Gates Air con Belt harder then timing belt install

jays22b
Learner Driver

Gates Air con Belt harder then timing belt install

Postby jays22b » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:07 am

There a self tensioning belt on the air conditioner , Does anyone know where to get the install kit from? Just done my timing belt + water pump and this was the hardest thing to work out. Thank god for youtube as none of my mate had any idea on what was going on.

Any way 136k on belt and still could have done 200k but one of the belt rollers was ready to explode , bearing dust and bad noises coming from it, The engine is a lot quieter now which make me think it was a very close call.

Any how got pics if anyone wants to see but does anyone know where to get that gates install kit from? There not expensive just hard to find? Around 30-40 buck

cheers guys/girls

jays22b
Learner Driver

Re: Gates Air con Belt harder then timing belt install

Postby jays22b » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:21 pm

If anyone interested u can buy the belts by them self from local auto shop but there will be no install kit and u will not get the belt on without it. So subaru is only place i could source the kit and u have to buy the belt with it at $150 and they wanted another $90 to do it ( did it myself btw).

The kit is re-useable and takes 5min to put on. So next time i do that belt i can buy the belt from local repco supercheap store for $30 and used this kit again. Big dollars for a small plastic guide and a small steel guide plate with 1 bolt. Youtube gate belts if need help.

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:36 pm

I hope you replaced both tensioner pully/bearings AND that you put them in the right place as they are DIFFERENT ... One has just a single bearing inside and the other has a double bearing. This is because one has a LOT more strain on it... If you put them on the wrong places, the single will flog out.. Even "experts" stuff this up..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:24 am

I'm sure my new timing belt kit rectified that issue by replacing the old single roller with a double. There aren't any different bearings, they are the same now. :)

Return to “DIY Guides”