Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner

BLK_Boxer
Learner Driver

Postby BLK_Boxer » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:03 pm

One thing that is important to note when using this product is that when you are spraying in the first half of the can, you crank the engine (but don't let it start) best to disconnect the plug from the coil pack to prevent it from firing. The reason for this is that the product is much like oven cleaner and needs to have the cranking to suck it in through the intake runners and stick around the back of the valves. The foaming effect of the product can then set to work on the carbon on the valve stem and face. The real problem that this product is counteracting is the carbon build-up around the valves which leads to rough idling, poor fuel economy, less power etc. In extreme cases like 200+km cars that have never been to a dealer, the valves can stick open and prevent the car from starting. I'd also strongly recommend repeating this procedure with the second half of the can (not just spraying it through while it is running). I recently was involved in some boroscope testing with this product and we found that the product did very little if applied when the vehicle was running, as the majority of the product was burnt up too quickly to have a chance to act. hope this is helpful....

i am going to do it this way next time! i have done it once b4 and didn't really notice any results, i never saw any smoke out the exhaust either, i just assumed my engine was already very clean...

great info! thanks andrew555 :D

flyaway
Learner Driver

Postby flyaway » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:59 pm

andrew555 wrote:One thing that is important to note when using this product is that when you are spraying in the first half of the can, you crank the engine (but don't let it start) best to disconnect the plug from the coil pack to prevent it from firing. The reason for this is that the product is much like oven cleaner and needs to have the cranking to suck it in through the intake runners and stick around the back of the valves. The foaming effect of the product can then set to work on the carbon on the valve stem and face. The real problem that this product is counteracting is the carbon build-up around the valves which leads to rough idling, poor fuel economy, less power etc. In extreme cases like 200+km cars that have never been to a dealer, the valves can stick open and prevent the car from starting. I'd also strongly recommend repeating this procedure with the second half of the can (not just spraying it through while it is running). I recently was involved in some boroscope testing with this product and we found that the product did very little if applied when the vehicle was running, as the majority of the product was burnt up too quickly to have a chance to act. hope this is helpful....

So on the second half of the can do u put the back the plug on the coil pack then start the engine? or still spraying without the engine on?

andrew555
Blue Bugeye WRX Driver
Blue Bugeye WRX Driver

Postby andrew555 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:09 am

Last edited by andrew555 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

entice
Learner Driver

Postby entice » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:43 pm

or alternatively just try cranking the car without the code punched in? (AKA Brant - no fuel = no combustion?)
More opportunities are lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision....But I miss airconditioning!

flyaway
Learner Driver

Postby flyaway » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:54 pm

So on the second half of the can, u start the engine without the coil pack install then spray it?
is that what u mean?

wt9bind
Learner Driver

Postby wt9bind » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:25 pm

entice wrote:or alternatively just try cranking the car without the code punched in? (AKA Brant - no fuel = no combustion?)

umm dude the car does not even TURN over without the code, or is this a new feature to the brant?

entice
Learner Driver

Postby entice » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:44 pm

wt9bind wrote:
entice wrote:or alternatively just try cranking the car without the code punched in? (AKA Brant - no fuel = no combustion?)

umm dude the car does not even TURN over without the code, or is this a new feature to the brant?

umm, no not a new feature AFAIK, but the starter does turn when the code aint in, I imagine the Brant just disables the fuel pump.
More opportunities are lost from indecision, rather than wrong decision....But I miss airconditioning!

wt9bind
Learner Driver

Postby wt9bind » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:05 pm

entice wrote:
wt9bind wrote:

umm, no not a new feature AFAIK, but the starter does turn when the code aint in, I imagine the Brant just disables the fuel pump.

I am unsure what AFAIK stands for but I can tell you on my 01 the starter does not turn over at all if the code has not been put in. when I turn the ingition without the code, all the electricity cuts in the vehicle.

entice
Learner Driver

Postby entice » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:44 am

LOL...AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

Brant on mine (MY03 STI) still allows starter to crank.

wt9bind
Learner Driver

Postby wt9bind » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:58 am

Well there you go! Wonder why they changed it?
Well I guess thats lucky for you, will be able to do that, the rest of us will have to pull the lead from the coil pack.

00WReX
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby 00WReX » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:06 pm

andrew555 wrote:Shane,
We found the product to be extremely effective. We removed the injector and looked in at the back of the valve and also looked at the crown of the piston via the spark plug hole. We found that when the product was sprayed in while the vehicle was idling that it made no difference. However if put in properly it is truely amazing how much it cleans both the valve and the piston. We were testing a high km liberty that was running rough, wouldn't rev or idle smoothly. After applying the product the top of the piston was much cleaner and the valve stem was shining once again. The vehicle was so much better to drive, idling properly, reving out to redline and the owner reported a marked improvement in economy too. I strongly recomend repeating the procedure for the second part of the can as per the first half. I would say that Bars would have sold the product to Subaru on the premise that it wouldn't be too labour intensive and as such recommended just spraying through the second half of the can while it idled.

Thanks for the great info. :)
Cheers,
Shane

Mushy Mushy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Mushy Mushy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:37 pm

andrew555 wrote:best to disconnect the plug from the coil pack to prevent it from firing

Andrew your info has been extremely valuable. Thanks heaps.

Just a quick question. When i'm disconnecting the plug from the coil pack, what exactly should I be disconnecting???? Can u pls circle the appropriate plug on the following engine bay picture..... Thanks :D

Is it the red one in the centre, directly in front of the manifold?????

BTW, this engine bay pic has been used from a previous post of "Bird". If you have any problem with me using this pic, just PM me and it will be removed immediately :)
"He who talks loud say nothing" - Nobody

Postby Age » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:27 pm

Here ya go Matty :wink:

I know on mine (MY00) i have to unplug the 4 spark plug leads, and then enter the pin code and crank the engine.

Just remember which plug went where, when ya plug the leads back in. :mrgreen:

Mushy Mushy
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Mushy Mushy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:47 pm

Age, thanks heaps :D
"He who talks loud say nothing" - Nobody

wt9bind
Learner Driver

Postby wt9bind » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:12 am

Where do you disconnect it on the 01? I cant see anything like that in the photo posted.

andrew555
Blue Bugeye WRX Driver
Blue Bugeye WRX Driver

Postby andrew555 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:09 pm

On the bugeye, the plug and coil pack are located just above where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body (just in front of the intercooler, on the left hand side) Sorry I don't have a pic to circle.

EREXON
Impreza WRX Driver

AWESOME

Postby EREXON » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 pm

Tried this the other day. Just purchased a can from autobarn.... sheet i thought u blokes were talking sh*t but it does make a difference....
Whoever hasn't tried it i recommend that u get off ur ass and did it....
THANX BOIZ :p~~~~
MY07 WRX Tuned by STi #136
TBE - STi TMIC splitter - VF43 - 3 Port - Walbro 255L
Chasers tune @ 190.1Kwatw - RIP

MY12 WRX Premium
LEDs, FRONT LIP
INVIDIA TBE, AEM CAI, PW TMIC, TP tuned
BC BR's

Pete
Club Spec Evo 5 Driver
Club Spec Evo 5 Driver

Postby Pete » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:42 pm

STi have attacked my car with this stuff at the last couple of services, and it certainly does make a difference.

I get some smoke coming out from under the bonnet, as well as the smoke from the exhaust. Normal, or should I be panicking? :)

Postby Age » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:20 pm

No...it's just the sheet burning off...

Under the bonnet, means you've split a little...and there's alot that comes out the back :roll:

INA*RSH
Probationary Driver

Postby INA*RSH » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:04 pm

Just a question.. Is there anywhere else besides a subaru dealer where i can get this "Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner"?

Return to “DIY Guides”