Additional accessory power ports

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Additional accessory power ports

Postby Yeldz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:20 am

Hi all,
I did a quick addition of extra accessory power ports this morning.
Needed extra ports for running dash cam, navigation device & phone charger (running Torque Pro app drains your phone battery rapidly) oh yeah & Power Base car charger, CB car charger etc (not that I would have all this stuff plugged in at once)

I picked up a 2 x USB - 2 x cigarette lighter port unit from Autobarn as pictured below.
It came with a cigarette lighter plug.
I didn't want it hanging it in front of my gear shift so removed the lighter plug.
Purchased a Narva 10A inline fuse.
Whipped off the gearshift surround & tapped into the back of the lighter with the inline fuse on the positive wire.
Attached it to the console underneath the glove box with double sided tape & job done.

Wiring Diagram

Required Tools:
Side cutters
Bull nose pliers
Crimping tool
Wire strippers
Small Phillips head screw driver

Required equipment:
Additional accessory power port unit.
Electrical tape
4 mm cables joiners
Double sided tape
10 amp inline fuse

Method:
Remove gearshift knob
Undo shift boot clip
Remove shift surround console (for 03-05 GD series place 2 fingers in the shift surround console at the handbrake end then gently pull up & back towards the rear of the vehicle)
Undo the plug on the stock wiring harness for the cigarette lighter & remove the unit.
Cut both the positive & ground wires in the middle between the lighter & the plug then strip back insulation 10 mm.
Use the bull nose pliers to twist the inner conductors then crimp on to one end of the cable joiners (lighter side) for both positive & ground wires.
Remove the lighter plug from the additional accessory power unit.
Snip off the illumination LED between the positive & ground wires with your side cutters.
Snip off the internal fuse plug.
Snip off the internal ground connection.
Strip back wires to 10 mm
Open the new 10 amp inline fuse then cut the wire in the middle.
Strip back the insulation at each end to 10 mm.
Connect one end of the inline fuse wire to the incoming stock accessory power wire.
Use the bull nose pliers to twist the inner conductors together then crimp to the remaining end of the cable joiner on the positive circuit.
Connect (crimp) the other end of the inline fuse to the positive wire to the new additional accessory power unit.
Insert the fuse & clip the 2 parts of the inline fuse together.
Connect (crimp) the stock incoming ground wire & the new accessory power units ground wire together in the remaining end of the cable joiner ground circuit.
Ensure all crimped connections are solid then use electrical tape to neaten up the loom.
You should now have the new additional accessory power unit connected to the stock cigarette lighter loom plug.
Feed this up the back of your console & through to the front of the console.
Reconnect the lighter loom plugs together.
Switch on the car to Accessory power to make sure all is good.
If so reinstall the gearshift console surround & gearshift knob.
Use double sided tape to mount the new power unit to the console. (clean the mounting area with metho first)
Should take around 30 - 40 minutes to complete the job (took me twice as long to type this out)
All41N14All

05-RSX
S204 Driver

Re: Additional accessory power ports

Postby 05-RSX » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Nice.
I've always found a distinct lack of easily accessible 12v outlets for charging stuff in the Imprezas.

I did a similar thing in mine a few months ago:

Campbell.
Team Wagon.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Neat!
So is the button power on/power off for the usb port?
If so is it illuminated when on?

My missus bugeye has a blanked out slot in the same position.
I was thinking NOS switch though...jk
All41N14All

05-RSX
S204 Driver

Postby 05-RSX » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes and Yes.
Campbell.
Team Wagon.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Very nice custom job mate!
I'll have a crack at doing the same to my missus ride.
(although NOS would be great lol, her car is pulling 19.5 psi at full boost & takes me by surprise when it kicks in)

So with the USB slot did you just drill a few holes in line for the slot & file out with a small fine tooth flat file?
Nail file perhaps?
One more question...the switch with illumination...Jaycar? (oh yeah does it light up green?)
All41N14All

turboshift
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby turboshift » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:04 pm

That's a awesome switch!! Loving it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05-RSX
S204 Driver

Postby 05-RSX » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Yeah just marked it out, drilled the corners, used a hot knife, then filed smooth. Would've preferred a dremmel tool, but I don't own one.

Switch was from eBay, took forever to get here. Lights up red when on (well, you can wire it a few ways). The LED in it actually gave up the ghost a week or two ago. I think with the 14V supply (ie engine running) the resistor wasn't large enough value and was running the LED too hard. I should've checked the resisitance prior and dropped in an additional resistor in series to pull it back a little (also also reduce it's brightness, which was too bright for my liking).
Campbell.
Team Wagon.

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks for reply Campbell
I'll look around for a similar switch, I would certainly prefer a subtle green illumination.
I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, or I could trick one up.
Yeah bright red LED at night would not be pleasant.
All41N14All

Yeldz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby Yeldz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:24 pm

So I found & purchased a switch for my girls ride >>> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Car-Boat-Black-Aluminum-Metal-Switch-LED-Push-ON-OFF-Power-Button-16mm-New-/131297214170?var=&hash=item1e91ec7eda:m:mD1xRUq8kJcVoMir_qwMm0Q

Being black it should be unnoticeable when off.

I've got a box full of old car chargers for phones etc that could be used to step down 12v to 5v for USB power supply but grabbed one of these >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Converter-Module-12V-To-5V-3A-15W-USB-Output-Power-Adapter-SC-/251734856189
Just hell easy for the price.
It will need some work with a scalpel though for usability with the blanked out switch plate.

Also considering a flush mount female USB with cap but would need to shave the edges off if I go that route.
I think with the cap it pushes diameter out to 26-28mm which would be ugly & defeat the purpose, that being a subtle charging port.
All41N14All

Return to “DIY Guides”