Boofs MY03 WRX

boof
Learner Driver

Boofs MY03 WRX

Postby boof » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:38 am

Well thought it was probably time to start one of these.

I have been out of cars for quite some time, spent plenty of time over the last 15 years or so playing around modifying 4wds, and doing a lot of camping and off roading.

With the kids getting older, and their sporting commitments meaning I had less and less time to use the 4wds. I decided to pick up a cheap fun car that I could use to run the kids to sports and do the odd tack day or similar. Have always wanted a WRX so started looking around for one.

Found a cheap one that needed some work close to home and picked it up Nov 16, the previous owner was moving house that weekend and needed it gone. It had leaks, buggered clutch, key scratch down the entire left side of the car, sideskirts were stuffed, tyres needed replacing, front bumper had lots of paint issues, window tint was rubbish, and some other stuff I forget.

Details of the car below as purchased

2002 Impreza WRX MY03 Upgrade
150,###Ks
5 Speed Manual
3" Exhaust with stupidly loud cannon muffler
Aftermarket head unit
Cheap rubbish Sub and Amp

After a few hours cleaning it looked like this

Last edited by boof on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

boof
Learner Driver

Re: Boofs MY03 WRX

Postby boof » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:47 am

Took it to the guys at Subi Evolution, who went through it for me, turned out despite the condition it appeared pretty mechanically sound.

They removed the exhaust and replaced it with a 3" X Force Varex with twin tips, looks less boy racer and quietened it down a bit, much to the disgust of my middle son. Got the tint redone, threw on some Potenza RE001s, replaced the skirts with some 2nd hand STI ones, removed the spotlight surrounds as the paint was flaking off and threw on some covers I was given.

A week after getting it back I went out to Willowbank for the Downshift Breaky and Laps session, took the middle son out and he had a ball. Have done a few of these now and no issues at all with the car, had a sensor crap itself on the last one but to date that is the only issue I have had.

Pics from Willowbank

Last edited by boof on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 pm

The rims on the car were pretty badly gutter rashed and I wanted something different.

I managed to pick up a later model set for cheap that were also gutter rashed and damaged. Spent some time repairing them up and resprayed them in an aluminium colour with some gold through it, the local paint shop mixed up for me. They came with the fake STI caps which I have left for now but will probably change out later. Am currently repairing the original rims so I can sell them off.

Haven't gotten any pics of them on the car as yet might give it a wash and take some over the weekend, also did the red caliper mod somewhere along the line.

At this stage I am getting everything together to respray the car in September, am going for a colour change and will start stripping parts to start sanding after my next trip to the track. (Might give Roll Racing a go for a laugh) I will replace the rear wing with an STI one but there will no badging on the car. I get many hate STI wings on WRXs, however I am not building a replica, I just like the kit and personally couldn't give a toss what others think of it.

After the paint is done and looking at replacing the springs to bring it slightly lower, and am looking at new TMIC, larger turbo, injectors, CAI etc for a bit more go. After that not sure, as I am really leaning towards a V5 STI, time will tell, I have been known to go a little overboard in the past.
Last edited by boof on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 pm

That exhaust is what I have on mine too. I think it's reasonably loud, the one it came with must have really been a pile of crap.

Go for it with the wing. My car came with that wing already on it, I really don't care that it's there. I also have the larger scoop too, again came with the car and again, I don't mind it. :)

That's cool you can fix the wheels, should do mine. :)

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stockhorse » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 pm

is this "boof" from outers?

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:31 am

mv75 wrote:That exhaust is what I have on mine too. I think it's reasonably loud, the one it came with must have really been a pile of crap.

Go for it with the wing. My car came with that wing already on it, I really don't care that it's there. I also have the larger scoop too, again came with the car and again, I don't mind it. :)

That's cool you can fix the wheels, should do mine. :)

Yeh the old one resonated something terrible during normal driving, the new one is much better, have looked at the larger scoop and keep thinking if I am going to do it, should probably do it before I paint the car. The wheels are pretty easy to do, just time consuming.

stockhorse wrote:is this "boof" from outers?

No on Outers I was booflux,

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Picked up an STI TMIC this week, starting to gather parts for the minor power upgrades after I finish respraying it.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:29 am

Finished repairing the original wheels, now just need to get the tyres put back on and get them up for sale.

Been a while since I sprayed anything of substance, so decided to have a play before I start pulling the car apart, came off the gun well. However I have been doing a lot of reading and research on wet sanding, so part of the reason for the trial spray was to have a crack at that. Not real happy with the result, although I believe my lack of a DA small enough for the part is the main issue. Will organise a DA with smaller surface area so I can use on the smaller pieces and try that. Worst case if it doesn't come up, will sand it back and start again. Wont start on the car until I get a result I am happy with on the trial pieces.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Sort out that wing? Haven't heard anything from you in a long time.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 am

mv75 wrote:Sort out that wing? Haven't heard anything from you in a long time.

Been flat out, got the wing sorted, it appears to be genuine, have played around with it a fair bit and it should now sit flat. Hoping to get it trial fitted this weekend.

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 am

Few changes, not enough time and motivation to change the colour, so decided just to tidy up the current paintwork. Started on the easier items and have left the key scratch for now, will get started on that after the Christmas madness is all over.

Also turns out the wing isn't genuine and while its fitted, the fit is not ideal, I can live with it.

Hired a spray booth last Saturday and got it in colour.

Prepped and ready to go

Base Coat on

boof
Learner Driver

Postby boof » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 am

Cleared

The back of the car is now back together, will be doing the black infills on the scoop and front spoiler this weekend so I can look at getting it back together.

Keen eyes will also notice the issue with the rear bumper on the stands, it had a bad reaction to the paint and I had to sand it back while there and tidy up, is ok for now but will be redoing that corner and fade it in when I do the key scratch down the side.

Return to “Photo Gallery and Build Threads”