Scratched trim? Wrap it :-)

mrjarrodcthompson
Probationary Driver

Scratched trim? Wrap it :-)

Postby mrjarrodcthompson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:23 am

This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find a thread here..

I had some scratched trim in my 2011 WRX around my radio and gear shifter that I wanted to fix...

Rather than paint or replace, I thought I'd have a go at Vinyl Wrap with some carbon fibre style. I picked up 1.5m x 1m of "3D Carbon Fibre" on Ebay for $20 which is probably enough to do your entire roof or bonnet! I removed the parts - and also gave the radio surround a very light wet-dry sand. Then cut some vinyl roughly to size.

The wrapping itself is relatively easy to do, all you need is a blade and a hair dryer or heat gun (though a heat gun can actually be too hot so be careful). I'd recommend you check out a couple of YouTube videos before you try to see what to expect and the general technique - but in reality vinyl is quite forgiving, and you can re-work areas if you get a wrinkle or bubble.
The trickiest parts are tight curves or changing angles - but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. The heat allows you to stretch and work it around.

Finished gearshift surround.

Radio surround. I have since worked this a little better in the corners with some heat.

The "3D" wrap has a texture and is actually very convincing. You can also get "4D" and "5D" Carbon Fibre wrap, which from what I can gather have varying levels of gloss and texture.

Good luck.
MY 11 WRX Sedan
WR Blue
#Flexfuel and a very long list of bolt-on bits. Stock turbo.
#Tuned by Warwick @ Got it Rex

Sandown 1:26.2
Winton 1:48 in a 1992 Toyota Corolla

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Re: Scratched trim? Wrap it :-)

Postby neptune11 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 am

mrjarrodcthompson wrote:This has probably been covered before but I couldn't find a thread here..

I had some scratched trim in my 2011 WRX around my radio and gear shifter that I wanted to fix...

Rather than paint or replace, I thought I'd have a go at Vinyl Wrap with some carbon fibre style. I picked up 1.5m x 1m of "3D Carbon Fibre" on Ebay for $20 which is probably enough to do your entire roof or bonnet! I removed the parts - and also gave the radio surround a very light wet-dry sand. Then cut some vinyl roughly to size.

The wrapping itself is relatively easy to do, all you need is a blade and a hair dryer or heat gun (though a heat gun can actually be too hot so be careful). I'd recommend you check out a couple of YouTube videos before you try to see what to expect and the general technique - but in reality vinyl is quite forgiving, and you can re-work areas if you get a wrinkle or bubble.
The trickiest parts are tight curves or changing angles - but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. The heat allows you to stretch and work it around.

Finished gearshift surround.

Radio surround. I have since worked this a little better in the corners with some heat.

The "3D" wrap has a texture and is actually very convincing. You can also get "4D" and "5D" Carbon Fibre wrap, which from what I can gather have varying levels of gloss and texture.

Good luck.

Rocking job there...
I've got some blue carbon wrap, if you'd like to do mine?? Ha... I've not got the patients...!!
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

vinshonz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby vinshonz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:33 am

I've done the carbon wrap before, watch in summer the glue will come off and start peeling or creating air bubbles

another method is to plastidip them, last alot longer!

to this

2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250
VF52, AVO TBE into STi muffler, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact, Kobe Silicone Intake, Kobe 340LPH pump

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 -SOLD

Delivan
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby Delivan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:24 am

If it bubbles.. Stick a pin into the bubble gently and then squeeze the air out. It should be fine for ever after that. Just make sure you only put the smallest of holes in it and you won't be able to see the hole at all when you are finished.. I have that stuff on some external parts for several years without drama..
'09 Impreza Charcoal Hatch Auto
'03 WRX Pearl Red Bug Sedan
'02 WRX Silver Bug Wagon
'98 WRX Blue Club Spec Evo 2 with 2.5 lt
'99 WRX White Sti Version 6 with 2.5 lt
'98 Mitsubishi EVO 5 (kept in the basement)

mrjarrodcthompson
Probationary Driver

Postby mrjarrodcthompson » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:33 am

Cheers I'll keep an eye out for bubbles... though I did spend a long time heating and stretching so fingers crossed. I did my roof two years ago though and it has never had any bubbles.

Nice job with the Plasti Dip - I never really thought the finish was good enough for interior trim, but that looks good.

I think we all agree, a big improvement over scratched/scuffed trim!
MY 11 WRX Sedan
WR Blue
#Flexfuel and a very long list of bolt-on bits. Stock turbo.
#Tuned by Warwick @ Got it Rex

Sandown 1:26.2
Winton 1:48 in a 1992 Toyota Corolla

vinshonz
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby vinshonz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:10 pm

yeah mate no dramas, i've done both so atleast u know there another alternative if you dont wanna re wrap the carbon,

1 plastidip spray can about $20 and your set :D

enough left over to do your wrx badge too!
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250
VF52, AVO TBE into STi muffler, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact, Kobe Silicone Intake, Kobe 340LPH pump

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 -SOLD

mv75
WRX STi Driver

Postby mv75 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:02 am

The OP looks ok wrapped because of the sections with the break up in between. Yours looks better plastidipped as it was one huge mass of wrap and the plastidip makes it look a lot more mature than what it was.

Return to “DIY Guides”