R-2-STI Transformation - Build Thread

WoopdyDo
Learner Driver

R-2-STI Transformation - Build Thread

Postby WoopdyDo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:30 pm

As the title reads, this is a story about my new project car.
I recently purchased a 2008 Subaru Impreza Hatch from a salvage company in Melbourne (Pickles), it had some front impact damage (looks like it hit a ute tray), but for a total of around $800 it was a steal. Once I got it home, a quick check revealed that the radiator support had been pushed in along with the radiator and the left fan. This meant that the top radiator hose that connects from the radiator to the engine had been sliced in half by the fan belt and that the engine had no coolant. I've since replaced the fan belt and I am soon to get a new radiator and fan once the front damage is repaired. The main reason the car was so cheap is because the front airbags have been deployed, but this isn't a problem to me as the car will be purely a track car, mostly due to the fact that it would cost a nice amount of money to get it back on the road.

My main objective with this car is for it to be a hobby for me to work on after I get home from work each day.
I'll be gradually transforming it into a 2.5L beast, by going through all of the obvious upgrades to get to an amazing car that I can take to a track on a weekend. it will be getting a new EJ257 crate engine along with a twin scroll turbo and manual gearbox. This is also where I got the inspiration for the name of the car, R to STI.

Let's start with a few images of the state it was in when I first purchased it. At this point I had not seen the car in person.

Since then I have pulled all of the damaged components off of the front-end of the car, including the bumper, crash bar, headlights, bonnet, underbody engine cover, etc. I've also stripped most of the interior including the rear seats, passenger seat, roof lining, interior panels, spare tyre, etc.
Here are some photos of the current front-end damage, I'll try to take some photos of the inside of the car soon (you'll see why in the next paragraph).

This leads me to where I am today. Thanks to some fairly good connections in my city, the owner of a local smash repair workshop has agreed to help me repair the front end as a cash job and in the mean time show me how a repair of this nature is done. Quite a good deal if you ask me! The repair will bring the front end of the chassis rail, which was bent at about 45 degrees - 150mm from the front back into a straight line. This will in turn hopefully pull the radiator support back out so I can fit a new radiator in. The car has already been dropped off and I'm currently waiting for a phone call to let me know when I can go in.
I'll be sure to post some photos of the process and update this thread as I start doing some modifications to the car.

That is currently where I'm up to, I hope to update this in the coming week with how I go repairing the front-end damage.
I look forward to any advice you guys can give me and I hope you enjoy this project of mine! :thumbs:
Last edited by WoopdyDo on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my posts for the Build Log of my 08 Impreza Hatch, Time Attack Car!

matto20v
Impreza RS Driver

Re: R-2-STI Transformation - Build Thread

Postby matto20v » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:01 am

Im following with much interest!!
MY00 GC8 (Limited Edition)

WoopdyDo
Learner Driver

Re: R-2-STI Transformation - Build Thread

Postby WoopdyDo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Chassis Update

Alright! Got the call on Friday to say that he'd finished straightening the chassis rail, so I went straight over that night with a mate to help pick up the car. I couldn't believe how well it turned out, as you're about to see. He had the car for a little over 3 weeks and only charged me for $300 of parts, gave him a fair bit extra for all the trouble he went to for me on short notice. Here is the final result, straightening the chassis rail also pulled out the front radiator support, which will help me a lot in a few weeks time. All that's left in this area is to go over it with a few layers of white paint.

I also made a small amount of progress over the weekend removing components of the AC system, as it won't be necessary for what I'm going to be doing with the car. The compressor proved to be the hardest to remove, as some of you may know about. There is basically 4 long bolts holding it to the same bracket the alternator is attached to. 1 of these bolts had completely rounded itself (which was fun), and the very bottom rear bolt proved to be a pain in the ass. This took up most of my Saturday, but after breaking a couple of socket extensions, buying new sockets and adaptors, I was able to finally get this bolt out. If anyone wants to know how, let me know! Here's a picture of both the bottom bolts.

I'm currently in the process of pulling out the dashboard to get at the rest of the AC system and work out some wiring for the new control panel. I plan on wrapping the main piece of the dashboard in something similar to suede or alcantara, and mostly likely paint the silver piece that runs across the dashboard.

I'll be sure to keep posting over the next few weeks but it may be scarce as the rego and insurance is due on the daily.

Catch you soon!
Check out my posts for the Build Log of my 08 Impreza Hatch, Time Attack Car!

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”