DIY - Apexi AVCR Installation

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

DIY - Apexi AVCR Installation (MY01+)

Postby Clutchcargo » Fri May 21, 2004 10:40 pm

On a scale of one to ten I'd rate this as a 6 on the difficulty scale, or a 10 if your wiring diagram is inaccurate (The apexi manual was written in 1999, and some of the online resources showed different coloured wiring!) :)

I must credit jammer, rjhug1 and prodrive (plus Nick, what is your nickname?) who gave me some great advice which is incorporated here.

Remember this is an Australian spec guide and should be enough to make your installation easy.

You'll need:
An Australian-Spec WRX/STi MY01 or later
Apexi AVC-R
10mm socket
flatblade screwdriver
needlenose pliers
wiresnips (or splicing tool even better)
sharp knife/blade
3 Hours

1. Under the hood:
Start off by REMOVING YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL!!rnThen move to the left of the engine bay (if facing the front of the car) and remove the cover to the stock solenoid.

The stock boost solenoid runs one hose to the front of the intake, and a second hose which is Teed off to the Actuator and Turbo.

2. Fitting the Apexi Solenoid, pressure sensor and hose, and filter.
Remove the two hoses to the stock solenoid, and remove the Solenoid altogether. Optionally, I decided to mount it to the left but you can remove it. Unscrew the 2 bolts that hold the solenoid cover bracket, and remove the 3 bolts that hold the larger bracket to the strut tower and side wall. We're going to drill this bracket.

This shot shows the bracket removed on its side with the new solenoid mounted.

I drilled four 5mm holes for the solenoid, but ended up using two zip ties (not shown) to hold the solenoid to the bracket.
On the back of the bracket (right side, not shown) I drilled two holes and mounted the Pressure sensor - again with zip ties.
Note: Given I was already running a mechanical boost gauge I had a hose running from the BOV around the back of the engine bay and into the cabin. This meant I was able to run the pressure sensor to this existing hose and Tee it off.
If you don't have a boost gauge already installed, you might decide its easier to mount the pressure sensor at the right of the engine bay somewhere as there isn't much 4 pi hose provided!
Run one end of the 4 Pi hose to the pressure sensor, and then cut the hose somewhere near the pressure sensor and fit the UFO-looking filter, after the filter the hose needs to be tapped into the intake manifold somewhere (like the hose running off the BOV).

3. Removing the stock hoses.
Remove and discard the hose going from the solenoid to the front of the intake, and plug the intake hose.

Now remove the hose that goes from the solenoid to the T piece (Actuator/Turbo). We're going to discard everything AFTER the T (including the T) leaving the two stubbie (4 Pi) hoses.

4. Running the new hoses.
Cut the provided 8-Pi hose in half, and fit each one with a reducer (two provided). Run each reduced end to the smaller stubbie hoses on the actuator and turbo.
Make sure you use two clamps (provided) and check that everything is nice and tight (note I'm missing one clamp in the photo but I put it on later). You should end up with something like this.

Now just cut each hose to length and run them to the solenoid. The actuator-origin hose goes to the COM port on the Solenoid, and the Turbo-origin hose goes to the NO port on the Solenoid. Use the provided clamps!rnAttach the rest of the bolts/brackets. Here is the engine bay finished.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you plug the lead back into your stock solenoid and tape up the in/out holes (you'll throw a CEL if you don't do this).
Last edited by Clutchcargo on Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

DIY - Apexi AVCR Installation

Postby Clutchcargo » Sun May 23, 2004 1:57 pm

5. Running the Harness.
Take the harness provided and feed it into the cabin via the grommet situated about 20cm abov..[post lost please can a mod send me the original.. here are the rest of the images]

Review wiring here: http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/ modifications/misc/wiring/wiring.html

----
HAD TO REUSE THIS POST :)
Thanks Fleurmo, its kind of redundant now given the AVC-R does all the monitoring, but I have a tutorial for that too :) http://forum.wrx.com.au/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6491
Last edited by Clutchcargo on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Postby Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 3:03 pm

Fantastic work there Clutchy! You're a good man, despite what everyone else here says about u behind ur back, I reckon ur an alright bloke. [:)]

Postby Guest » Sun May 23, 2004 3:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I must credit rjhug1 and prodrive (plus Nick, what is your nickname?) who gave me some great advice which is incorporated here.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">\r\n\r\nHEY! What about credit to Jammer for recommending that u contact Rich??? Where's the love? [:D]

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Sun May 23, 2004 5:07 pm

Fair enough Jammer ;) Everyone, Jammer suggested I contact the Meth man (what does that mean?)\r\n\r\nI should also credit my poor fingers, I never realised how much punishment they'd take during this mod (Spliced ECU wires are a beach when they pierce your finger for the 10th time!, and those little clamps scratch the crap out of your knuckles.)\r\n\r\nI'll stop bitching now, I'm sure I'll have some more war wounds after i've put the uppipe @ turb-back exhaust in...\r\n\r\nAnd the AVCR keeps getting better.. ;)

Postby Guest » Mon May 24, 2004 9:06 am

LOL it's Meth boy mate, it's coz he's such a brilliant chemist and makes his own METHamphetamines, this is how he has the time and "ENERGY" to be studying to be a doctor, running a performance workshop and Being Mitsubishi's GTP technical director.

Mr Rex

Postby Mr Rex » Mon May 24, 2004 11:46 am

Well done Ben,\r\n\r\nAwesome Job.

Ghosts
Learner Driver

Postby Ghosts » Wed May 26, 2004 3:08 pm

Well Done Clutch, thanks for the post and your efforts in presenting the info for newbies like me.\r\nCheers mate.

Fingolfin of Dorthonion
Impreza RS Driver

Postby Fingolfin of Dorthonion » Wed May 26, 2004 4:03 pm

Tip top tutorial clutch!!\r\nbut time for a newbie question...what does a AVC-R do??\r\ncan u get one of these instead for getting a ECU mod like unichip and ecutek???

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Wed May 26, 2004 6:05 pm

Thanks Fin, the AVCR is an electronic boost controller (actuator valve controller), and is quite often used in conjunction with an ECU.. Some ecus also perform ebc functions but the AVCR offers in-cabin tweaking and a number of extra options. It also acts as an electronic boost gauge/throttle gauge/digital speedo/and digital rpm (including record and peak hold).\r\n\r\nI don't think I can get much more technical than that, but at the risk of sounding stoopid in a stock setup your actuator will open and bleed boost from your system (according to ECU presets), whereas the avcr will monitor boost and trick the wastegate into thinking there is less boost than what there is, therefore building boost earlier and holding it to redline.\r\n\r\nNext questions: ebc or mbc?\r\nThe advantage of ebc over manual boost controller is in the way it allows custom boost settings in differnt gears and rpm ranges (whereas the mbc will simply hold boost at a max level across all gears rpm levels = dangerous).\r\n\r\nHope this helps... Bear in mind I'm running this at 15psi on stock everything, however I just today ordered a stack of AVO parts so I'll post back the results with a freer flowing intake/exhaust.

Mr Rex

Postby Mr Rex » Thu May 27, 2004 10:53 am

Ben, what would you charge to fit one?

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Thu May 27, 2004 8:01 pm

Hey Mr Rex, where are you?\r\n\r\nAre you in the group buy? I'd do it for nothing if we did a mod-party type deal (i.e. a few beers and some pizza).\r\n\r\nIt's really not that hard and I'm sure I could do it in 1-2 hours this time around (especially with the right wiring diag!) or just provide assistance with the terrifying bits like splicing your ecu wires :)\r\n\r\nI'm also saving myself for my uppipe/exhaust/smt6/waterspray install :)

Mr Rex

Postby Mr Rex » Fri May 28, 2004 9:50 am

I'm in Essendon mate. \r\n\r\nI have been thinking about one of these for a while as I want a boost gauge as well but why bother if I get one these. I have heard they are a little hard to tune thats all, but you have seemed to have handled it quite well.\r\n\r\nI am waiting a price from Darkwatch (forum member) on a group buy price as well and he is a local.\r\n\r\nJust up in the air about it at the moment.\r\n\r\nThanks for the offer as well mate, its very generous of you. Pizzas on me for sure.

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Fri May 28, 2004 1:36 pm

Wow, I'm in Pascoe Vale, so we're practically next door neighbours. If you decide to go ahead outside of the group buy or tuning party send me an email and we can hook up after work or during the day (I work from home).

I bought mine for $670 fedexed to my door (4 business days) from: http://stores.ebay.com/5400rpm_W0QQcolZ ... ayZ2QQtZkm\r\n\r\nBut you might get one cheaper...
Last edited by Clutchcargo on Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Rex

Postby Mr Rex » Fri May 28, 2004 1:58 pm

I think I need to come past and say hello since we are so close. \r\n\r\nI would love to see the boost gauge and AVCR mods in person.

Clutchcargo
WRX STi Driver

Postby Clutchcargo » Fri May 28, 2004 5:35 pm

mate, welcome any time... message me from here (it goes to my home office address), and I'll give you my mobile/addy.\r\n\r\nprobably hanging around tomorrow morning or tonight..\r\n\r\nCheers,\r\nBen.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:51 am

Once again brilliant article, thought i would revive it because it made installing the AVCR a sinch.

Just one thing to add. Do Not remove the stock solenoid all together and leave the original loom plugged into it otherwise you will get a CEL.

Psyklops
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Psyklops » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:15 pm

Absolutely brilliant! This stuff should be made a *sticky*! :D
VW Passat CC V6 3.6

Postby Age » Sun May 08, 2005 5:37 pm

SaMmYJ
Learner Driver

Postby SaMmYJ » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:41 pm

thanx for that diy , it really heapd me heaps wen installing the avcr into my forester , old one qestion , ther is 2 spots u put the purple wire , wichi one it go to ? both ? thanx again
booost.

Return to “DIY Guides”