New GC8 99 Owner .... Mods

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Re: New GC8 99 Owner .... Mods

Postby Androo26 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:28 am

Cheers mate . I would love to have known this 4 weeks ago ..lol

I should be able to make this one for under $100.00. see how I go.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Ive gotten lots done today because my silicone reducer turned up a day early.

Ive also test fitted the Power steering res. Pic to come ...it has good even clearance around it.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:37 am

All welded up with hose tails too. There is one thing with lobster backing ... it takes a bloody long time to weld up.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:39 pm

A bit more progress. Old vs New

Nearly got this mess back together. Tomorrow ill hopefully have it running.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm

And its a goer ....fired straight up. :) Its a pity I cant drive it as its unregistered as of last Monday...... Ill get it done this week.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Ive knocked up a couple of custom brackets for this bug eye intercooler.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Rightio people , Ive driven this WRX to work every day this week and am just in love with it. Ive replaced the cheap Ebay bleed valve with a GFB Atom (black) and its running nicely at pretty much 14 psi.
It seems to go pretty well given the mild mods it has. The way it drives is just so much fun ... the sound... and the way the seats hug you ... and just handles and brakes fantastic ... but Im at a cross roads.
To spend the coin on getting it tuned or not. Its using a bit too much fuel for my liking, as an every day to work and back car. Im leaning toward a Haltech Elite 1000 Plug n play patch harness type ECU.... As I can remove it and use it for later projects/ Mods down the track ... putting back in the stock ECU if needed.

Can anyone with experience comment on how much better, on not it was getting it tuned as opposed to driving it around with similar mods un-tuned ?

After reading the below articles it would seem that tuning makes a hell of a difference, once mods are in place. ( It does make a lot of sense really hahaha)

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... t-1&A=1054

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... t-2&A=1064

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:57 pm

I decided to make a basic bracket system to mount my work light onto the bonnet catch so I can see better when working on the car... especially at night. Here it is.

Now I have plenty of light... And because its an LED light , there is hardly any heat given off.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:59 pm

I have also remade the intercooler Y piece because I wasn't happy with the first attempt. Its now much smoother internally and the Y section lines up perfectly to the cast alloy bits.

I also decided to remove the factory intake baffle so I could get some intake noise happening , spooling sound ect. Before I couldn't hear a thing , now it sounds just right.

Im going to make a cold air intake setup for it too. Perhaps this week.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:18 pm

The custom work is sweet. :) I can't tell you anything about the haltech, you'll just have to decide.

I did find in my gc8 that my fuel consumption got better once I hooked my wideband up as the o2 sensor the ecu used. Even with a new narrow band in. So something to consider with ecu choices.

With that Y pipe you re-did, should have offset the branch pipe better to get a 50/50 split while you were making a new one anyway. Looks awesome anyway.

How does it go with no bov? How is the compressor surge, many stu-do-do's? I did the boost hold mod to mine so I get initial surge before the gate opens. And with me putting a new 72mm pw cai in last week, it's a lot louder too.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:47 pm

Your right MV75.... I did consider doing it like how you said with a Y piece ... but I didnt have one at my disposal. Given the pipe diameter entering the Y pipe ive made is less than 50mm... (48mm to match the turbo OD) and then splits into 2 x 50mm sections there is no real restriction other than flow path of the air, as it opens up to more than double the internal area of original incoming tube size. Sure I could have made it better flowing angle wise yes but considering the torturous path the air has to flow through the intercooler end tanks , im not to concerned with it at this point (only a lowly power level anyways). It has to be better than the factory offering for sure.

With out the blowoff valve it does make a bit of a fluttering sound , but I kinda like it .

What is this boost hold mod you speak of ?

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 am

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. At least you don't have the ribs anymore and it's nice and smooth on the pipes.

The bov mod. You won't need it as you are running stock psi, and not even a bov. :)

Lots of great pictures and what I exactly did:

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/222 ... /note.aspx

Lots of talking about it:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... p?t=454965

My thread on it:

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=86045

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 am

So some big news is that yesterday I placed an order for a .... Haltech Elite 1000. Patch Plug n Play ECU. Just my luck that the month of May an 02 controller kit could be had for nearly half price when ordering an Elite ECU... so I got one of those as well. Its booked in to be fitted ant tuned for next week. Cant bloody wait.

Im well aware that the cost of this is half that of the car but... I went for this option as I can move the ecu onto another project in the future if I want to. And its got all the latest tech and features ect.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 pm

So the haltech comes with an air temp sensor. The thread for it is M14 x 1.5. Ive knocked up a plate in wich to mount it to the intercooler . The BOV location.

It will be handy here so I can data log air temps and overall intercooler performance.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:09 pm

I dropped the Rexy off this morning to have its new ECU fitted and tuned. The next time I drive it it shall be much improved.

Ive requested that before tune and after tune dyno runs be performed so they can be over-layed as a comparison between the 2.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Awesome. :)

I had some fun the last few days, just for because. I reversed the bov mod, and wanted to see what happens now on my 72mm pw cai, it sneezed like a mofo even at ~6psi. You'd think it had a vent bov. Plus it hit a literal wall at 18psi. Re-did the mod this morning. :) So no more sneezing should happen, just a bit of chu chu.

Love to hear how much yours goes chu chu do do do. :) And what was the tuners opinion when they saw what you did with the block off?

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:10 am

Aaaah nice, the old BOV discussion. Im quite aware of the function of a BOV but am not totally convinced that you have to have one.

The OEM put one in place to stop the chu chu chu and in some air flow metered cars the air pulsing can play havoc ect and perhaps high boost is a good Idea also.

But Ive been playing and building turbo setups for years... some with and some without a BOV. Vent to atmosphere if you must but I dont really like the sound of it to be honest. Ill leave it the way it is with a nice subtle chu chu chu.

Can you explain what you mean by " hit the wall at 18 psi" ?

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:06 am

Whilst looking around the NET ive come across this EWG up pipe.

I did think about doing this when I had my motor out. Given my new turbo still uses the small 6cm exhaust housing this could work quite well at bypassing any un-needed exhaust gas before it gets to the smallish housing. Lessening the bottleneck, making more power.

Has anyone on here tried it with results ? It should work well in theory.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Androo26 wrote:Aaaah nice, the old BOV discussion. Im quite aware of the function of a BOV but am not totally convinced that you have to have one.

The OEM put one in place to stop the chu chu chu and in some air flow metered cars the air pulsing can play havoc ect and perhaps high boost is a good Idea also.

But Ive been playing and building turbo setups for years... some with and some without a BOV. Vent to atmosphere if you must but I dont really like the sound of it to be honest. Ill leave it the way it is with a nice subtle chu chu chu.

Can you explain what you mean by " hit the wall at 18 psi" ?

Yea, the wrx is supposed to be prone to air going back through the turbo and reverse flowing the afm is why they put the bov apparently.

I've never vented to atmo, but man, it sounded like one with the new cai on. :) It was loud as with standard bov. I was just making the comparison as we all know what a vent to atmo sounds like. This was standard plumb back.

Hit the wall at 18psi, the bov spring cracked open. No more boost past that point. Re-mod and it now holds whatever I want, and goes chu for a second on sudden throttle release. :)

So did the tuner comment on it at all?

As for the ewg, I always suspected that you'd only benefit from them when the turbo is so large that a proper sized flapper wouldn't fit next to the larger turbine vent. Or the design of the turbo you want just doesn't have an internal wastegate in its design.

Androo26
Probationary Driver

Postby Androo26 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 am

Yeah the tuner did ask me if I was going to run one ( he didnt ask why or try to talk me out of it so who knows )... but seeing as though the Haltech is map sensor based and Im only going to be running 15 psi , I dont see the point. I love the way it sounds as is.

In your case the Bov was lifting off its seat at 18psi and venting... Cheers for clearing that up.

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”