Easier fluid changes with the EZ Oil drain valve.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Just a little thing to make my life easier, just installed them yesterday to make future changes and levelling simpler.

http://www.ezoil.com.au/

My transmission drain pan before and after:

I put one on my oil pan too.

Pros:

- Tool less fluid changes. I just reach under the car and activate the lever.
- No need for new gaskets on the plugs.
- Easier to sort out over fills, especially on the auto as it needs to be levelled while the fluid is hot and the car running.

Cons:

Initial cost.

The con is easy to make up for ease of changes on these cars that require a more frequent fluid change if you're not running stock.

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Re: Easier fluid changes with the EZ Oil drain valve.

Postby neptune11 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:14 pm

This is a very awesome idea, as I may have used all the thread up in my Sump, due to numerous oil changes!!
If I require to be getting a new sump, I'll certainly be looking at one of these babies..
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

stockhorse
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stockhorse » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 pm

neptune11 wrote:This is a very awesome idea, as I may have used all the thread up in my Sump, due to numerous oil changes!!
If I require to be getting a new sump, I'll certainly be looking at one of these babies..

Simply re tap the thread to a slightly different pitch or use a helicoil to repair the thread instead of thinking of replacing the sump

surge
Probationary Driver

Postby surge » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Never heard of this brand before, but there have been lots of people using the fumoto one that seems the same.

http://fumoto.com.au/info.htm

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm

surge wrote:Never heard of this brand before, but there have been lots of people using the fumoto one that seems the same.

http://fumoto.com.au/info.htm

Same company. I originally went to buy the fumoto and he gave me the option to either wait for more inventory, or to buy the EZ oil valves. Difference being the EZ oil uses a rubber O-ring to seal with and is slightly longer due to having an attachment thread on the outlet, and a plastic cap on the handle. Otherwise is still a ball-valve.

PAT555
MY99 WRX Driver

Postby PAT555 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 pm

The is one MAJOR CON you missed with this. Don't get me wrong this is probably totally fine for your car however it ain't a sump plug which is a %100 mechanical failsafe. A valve can always fail or get gummed or jammed open by a stick hitting it whereas a sump plug while dumb can't fall out or fail all it can do is have a weep from a bad washer.

From your pics it looks like the valve is out of harms way. Also i assume its coupled with a factory sump plastic under tray which will add a layer of protection to the valve.
So getting to my point. I have driven enough cars over enough years to know that sh@t does happen like hitting road debris and or animals etc.. hence something could flick up smack the valve open or snap it off and then your f@cked. Especially if you don't catch the oil light and or the oil drains out slowly over night and you don't see it, get in the car (in the dark) start the car and see ya later engine.
The older I get the slower I drive.

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 pm

You need to lift the little lever and turn it. The chances of anything hitting it to do that is like winning the lotto 10 times in a row.

The valve is a ball valve. Nah, I don't have the under tray on.

Yea, you're right, it has the same chance of getting knocked off just like a plug does. :) Yes, back in the day we had a rock smash off the sump plug on our tarago, had to spend a couple of days in Birdsville. Boring and hot as hell back in 1985.

Return to “DIY Guides”