Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner

Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner

Postby Age » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:33 pm

Here it is
And i removed this little rubber "gromet" and did as the instructions said on the back of the can. It's very easy to do to.
The can costs under $20 and you get it from Subaru 8) You'll definatley feel the difference once you have done this to your car!! Subaru reccomends that this be done every 12,500km/6 month service. So save your self some money and do it yourself. :D
Last edited by Age on Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panther
Learner Driver

Postby Panther » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:20 pm

BTW (dont mean to hijak): you can also connect your boost guage to that same location.....Oh and I'm dropping in to Subaru spare parts to get that cleaner today !!!

HighLife
WRX STi Driver

Postby HighLife » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:00 pm

...I like the smoke screen the first time you drive up the road after using the upper engine cleaner - everyone in my street must have thought I'd blown an engine or something!

Panther
Learner Driver

Postby Panther » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:06 pm

I just finished doing mine..[:D]...it's dark so I couldn't see the smoke[V]\r\n

Postby Age » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:33 pm

Did you notice a difference when you went for a drive?
Last edited by Age on Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blotto
S204 Driver

Postby blotto » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:29 am

I thought this was just a money making add on...\r\nI tried it and now recommend it strongly!! Also recommend you use it with the fuel additive. These motors do suffer from Carbon build. That is why when people use it, they definately feel the difference.\r\n\r\nGood time to Reset ECU aswell

HyRax
Learner Driver

Postby HyRax » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:38 pm

To avoid potentially getting a defect from a cop driving past you and thinking your car is blowing copious amounts of illegal smoke like crazy, you should just start the car and pull the throttle cable in the engine bay to rev it up until all the smoke has passed, THEN go driving.

ReFL3kT
Learner Driver

Postby ReFL3kT » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:47 pm

I thought you spray this into the throttle body??\r\n\r\n**Secondly, isnt it important to only do half a can at once?..then run the car...then do another half..something to that effect?\r\n\r\n...Apparently you can sieze something if you spray the whole can at once.\r\n\r\nCorrect me if I'm wrong as I am yet to do this myself, just from what I've heard and what Subaru has instructed.\r\n\r\nCheerz,

R1
Learner Driver

Postby R1 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:21 pm

Nah, You just spray it exactly where the photo above shows.Just warm the car up,then stop it.Spray in half the can and wait about ten minutes. Then restart the car, and let it idle high enough so it doesnt stall on you. While the motor is running spray the remainder in. You might have to just keep the throttle open while you are doing this.Something like that anyway .Its all written on the back of the can anyway.\r\n\r\nThe stuff is made by Bars Leaks so you might be able to get the Bars Leak brand a lot cheaper than Subaru's "Special price".\r\n\r\nJust a note of caution. Dont know if it was coincidence but a day later I noticed that the paint work on the bumper near the exhaust had spot marks on it, like the paint had spot stains from when the exhaust spitted out a bit of liquid. Cant get them out and I suspect it may have been from the Upper engine cleaner.

Postby Age » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:22 pm

I thought you spray this into the throttle body??rnrn**Secondly, isnt it important to only do half a can at once?..then run the car...then do another half..something to that effect? Apparently you can sieze something if you spray the whole can at once. Correct me if I'm wrong as I am yet to do this myself, just from what I've heard and what Subaru has instructed. Cheerz,
Just follow the instructions on the can...you'll be right :D
Just a note of caution. Dont know if it was coincidence but a day later I noticed that the paint work on the bumper near the exhaust had spot marks on it, like the paint had spot stains from when the exhaust spitted out a bit of liquid. Cant get them out and I suspect it may have been from the Upper engine cleaner.
Yeah i had something like that aswell, not sure if was the spray or just that my car is running rich. Anyway i got it off the paint work with Maguiars QuikClay..
Ended up doing my entire car with this stuff...lots of elbow grease involved, but the result is VERY WELL WORTH IT. :D :D 8)
Last edited by Age on Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davey
Learner Driver

Postby davey » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:16 am

If you're getting the car serviced by Subaru they do it as part of the service.

STNDMY05
Impreza RS Driver

Postby STNDMY05 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:13 pm

Is there another brand of this stuff that is safe to use? It is a real pain for me to get down to a subaru dealership. Easier to go to Repco, Autobarn etc etc

wt9bind
Learner Driver

Postby wt9bind » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:03 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by STNDMY99</i>\r\n<br />Is there another brand of this stuff that is safe to use? It is a real pain for me to get down to a subaru dealership. Easier to go to Repco, Autobarn etc etc\r\n<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nNever fear, I got my can (EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE IN THE PHOTO ABOVE) from Autopro for $13. I believe that is $7 cheaper than subaru service, I asked the guy if he stocks it all the time, he said Yes for 2 reasons, 1 he owns a subaru (SMART MAN), 2 genuine Subaru parts is his BIGGEST seller. Now that tells you something!

Postby Age » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:09 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wt9bind</i>\r\n<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by STNDMY99</i>\r\n<br />Is there another brand of this stuff that is safe to use? It is a real pain for me to get down to a subaru dealership. Easier to go to Repco, Autobarn etc etc\r\n<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nNever fear, I got my can (EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE IN THE PHOTO ABOVE) from Autopro for $13. I believe that is $7 cheaper than subaru service, I asked the guy if he stocks it all the time, he said Yes for 2 reasons, 1 he owns a subaru (SMART MAN), 2 genuine Subaru parts is his BIGGEST seller. Now that tells you something!\r\n<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nIf ya got a photo of it i'll host it?!\r\n

steelwhorse
Learner Driver

Postby steelwhorse » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2 genuine Subaru parts is his BIGGEST seller. Now that tells you something!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nYeah, it tells you that genuine Subaru parts must fail alot [V][:(]\r\n\r\n

ReFL3kT
Learner Driver

Postby ReFL3kT » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:31 pm

Heya guyZ,\r\n\r\nThought I would give the Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner and shot and can recommend to all. Was impressed with the improved throttle response and car definetely going to redline with less effort.\r\n\r\nPicked up the bottle from Subaru for $15.\r\n\r\n...so for that price, you cant go wrong! =D

wt9bind
Learner Driver

Postby wt9bind » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:07 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Awrx</i>\r\n<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wt9bind</i>\r\n<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by STNDMY99</i>\r\n<br />Is there another brand of this stuff that is safe to use? It is a real pain for me to get down to a subaru dealership. Easier to go to Repco, Autobarn etc etc\r\n<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nNever fear, I got my can (EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE IN THE PHOTO ABOVE) from Autopro for $13. I believe that is $7 cheaper than subaru service, I asked the guy if he stocks it all the time, he said Yes for 2 reasons, 1 he owns a subaru (SMART MAN), 2 genuine Subaru parts is his BIGGEST seller. Now that tells you something!\r\n<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nIf ya got a photo of it i'll host it?!\r\n\r\n<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nIt is the exact one in the photo which awrx posted.

wt9bind
Learner Driver

Postby wt9bind » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:21 pm

Guys can you help me out in where I need to squirt this stuff please?\r\n\r\nMY01 WRX\r\n\r\nImage\r\n\r\nCheers

Postby Age » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:40 pm

can you send me a another photo.... a bit more to the top left hand side. I'm going to Subaru on Tuesday, and i'll find out. thanx
Last edited by Age on Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robsta
Learner Driver

Postby Robsta » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:34 pm

Do you need to dump the oil from the car after using the upper engine clean?

Return to “DIY Guides”