Chip / Scratch and Road rash repairs.

mrjarrodcthompson
Probationary Driver

Chip / Scratch and Road rash repairs.

Postby mrjarrodcthompson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:57 pm

I have a 2011 WRX and it has done quite a few highway miles and track work. As a result the bonnet and front guards had quite a bit of road rash and chips for a 5 year old car.
I was about to pull the trigger and have a bonnet respray done but came across promising DIY solution so I thought, what's there to lose.

For those who have tried stonechip repair, it's a pretty painful process to do - for me it was always noticeable (and so road rash repair was out of the question). The primary issue being that there is basically always excess paint around the area that you somehow need to remove. This might be through fine sanding, cutting/polishing or some other method.

I stumbled across the "Dr Colorchip" system (lots of user reviews - all of them positive) which solves the issue by using an "activator" solution. The solution quickly removes all excess paint from around the chip/scratch and then you buff with a microfibre. The paint is colour matched (e.g. mine is 02c WRC Blue Pearl) and is a special formulation to work with the activator solution (your existing paint is not affected).

I just spent less than an hour going over my bonnet and guards using their prescribed method (really easy) and I was blown away that the result is basically as promised. The kit I purchased cost me about $80 (need your colour code obviously) – and it was enough for me to go over the whole car and then some.

Here's the pudding (aka some photos)

1. This is a section of my bonnet. Some parts were actually worse than this, but generally the entire front 1/3 of the bonnet and front fenders were like this.

2. After a good clean (need to remove all wax etc) and a little spray & wipe with alcohol, you dab and smear the paint across every chip/scratch. The idea with the smear is to make it easier to remove the excess.

3. Here is the activator solution. You can see the paint smears in the background which come off within two applications of the solution and a microfibre buff.

4. Here is the finished product. The paint actually has to cure - so they don't recommend wax or polish for about a week. Bottom shot is the final result after a light polish and a wax.

Here's their Aussie website. The product took about a week to arrive.
http://www.drcolorchip.com.au
MY 11 WRX Sedan
WR Blue
#Flexfuel and bolt-ons
#Tuned by Warwick @ Got it Rex

Sandown 1:26.2
Winton & Philip Island: Will get to them soon!

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Re: Chip / Scratch and Road rash repairs.

Postby neptune11 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:52 pm

mrjarrodcthompson wrote:I have a 2011 WRX and it has done quite a few highway miles and track work. As a result the bonnet and front guards had quite a bit of road rash and chips for a 5 year old car.
I was about to pull the trigger and have a bonnet respray done but came across promising DIY solution so I thought, what's there to lose.

For those who have tried stonechip repair, it's a pretty painful process to do - for me it was always noticeable (and so road rash repair was out of the question). The primary issue being that there is basically always excess paint around the area that you somehow need to remove. This might be through fine sanding, cutting/polishing or some other method.

I stumbled across the "Dr Colorchip" system (lots of user reviews - all of them positive) which solves the issue by using an "activator" solution. The solution quickly removes all excess paint from around the chip/scratch and then you buff with a microfibre. The paint is colour matched (e.g. mine is 02c WRC Blue Pearl) and is a special formulation to work with the activator solution (your existing paint is not affected).

I just spent less than an hour going over my bonnet and guards using their prescribed method (really easy) and I was blown away that the result is basically as promised. The kit I purchased cost me about $80 (need your colour code obviously) – and it was enough for me to go over the whole car and then some.

Here's the pudding (aka some photos)

1. This is a section of my bonnet. Some parts were actually worse than this, but generally the entire front 1/3 of the bonnet and front fenders were like this.
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rbio1p35957Wa-jlYXv4BQ1UscilVwjNBLLzqdvE9gUn0UV4sbl6MVIgmCwLhYJimGjIu5Zm97FSAkT_UGsKdZ299bZv-
H1g0aP7r_fvXDv37JO6hofbz8JZYnNnzBA2V7Co33XfaEVgtRnS1AHz9rOrtvnQ-lPM2qwnxKvHnvSFOZI6V1G5OuSvBgBxwCyLZdpf6EKU4LCCO0hT54HYqA_5VQAG0FbrXJ2d5kAHyw-ge7QOgLfMzXsvRX4plLOILZn-FKXdFjUxBu_1IFlploHM4dL8g25b78a38r6cWRSgPeLjeU5NF7tic1KchCL_5pcWNdgIYgkvuUl3vHwmT0DrORdWDwqoS5Gvk4k6vqhr2-u0xyF5pBhT3ALwOzM04yFoxt0x_0Gcv1znIFJxTapPLzN4DEvtSfa2rsEd4Ph2xenkFRXnwYrMCYicRqnEoQHZwyYjpelj57LserngQoJ6nrEfCdbDEKISjecZw1pcObQQKipjyuMfi2PD4r1PkHesissQWm6A6eIk_W-7nU-GmuDR4ikcRh4xJ68w6n6IR1Uzpx1VA1P8dIJ6FUf-z3JBxJ1ysc34XGtjwBJ4H96Z7Jv4v-JY=w1742-h980-no[/img]

2. After a good clean (need to remove all wax etc) and a little spray & wipe with alcohol, you dab and smear the paint across every chip/scratch. The idea with the smear is to make it easier to remove the excess.

3. Here is the activator solution. You can see the paint smears in the background which come off within two applications of the solution and a microfibre buff.

4. Here is the finished product. The paint actually has to cure - so they don't recommend wax or polish for about a week. Bottom shot is the final result after a light polish and a wax.

Here's their Aussie website. The product took about a week to arrive.
http://www.drcolorchip.com.au

Awesome job there mate... :bowdown:
I'll bring you mine to do next !! As mine is also World Rally Blue..
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:04 pm

I've ordered a Dr Colorchip kit too, so I'll wait to see what it's like on all the road rash on the bonnet and front bar. I hope it works well on some of the larger scratches, but according to reviews it's not so successful on those.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:18 pm

As a repairer, i see paint chips everyday. Some are deep from multiple repaints to others that are new.
It can be difficult to both make it cover the chip and match color as with metallics/pearls always look darker because flake lays different when brushing as to spraying.
However, looking at the results on the bonnet, looks like a success.
Id be happy to buy and try. I will say though doing scratches would prob wont work. Happy to be proven wrong. Good to see yr having a go yourself and trialing such a product.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kaoself
Red GD WRX driver
Red GD WRX driver

Postby Kaoself » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:17 pm

If your WRX happens to be WR blue, I'm happy to lend you my kit to try out once it arrives @retroguy.
Blue MY02 STi
Former Red MY03 WRX

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks kaoself.... but its silver 99 gc8. Looking forward to hear about yr go at it... mich appreciated though.

vinshonz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby vinshonz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:55 pm

intresting... might help me sell my wrx better with a better looking bonnet
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250
VF52, AVO TBE into STi muffler, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact, Kobe Silicone Intake, Kobe 340LPH pump

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 -SOLD

dividebynaught
Learner Driver

Postby dividebynaught » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:50 pm

+1 for doctor colorchip. My Garnet Red 07 WRX had a lot of roadrash, you can still see the chips if you look for them, but so much better.

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby neptune11 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Kaoself wrote:If your WRX happens to be WR blue, I'm happy to lend you my kit to try out once it arrives @retroguy.

I've got a WR blue, with a few chips needing repair..!!
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

Atreyu
Probationary Driver

Postby Atreyu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:58 am

I'm keen to see more results with this product on WR Blue.
I wouldn't mind giving it a shot over the xmas / new year break.
MY03 WRX STi
MY10 FORESTER XT

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:31 am

I'm going to get some for my WR blue. I washed it Saturday and never really noticed before but holy crap it's got to be the mother of all chipped bonnets.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:19 pm

That looks like an excellent result.. especially after the polish...
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:10 pm

Got my kit today and did some. Really makes a difference. There is quite a bit of rubbing on the step after the paint application, but it comes good. I tried some deep scratches a few times, but I think the trick to them is to do it once, let it cure for 3 days then try again as it didn't make much difference with multiple full processes one after the other. Good thing is they don't stand out like balls anymore until you look for them. Chips just vanish though. :)

retroguy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby retroguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Mate sounds like its a good thing yeah!!
Pretty much work with auto paint every day, spraying and brush touching, so might see if boss can buy a few to try.
Good to see a product out there thats
A. Main stream.
B. Works.
C. Doesnt cost the earth.

Return to “DIY Guides”