Fitting springs to an MY00

deafwish
Silver MY06 STi Driver
Silver MY06 STi Driver

Postby deafwish » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:20 pm

Resurecting an old thread, but does anyone have a link to do this?
I wouldn't mind learning to do this, to save some $$. :)

damo7f
Impreza RS Driver

Re: Fitting springs to an MY00

Postby damo7f » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Couple of updates/extras/how-not-tos based on my recent experience (without the benefit of the broken link pg 1).

- Yes, it is possible to change the springs without cutting the brake line bracket or dsiconnecting the brake line. However, I strongly recommend that you don't take this approach unless you have four hands! I had nothing to cut the bracket with (Yes, I am a retard) and only 2 hands - not fun at all.

- If you need room to get the strut out, you can remove the calipers (without disconnecting the brake lines). I did this for the first front strut, but not the second. Also for both rear struts. It can be done with two hands, but I recommend you get at least 4 as it is very very difficult to juggle a caliper and strut while compressing the spring. Again, not fun, and did I mention difficult?

- Before removing the strut top to remove the spring, make sure you note the orientation of the strut top. The strut WILL go back together with the wrong orientation, but it will NOT go back onto the car that way. The strut top rubber is no guide as the spring ends differ between standard and aftermarket springs. Getting the sprin on, strut top on, strut into the wheel well and the nhaving to undo and redo it all to reorientate the strut top is very frustrating, time consuming and painful.

- You will need an allen key that fits the strut top (to reattach the strut top). If you don't have one handy (and I didn't, again, retard) it is possible, but not recommended, to lightly hammer a flat head screwdriver into the allen key bolt and treat it as a screw.

- You will need to be able to turn a socket while the allen key is through the middle of it (as above). This can be done by turning a socket with monkey-grips while the allen key is through the guts of the socket. This is a very painful way to do it, but it does work. If doing it again, I would probably sacrifice a socket and weld a bar to the side to eliminate the monkey grips.

Front and rear spring replacement while missing a few key tools took me 6hrs start to finish.... in an apartment basement with access to one side of the car at a time.... using the factory jack (and stand)..... with the sun setting halfway..... and inblown rain during the last strut. Learn from my mistakes and get the right tools from the start!
I had planned to take a few photos, but well, reread the above paragraph!

Despite the above, very happy with the results! Completed 10.30pm fri, scrutineering 8am sat at winton & racing by 10am.

Lupin
S204 Driver

Postby Lupin » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:38 am

I did my car with about 3 spanners Daz. All you need is to know all the tricks of the trade.

The number one secret to changing springs is to crack the top strut bolt why the car is still on the ground.

You will be surprised how easy it is to get loose with a bit of weight on the car, you can also do the same when doing it up. This means you don't have to use a Allen key to hold it still why you try to tighten the strut bolt.

My bug eye record is 2 hrs. With no air tools.

However as the STI has different struts then things could be a little harder.

Daz ask Dave / Vaccine how he did his. Knowing the tight ass he is I'd be sure he did it Mc Gyver style with a bit of sting and a icy pole stick
Mr June 2014 Mr May 2015

damo7f
Impreza RS Driver

Postby damo7f » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:23 am

I knew the number one secret! Cracking the nut was easy, but doing it up was a pain - even with the car on the ground the whole assembly would rotate and I simply couldn't get it tight without the allen keys. Old worns struts perhaps?
It would be simple with the brake line off, but with it on, the strut base has to remain in the wheel well - I just ran out of hands.

PAT555
MY99 WRX Driver

Postby PAT555 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:36 am

$35 for a rattle gun from supercheap works very nicely.
Get the right tools and you can do anyjob.
The older I get the slower I drive.

bigtim11
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby bigtim11 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 pm

What wheel alignment settings are actually altered when doing this to a MY00? Is it just the front camber settings?

Out of 10, how important is the wheel alignment after this install? 10 being don't drive the car at all, 0 being its fine but will need attention within a few weeks)
2005 WRX Hatchback - Black

bigtim11
Impreza WRX Driver

Fitting springs to an MY00

Postby bigtim11 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 pm

Anybody? ^^^^^^
2005 WRX Hatchback - Black

Return to “DIY Guides”