New GC8 99 Owner .... Mods

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Re: New GC8 99 Owner .... Mods

Postby Androo26 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:57 am

Installed and bleeding it up. For unknown reasons I had a bit of trouble getting the air lock away from the thermostat so the water would circulate properly.

Here is how I get around the problem.

With the heater turned on I fill up the system with premixed distilled water and coolant and run it, topping the water up in my funnel as needed.

I watched the temp gauge on the dash for the temp to move. Top hose is hot and the bottom hose is still cold indicating the water is not flowing.

I then cycle the revs up and down to try to get the air moving..... this didn't work so I shut off the engine and let it sit. Pumping the bottom hose near the thermostat with my hand.. the water eventually begins to warm in the bottom hose.

Turn the engine back on and keep my hand on the bottom radiator hose till I feel the hot water come through and the thermostat is open.... run it till the fans come on ... go for a quick drive. And then recheck the water level once it has cooled down.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:24 pm

I found I had to do that too. Gotta squeeze the bottom hose. I put that down to getting some coolant past the thermo stat through the little dangle valve they have and getting coolant into the system past it. It heats up and the thermo opens letting the proper amount flow.

I have the heater in the cabin turned on and go by when it's blowing hot air to when coolant is done properly.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 am

Hi there everyone. Havnt been doin to much to the car recently other than enjoying driving it. So much so that Ive arranged a track day at SMSP in October . Fearing that I may break a sway bar link Ive got me some nice alloy Whiteline ones to install.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am

Check your rear mounting brackets for the sway bar.. where it joins the body of the car. If you have increased the swaybars with thicker ones..eg 22mm or 24mm it puts extra strain on the mount brackets and they have been known to snap off. Mine did and really put a damper on a spirited mountain drive I had been enjoying.. It must have gone bang bang bang about a million times on the way back home. I strengthened mine wih steel plate welded to the base and sides so it is like a box section now. You can buy alloy ones on ebay but I think mine are stronger now..Sorry.. cant post pics anymore.. Photobucket want $500 and thats not going to happen.. PS.... I have those same whiteline links... they are good but watch the angle of the front ones.. and keep a spare stock one in the boot and especially the old bolts as they sometimes snap the bolts if the angel is too great..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Use imgur.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks MV... I actually downloaded that yesterday and I am still learning how to use it.. I am lucky that my "free" limit on PB has not been reached so the hundreds of pics I have posted are still visible. Soooo many people have lost entire build thread pics, avatars etc.
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Delivan wrote:Thanks MV... I actually downloaded that yesterday and I am still learning how to use it.. I am lucky that my "free" limit on PB has not been reached so the hundreds of pics I have posted are still visible. Soooo many people have lost entire build thread pics, avatars etc.

Oh yea, all mine are gone. I have the pictures though, but unless there is a demand for it, I won't bother updating them yet. My latest thing was to put in a sti ic sprayer in the boot and use it for the windscreen. Mounted my old a118c in the rear window too, got an a119s up front now. Routing the usb cable for it was easier in the rear window than the front. lol. Just need to hook it to power, lucky my amp/sub is there so there is power, I'm just too lazy to do a couple of crimps yet. :D Going to size up a custom catch can next week at ARE cooling at brendale to fit where the old washer bottle was too. Also while working, I noticed bubbled paint around the master cylinder on the brake booster. Fark it. Had it rebuilt earlier this week, they bored and sleeved it so it'll now last forever. :) Apparently had some gouging inside the bore, so was leaking through that. Also sanded and repainted the booster face. I tried to get the booster off to do it better, but the turbo was in the way. Dammit. So job ended up a bit rough. Got rid of the old ganky green fluid and replaced with new yellow-ish dot4. I also noticed that inside the car the booster is very well braced. There is a huge thick cross beam behind the dash with a bracket welded to that, that the brake booster mounting posts go in that the nuts then tighten it to. I really doubt those engine bay side brake stoppers will do squat on this car. One thing I'm glad I didn't buy yet. :D

Androo26, still have that custom turbo pipe, or did you fit the silicone yet?

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Delivan wrote:Thanks MV... I actually downloaded that yesterday and I am still learning how to use it.. I am lucky that my "free" limit on PB has not been reached so the hundreds of pics I have posted are still visible. Soooo many people have lost entire build thread pics, avatars etc.

PB's free limit has nothing to do with their policy change in respect to 3rd party hosting.
Paid subscribers only have access to 3rd party image hosting.
You are lucky, so far...
I did see the roll out of their replacement image impact individual users across the internet progressively since the policy change.

They won't cut off your access to your libraries but any images on 3rd party sites will be replaced sooner or later.

Personally I downloaded all my images (as I had lost back ups) deleted each of them from the site, closed my account & told how much they suck for screwing up so many forums & blogs...greedy pricks!

Flickr is still free too however not so user friendly in respect to embedding images.
Tapatalk will give you free 3rd party image hosting for mobile devices.
All41N14All

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:13 pm

This is supposed to bring your PB pics back to life .. There is also a link on here to use if you use Firefox instead of Chrome..People on a Suzuki site have used it and got all their pics back...https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en .. because my pics are all still in play I can't vouch for this..
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Yeldz wrote:Personally I downloaded all my images (as I had lost back ups) deleted each of them from the site, closed my account & told how much they suck for screwing up so many forums & blogs...greedy pricks!

Exactly what I did too. I no longer have a pb account at all.

Booki
Learner Driver

Postby Booki » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Nice looking GC8. I have a bit of a soft spot for that style of rex. They just look awesome!

Good move on changing the wheels, those black rims were hideous :D

EDIT: Just realized there are 7 pages for me to get through!

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”