Em's MY16 WRX STi !!

XXERT
Learner Driver

Em's MY16 WRX STi !!

Postby XXERT » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Guys!

I think i introduced myself in the wrong section earlier, sorry about that! But i thought id make a thread on hopefully a great build along the way!

Its a big change for me coming from 4years of owning an alfa romeo, which i still hold close to my heart! But i wanted something different and the STi for me for the value, the quality and the perfomance, was quite an easy decision to make! its my first turbo car and also AWD car, and i am overwhelmed with the handling and what the car is capable of, it is so impressive and is just so exciting to drive!

Due to being under warranty, ive said to myself that i dont want to touch it, but we know thats not going to happen i dont think!

So the things i had in mind in the near future would be:

- Exhaust
- BOV
- Lower the car abit but dont want to molest the ride quality(would just lowered springs be okay)
- Wouldnt mind fatter wheels to make it more my own

I am open to your suggestions and i look forward in seeing your rides! Cheers Emilio

Here is a pic with the recent custom plates i just put on - Car displayed at recent Custom Cars & Coffee show @ Caribbean Gardens!

--------------------------------------

2016 WRX STi

XXERT
Learner Driver

Re: Em's MY16 WRX STi !!

Postby XXERT » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 am

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to update my thread with a few things i did this weekend :lol:

First of all, few mates organized a dyno day at Revspeed Auto in Clayton, which i thought would be a great opportunity to run the car and get a baseline stock figure before i start modifying the car.

The car made 168.2kw at all four wheels, and i have attached photo of dyno graph, for you guys to check out with AFR reading also on it.

Then a few days later, i completed my first mod on the car :giggle: The GFB Respons BOV T9003. I just had to get it being my first turbo car ive owned, i just wanted to hear that sound!, and i think its great! Not a big mod, but put a smile on my face, and so far it has been fine, not messing with ECU or MAF.

Also to add, just a quick pic i took at the GP Track.

2016 WRX STi

XXERT
Learner Driver

Postby XXERT » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:15 am

Hi guys,

Last weekend i decided to get some more noise out of my beast, so i chose to go to my exhaust guy and get something simple and easy made up. I was about to buy the nameless axle back rear muffler delete system but didnt see the point, its just a bloody pipe with tips and the end and for like 500usd, didnt see the value in it. So i decided to make up own, with my own touch for the tips. I was after a raw,aggressive mean look, so i hope you guys like it. The sound from just removing the rear mufflers, is great! The crackle, pop and backfire i get sounds so good(probably once i tune the car, that me go away)! And the volume with the BOV is awesome! For $300 i cant complain! I personally think it sounds great, love the note the rex spits out! Here are some pics of the work done, easily removable to fit original back boxes if i ever need too, also i think there is some more power gained, well i hope lol :mrgreen: Cheers Emilio

2016 WRX STi

PAT555
MY99 WRX Driver

Em's MY16 WRX STi !!

Postby PAT555 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Wow you must be young fella to be going no mufflers on a Rex. That would be crazy loud and would drone no doubt. I did exactly the same thing in the year 2000 with straight through muffler. It lasted two weeks on the car as it almost sent me deaf at certain rpm. Also not a fan of your single tip look. But if you like it that's all that matters.
The older I get the slower I drive.

XXERT
Learner Driver

Postby XXERT » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:35 am

PAT555 wrote:Wow you must be young fella to be going no mufflers on a Rex. That would be crazy loud and would drone no doubt. I did exactly the same thing in the year 2000 with straight through muffler. It lasted two weeks on the car as it almost sent me deaf at certain rpm. Also not a fan of your single tip look. But if you like it that's all that matters.

Hey Pat! Cheers for the reply! Tbh i dont think its that loud at all, everything else is stock apart from the rear mufflers and i think the centre resonator keeps it down enough. Coming from a wild loud Alfa GT 3.2 V6 which straight through pipe all the way, for me this isnt much lol, ive never heard of an alfa getting an EPA for being to loud haha mine was crazy. Im really happy with how the rex is sounding now, come on man its a rex haha! And as for the tips. sure each to there own, just after a raw distinctive look to mine i guess.

2016 WRX STi

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:49 pm

XXERT wrote:And as for the tips. sure each to there own, just after a raw distinctive look to mine i guess.

Nice job, whilst I agree with Pat in that I don't think I'd like the volume of the sound without rear mufflers, I don't mind the raw/aggressive look of those single tips :thumbs: certainly makes it distinctive, different & personalises the look.

Is the pipework from diff-back stainless & simply painted or ceramic coated black?? And what diameter Tips did you go with??

Re the sound, are you in a position to link a YouTube clip of the noise this bad boy now makes at idle & with some prodding of the loud pedal??
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

XXERT
Learner Driver

Postby XXERT » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Snowy wrote:
XXERT wrote:And as for the tips. sure each to there own, just after a raw distinctive look to mine i guess.

Nice job, whilst I agree with Pat in that I don't think I'd like the volume of the sound without rear mufflers, I don't mind the raw/aggressive look of those single tips :thumbs: certainly makes it distinctive, different & personalises the look.

Is the pipework from diff-back stainless & simply painted or ceramic coated black?? And what diameter Tips did you go with??

Re the sound, are you in a position to link a YouTube clip of the noise this bad boy now makes at idle & with some prodding of the loud pedal??

Hey Snowy man.

The pipework from the flange goes to 2.5inch, then opened up to finish with a big 4inch tip to will thw hole of the dual factory tips, all done in mild steel, and then just painted black.

Yeah for sure, i was planing to do some videos this weekend when i have time and pop them up, for me the volume of the exhaust doesnt bother me :mrgreen: 1 Hope some of us can catch up soon!

2016 WRX STi

XXERT
Learner Driver

Postby XXERT » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:53 pm

I just quickly uploaded from my phone the only video I had so far lol just a quick clip, I guess you can get an idea, but I'll do proper videos this weekend, hope you guys think it sounds good, I love it!

http://youtu.be/ENvkijRH1AE

2016 WRX STi

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Sounds good mate!
Look forward to hearing more...at idle, another take off & a couple of drive by's would be great!
All41N14All

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Em re the rear pipework being mild steel painted black & being 2.5" into 4" tips, nice work for the $$.

And that short video clip of a take-off doesn't sound too bad actually, nor does it sound ridiculously loud.

But as Yeldz said, when you have the chance to record a few more scenarios (eg. at idle, a few revs of the loud pedal, a few drive-bys, maybe some in-car driving footage etc), it'll be interesting to hear :thumbs:
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

XXERT
Learner Driver

Postby XXERT » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:04 am

Here is another quick clip of my beast underload from the other night, hope you guys like it!

http://youtu.be/nASejFrV6Bk

2016 WRX STi

joffa711
Silver GDB WRX Driver
Silver GDB WRX Driver

Postby joffa711 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Sounds nice, not too loud at all

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:53 am

the GFB Respons TMS sounds pretty sweet too!
What percentage have you set to vent to atmosphere?
All41N14All

XXERT
Learner Driver

Postby XXERT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:33 pm

joffa711 wrote:Sounds nice, not too loud at all

Thanks Joffa man, yeah like it is loud in person, but dont think its anything over the top, i love it, want to do the centre of the exhaust now, the Y Pipe seems so small down there lol :mrgreen:

Yeldz wrote:the GFB Respons TMS sounds pretty sweet too!
What percentage have you set to vent to atmosphere?

Cheers Yeldz man! Ive set it too 100% opened fully to atmosphere :shock: , i think the BOV is pretty loud in person, compared to what you hear from the clip! :mrgreen:

2016 WRX STi

tim33h
Impreza RS Driver

Postby tim33h » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:19 am

sounds awesome!
my wife would hate it but LOL!

aahhboost
Learner Driver

Postby aahhboost » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:30 am

Am I missing something when your dyno result is only 160kw, the standard WRX is meant to have 197kw and isn't the sti meant to have 221kw or something

KevO-954
Fireblade/WRX Driver
Fireblade/WRX Driver

Postby KevO-954 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:06 am

aahhboost wrote:Am I missing something when your dyno result is only 160kw, the standard WRX is meant to have 197kw and isn't the sti meant to have 221kw or something

You are missing something. The quoted kws are at the flywheel compared to the dyno reading at the wheels. :wink:

aahhboost
Learner Driver

Postby aahhboost » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:30 am

Well I did not know that, I feel a bit ripped of now haha

REVNURAZR
Probationary Driver

Postby REVNURAZR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:44 am

Sounds good and i don't mind the San Remo Red.

I personally run the same BOV at about 25% venting, 75% recirculating.

Not as hektik sounding but less attention from the boys in blue

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”