Fitting springs to an MY00

Mushy Mushy
Impreza WRX Driver

Fitting springs to an MY00

Postby Mushy Mushy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:50 pm

I plan to use Bens DIY as a guide when fitting new springs to my MY00 this w/e. Bens guide can be found at:
http://www2.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9401

Are there any differences between the bugeye and the classic shape wrx's that i should be aware of?????

Will i have to cut the brake line clip?????
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smiddy
Probationary Driver

Postby smiddy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:47 pm

You see will the brake line is held alongside the strut by a clip.

You will need to remove the clip with a pair of pliers first.

I then used a small hack saw to saw through where the brake line is held to the strut.

I then splayed the bracket i cut with pliers, pulled the brake line out and went from there.

Once you have put the strut together with the new spring, bend the bracket back together and place the clip back on. You wont even notice the metal has been cut once the clip is back on.

I note MYO1s on allow you to unbolt the bracket and remove the brake line. i imagine subaru went this way as a response to people wanting to fir lower springs more easily.

The alternative is to bleed the brakes and undo the brake line. Needless to say this will lenghten the process somewhat.

Sorry i dont have pictures but once you locate the brake line and the bracket which holds it to the strut, you will know what i mean.

A digital camera will help if your uncertain - take a picture of each step before you do anything and refer back to it if you get a little confused.
Last edited by smiddy on Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"johnny and zoltan say im speshal..."

Mushy Mushy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Mushy Mushy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:50 pm

Smiddy, thanks heaps man.
Greatly appreciated. I'll let you know how it all goes....

Thanks again :)

nix
Impreza RS Driver

Postby nix » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:05 pm

You will need to bakc off the retaining brackets on the front swaybar to give you a little play on the whole lot. Otherwise you will have trouble finding room to remove the strut.
Im not too sure about the rear, it should be fairly similar to the front only easier.
You will definately need some serious tools to get the strut bottom undone, their done up tight and to add to that over time they tend to get stuck even more. - Dont be shy on the WD-40 and let it soak right in.

You shouldn't have too much trouble if your familiar with tools.

Be prepared for the arms to drop when you remove the strut, dont want your discs hitting the ground.
No links in sigs.

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:27 pm

Yup, smiddy pretty much said it all. don't worry about cutting the bracket, there are a heap of posts regarding doing this and you should be fine.

I also didn't need to remove anything but the strut bolts top and bottom (but nix is right, they are torqued pretty tight, you'll need a breaker bar of some sort)..

Hey Shane, how are the springs looking mate?? Did I leave my yellow flatbladed screwdriver with you?

nix
Impreza RS Driver

Postby nix » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:33 pm

I'll have a look for your screwdriver tonight - I'll be at the meeting tomorrow if your going.

Springs have dropped slightly. Im surprised that I can still clear speedbumps with no probs.

I do have an annoying noise from the front shocks though when cornering hard, I think it is because the springs dont quite mate up correctly with the top (try and picture the rubber stopper and how the spring sits).
I am thinking of taking it all out again to have a looksee.
No links in sigs.

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:38 pm

Cool I'll be there tomorrow... My front shocks make a slight binding noise when I pull into my driveway (which is apparently not that common) so let me know what you discover..

nix
Impreza RS Driver

Postby nix » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:45 pm

Turns out there is no meeting tomorrow (Just spoke with Marcus). Only on the 21st. That ruins a couple of plans I had...
No links in sigs.

smiddy
Probationary Driver

Postby smiddy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:14 pm

Fitted the rear springs to my car (MY00) on sunday which pretty much took me most of the day.

For the rears, rather than cut the bracket that holds the brake line to the strut, i undid the calipers as you would when you replace the pads, bleed the brakes and then undid the brake line.

Of course this necessitated me buying some brake fluid but the end result was lowered springs on the rear and changing my brake fluid but its a good idea to change brake fluid after winter anyways...

sorry i didnt take any pictures but im one of the few people about the place without a digital camera.

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:57 pm

Smiddy et al, give me a buzz next time you need a spare set of hands.

Sounds good though, I bet it looks the goods now??

Mushy Mushy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Mushy Mushy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:56 am

Well I fitted my springs on the weekend. No probs at all. The whole process went without any issues whatsoever.

I'll let the springs settle for a couple weeks, then i'll post some pics up.

Thanks to everybody who offered tips. :)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:10 am

OK so can I PLEEEEEEZE have some clarification here guys.

I'm gonna be changing springs on an MY00 this weekend and need to know if we're gonna have to disconnect the brake lines.

Cheers guys!

Mushy Mushy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Mushy Mushy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:16 am

Jammer wrote:OK so can I PLEEEEEEZE have some clarification here guys.

I'm gonna be changing springs on an MY00 this weekend and need to know if we're gonna have to disconnect the brake lines.

Cheers guys!

No you do not have to disconnect the brake lines. I would have preferred to have done so, but this would have required the bleeding of the brake lines which i couldnt be f&cked doing. The brakes lines are held on by small brackets which i cut with small bolt cutters. Then when the springs were all fitted, I bent the bracket back into place. Now you cant even tell.

Zol, is it Candice's you're doing this w/e?????

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:02 am

Cheers guys, it's confirmed, if you cut the bracket holding the brake line, there's no need to bleed the brakes. Good news coz I still get to enjoy some of my Saturday. :)

Matt: Yeh mate, changing Candice's springs to a set of S-Tech's. Now if I can only convince her to ditch those dingo ugly Altezza's. :D

WRXchick
WRX STi Driver

Postby WRXchick » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:03 am

Jammer wrote:Matt: Yeh mate, changing Candice's springs to a set of S-Tech's. Now if I can only convince her to ditch those dingo ugly Altezza's. :D

It's aint going to happen Jammer. I like a little bit of rice :D

Mushy Mushy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Mushy Mushy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:07 am

Jammer wrote:Matt: Yeh mate, changing Candice's springs to a set of S-Tech's. Now if I can only convince her to ditch those dingo ugly Altezza's. :D

Dude you have a better chance of getting laid. lmfao

Hey if you want me to help ya fit 'em, i'm more than happy to do so....

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:10 am

ROFLMFAO, good call! :D

Should be right dude, I got my mechanic mate giving me a hand as well, he did the springs on my MY00 so we should be OK.

Thanx for the offer tho.

smiddy
Probationary Driver

Postby smiddy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:58 am

I wouldnt be too concerned about bleeding the brakes as it probably only added about 30 minutes to the task overall.

The low rear springs didnt seem to make the car sit much lower (though its only been 48 hours and they would not have settled) but they did seem to tighten up the rear more

Very happy with the whiteline springs because the ride comfort hasnt been adversely affected. its definately firmer but certainly not uncomfortable and the rear sway has made the car much more "point and shoot" like.

will be getting an Anti lift kit fitted when i get my alignment done. that should tidy it up suspension wise.

P.s I was surprised by how much the brake fluid had deteriorated. I had only bleed them about 12 months prior so putting in better quality fluid after winter was well worth it.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:05 pm

Yeh, I had the same Whiteline lows on my old MY00 wagon. They are good springs and didn't make the ride too rough.

If you wanna see what they will look like after they have settled, here's a pic of my old girl:

Not too low but still looks good on the road.

99WRX
Probationary Driver

Postby 99WRX » Mon May 23, 2005 11:21 am

The link isnt working

Return to “DIY Guides”