globe assembly
6. i had trouble with step 5 so i used a pick tool to remove it :(
7. bend globe leads out of their mounting positions and pull globe out
8. remove rubber boot that is over globe
9. put boot over new globe and insert into mount
10. put cover on new globe and feed globe wires through mounting base. you may need to trim the cover like i had to, this was because my globe was a little shorter then the OEM one.
11. bend wires around mounting base, these run back down the base towards the globe and then back into the base, you will see what i mean from the pics.
12. insert again and test .
13. be happy that you can now see the pretty lights!

Original Globe

New Globe with trimmed boot

New Completed globe install

Thats all for now :)

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 am

Finally got around to changing my air filter, the old one hadn't been changed at all since owning the car, the previous owner said it was done .. but i dont know how truthful that is. The old one was also a cheap crappy paper one, which was pretty caked up.

Ended up going with an AVO drop in filter which is able to be cleaned with water and an air dry. I was looking into A k&n drop in but didnt want the oil used for these to munch my AFM. The AVO filter is extremely high quality and looks and feels well made.

I purchased this from Lee at AVO australia, shipping was quick and the price was reasonable!

Pics below

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 am

Hey all, I have been quiet for some time, sadly, i think im going to slow down on the performance mods and keep the car clean and tidy. I'm potentially going to sell my G4+ ECU and VF35 .. but i am yet to decide on that!

I have spent a few dollary doos on bae lately, just small improvements, Rear strut brace and a radiator shroud. The strut brace was a PITA!!! i thought hey, how hard can it be, 45 mins going quick or take my time with a few brews and complete it in 2 hours ..... 3 hours later and 0 beers, i was an unhappy, sore and sober suby owner.

The whole process was so painful for many reasons, most being that i had a pretty short fuse from a stressful day at work and also because i didnt really have much light to work in.

The basics of the install are;
1. Remove rear seat base and back.
2. Remove plastic trims that go around boot opening behind seat back
3. struggle to find somewhere to place everything without damaging them
4. Remove strut top nuts on each side
5. Realise there is one nut on each side that is impossible to easily undo due to seatbelt unit being in the way
6. Give up for 20 minutes
7. Struggle some more and get nuts out
8. Jam strut brace plates into place and bolt back down - realise that wiring loom is in the way, cry a little, remove clips for wiring in boot, unclip most plugs in boot and pull out of the way, cry a lot more
9. bolt strut brace bar into place
10. replace all the gear that i pulled out
11. swear some more
12. spirited drive time

For some reason i didnt take any pics of it completed but i will add some later on, See below for a few pics

Seats out and plastic trim panels removed

Location of strut bolts

PITA Bolt

To be honest, a pretty painful install but it was well worth it, i paid $100ish from ultrex, it fit well, great quality, and gave a noticeable improvement in the rear, i feel like i can push through corners faster and more controlled then before.

Cooling plate/Radiator shroud! Probably my favourite cosmetic and "performance" mod, of which i am yet to test. this was a simple install, pull out radiator brackets and surrounding bolts, place radiator grommets in radiator place plate back in and then install mounts and bolts again. Ive put a few pics of the install below :)

Before

After

Grommets that need to remain in radiator

Thats all for now guys, hit me up if you have any questions
Last edited by abeiq on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stockhorse » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am

See you had a little trouble with pictures in last post :)

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:06 pm

ARGH!!!!! I posted that on other forums too -_- i hate photobucket!

fixing it now :)

Ty for spotting it Stockhorse

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Question .... why might you be selling the G4 Ecu... is it currently fitted to the vehicle ? What will you replace it with ?

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

Androo26 wrote:Question .... why might you be selling the G4 Ecu... is it currently fitted to the vehicle ? What will you replace it with ?

Hey mate, havent completely decided yet, its not fitted and is brand new in box, only ended up opening it to admire it, Reason im thinking of selling is i dont really want to dump any more large amounts of money into the car anymore, its just ticket over to 215,000 kms and i dont want to push it too much more, im about 11 months from getting my full license and when that comes around i'll end up looking at a new car.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Decided to do some more work on the rig. Just a few maintenance items and something a little different ;)

Spent some time on the last public holiday pulling out my Crank and Cam Sensors to clean them, read online that when these get coated in crap, the engine may run rough etc, it wasnt running bad, but cleaning them made it feel a little more punchy and rev happy - although this could be the placebo effect, i would like to think it made a difference :)

Terrible location of the crank sensor

Filthy Crank Sensor

Pretty Gross Cam Sensor

Also spent some time straightening/removing bent intercooler fins, these were horrid, i tried to straighten them but they were pretty much all brittle and snapped off - by snapped off and my removing of them, i mean the 2mm or so that protrudes from the core, please dont flame me for doing this, im pretty sure the tiny bit of material removed wont effect the intercooler nearly as much as having 80% or so of the core blocked as it was before.

Core before

In this picture you can see what i mean by bent fins that are sheared/bent and screwed, only about 2mm as mentioned above

Core After
Although not every fin is 100% dead straight, at least now there is a possibility for some flow of air through the IC instead of the blocked crap from before.

Im going to take the car to work tomorrow so i will see if cleaning up the IC helps at all, i would hope so, Removing the crap fins took around 3 hours to do, i used tweezers and picked pretty much every fin one by one

One last little thing i did was made a new shifter - I know it doesnt have a H pattern and is defectable, but i dont intend on keeping it on for ages its more of a novelty!

I will try and get some better pictures in the morning but for now these will do :)

Hit me up with any questions.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:41 am

Took me about that long to straighten the fins too on my gc8 intercooler. Top and bottom. I originally used one of those small flat head screw drivers from those little hard case packs, those ones with the silver long handle with the spinning disc on top. Then I found one of my regular flat blade screw drivers was a lot better and faster as it just fit in the space of the fins and shaped them perfectly oval again. I also had that broken fin thing, but just re-shaped them and left them on. The gd intercooler is much better. Fins stay straighter and I didn't have broken ones.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sun May 14, 2017 10:47 pm

mv75 wrote:Took me about that long to straighten the fins too on my gc8 intercooler. Top and bottom. I originally used one of those small flat head screw drivers from those little hard case packs, those ones with the silver long handle with the spinning disc on top. Then I found one of my regular flat blade screw drivers was a lot better and faster as it just fit in the space of the fins and shaped them perfectly oval again. I also had that broken fin thing, but just re-shaped them and left them on. The gd intercooler is much better. Fins stay straighter and I didn't have broken ones.

Yeah i think im going to end up straightening them a little more, or just replace it with a GD one like you mentioned, i had one before but decided against it as my engine is an earlier EJ20G (very similar layout ancillaries wise to a EJ20K), there is a neck off the top mount which joins lower down in the bay to the BOV, i would have had to get someone to weld on a similar piece, and i pretty much didnt have time to get this done.

Im actually curious as to how much power the stock top mount would be good for, i think i would be happy with about 160kw at the wheels, i have everything i need except the top mount and injectors, i can pick up a set of V4 STI injectors for my car for $100 from a mate .. and i have everything else i would need, so i think i may get a tune done in the next few months, i was going to sell all the parts, but while i have the car, i may as well enjoy it right?

I'll see how i go, i dont really want heaps of power, i just want it to be more useable, its a quick car, dont get me wrong, but i just feel like it could be a little better haha.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Sun May 21, 2017 11:51 am

It didnt take much convincing, but i think ive decided to put everything on pretty soon, i was considering not doing any of it, selling it all and then relaxing till i get my full license, but i guess i have everything already, so watch this space. I am on holidays at the moment, but i'll be taking the UEL headers for ceramic coating early next week or some time this week.

The plan is then to do the following all at the same time
- Intake manifold off
- Change gaskets and install AVO Silicone inlet
- Turbo off and swapped with the VF35
- UEL Headers installed

Quick question for anyone, will be getting a tune shortly after the above, but it will be a while, maybe a month, Will it be ok to drive untuned for a month on say 10psi?

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stockhorse » Sun May 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Mate you are talking bigger turbo,better intake,better exhaust all which mean more air in more exhaust out. but your fuel input is staying the same. Logically that would tell you that there is the potential for the engine to run lean (not a good thing to happen) In the lower rev range it may not be so bad but certainly in the higher rev range could cause knock, high EGT's etc, etc.
If it was mine I wouldn't be running it at all without a tune. I assume the delay in a tune is financial ( I apologise if my assumption is incorrect) but I would park it until I could afford a tune and catch the bus.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Mon May 22, 2017 1:31 pm

stockhorse wrote:Mate you are talking bigger turbo,better intake,better exhaust all which mean more air in more exhaust out. but your fuel input is staying the same. Logically that would tell you that there is the potential for the engine to run lean (not a good thing to happen) In the lower rev range it may not be so bad but certainly in the higher rev range could cause knock, high EGT's etc, etc.
If it was mine I wouldn't be running it at all without a tune. I assume the delay in a tune is financial ( I apologise if my assumption is incorrect) but I would park it until I could afford a tune and catch the bus.

That's a very fair call mate, I understand you're not having a go at me, I know it sounded moderately stupid to begin with, I'm more so excited to get it all done now, I may as well wait and get it all done at once :) thank you for your input :D

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Having similar mods to you I recently had mine tuned with a Haltech Elite 1000..( a bit of an expense I know ) but it did pick up 30kw @ the wheels to a total of 164kw @ 16 psi . Stock fuel pump injectors and gearbox.

30kw makes a huge difference over stock.

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Tue May 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Androo26 wrote:Having similar mods to you I recently had mine tuned with a Haltech Elite 1000..( a bit of an expense I know ) but it did pick up 30kw @ the wheels to a total of 164kw @ 16 psi . Stock fuel pump injectors and gearbox.

30kw makes a huge difference over stock.

Yeah ive been keeping an eye on your build, looks good :D. What top mount are you using again?

abeiq
Probationary Driver

Postby abeiq » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:02 am

Done a tonne of little things lately to the car (not really but you get the idea)

The steering wheel was a little tired and worn, so i picked up a leather repair kit and filled in the cracks, then re-dyed it. It came out better then before .. but eh im not completely happy with it, probably needs to be treated with leather protectant etc after some time, it scuffed pretty easily but maybe that was my fault for not giving it enough time after being completed?

Before, During and after pics.

Cracks at the top of the wheel

Prep sand

Cracks and damage filled to be sanded

finished

A deal also popped up on ebay for a decent paintless dent repair kit (PDR), i gave it a go on one of the smaller dents in my guard, to be honest, this was probably the worst one on the car, the rest are little door dings etc, i just need to spend time on them which i havent yet. The one i had a go at came about 90% out, again, more time = better results.

Before

After - the angle doesnt show how well it came out, still a low spot but great results

I also ended up ordering rear sway bar bushes, these were always pretty tired, i did these over a month ago but never posted about it :(. This was pretty simple with the car on the driveway, Heres a few pics. PS. I have Whiteline HD End links on their way, ebay had a 20% off deal from select sellers inc. sparesbox, picked up the links for $90 ish

Lastly, i had some colour matched paint left from when i did the vent, so i fixed up the cracks and crap in the hood scoop, im pretty pleased with the results, there are a few things i would do different if i did it again, for now this will do, it needs a good polish but i looks 1000% better than the cracked crap it was before, Previously, all the lips on the front of the scoop where it meets the bonnet and where the top scoop entry is was cracked really bad and peeling

Damaged areas sanded

Sanded and primed damaged areas

Second coat of base coat

Finished and fitted to the car :)

Thats it for now guys, im hoping to take the headers in this week to be ceramic coated :D

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”