I'm curious what everyone uses to monitor, log their cars on the track. I'm tried lots of combos and interested in sharing my experiences and learning from others.
Right now, here is what I use.... What do you use?
- Laptimer - Harrys Laptimer Grand Prix
- Phone - iPhone to Harrys. Android to Laptop
- Mounts - RAM
- GPS - RaceLogic Vbox Sport
- OBD - Tactrix to a Laptop
- Video - 2 GoPro Hero 4
- Logging - Tactrix to a laptop. Custom Dash
- Software Analysis CirtcuitTools, MegaLogViewer
Below is what I've tried and what I think. Lap Timers
- Harry's Laptimer Grand Prix
Harry's is OK, but it feels dated. Connecting to accessories always seems cumbersome. I've have started looking at TrackAddict. What is everyone using and prefer?Smatphone
- iPhone 6S with 128GB.
- Google Pixel XL 128GB.
I think any modern phone is fine, just need storage if you intend recording video with it.Mounts
Buy these, they are the best mounts I've used. GPS Trackers
- Racelogic Vbox Sport with external antenna. Excellent
- Dual XGPS 160 (Sky Pro) Selling
I started out with The Dual XGPS connected to Harry's, but did not find it picked up a good signal. Vbox is excellent, just requires setting up external antenna each time and records at 20Hz.OBD
- PLX Kiwi3 for iPhone
- OBDLink LX for Android
PLX is good for iPhone as it is BT LE is connects everytime. They charge for their App though which is dumb. OBDLink is very good for Android and their App is no charge. Both are well supported by the main Laptimer Apps. Both are quiet useful for day to day driving and work well with DashCommand and other AppsVideo
- Two GoPro Hero 4 cameras. Selling
- Occasionally use the phone camera with Harry's
- Tried Garmin Virb. Was not great, sold it
I've tried several generations of GoPro. They feel dated now and I'm not happy with them. Did try the first gen Garmin Virb and its GPS sensor was too slow for motorsport. Engine Logging
- Tactrix and Custom Dash displaying real time on Android phone and logging to Windows laptop
This is a home grown setup from my brother. Works everytime. A budget man's Motec dash Software Analysis at tracking
- Raccelogic CircuitTools.
CircuitTools is excellent for lap analysis and generating best virtual lap between all your laps. It also has a good App but I don't use it. MegaLogViwer I use to quickly check the engine side for anomalies. I don't really use Harry's since moving over to CircuitTools. Software Analysis in the shed
- EcuFlash to reflash the ECU
- RomRaider to log
- HPTuners to log
When back home, I use EcuFlash and the Taxtrix to edit and reflash my car. I use RomRaider to compare ROMs and RomRaider Logger to analyse. Since I have a Clubsport, I also have HPTuners and being commercialsoftware, it is an excellent general purpose logger. It just does not get all the Subaru PIDs that Romraider Logger can.