Where is your car at???

rickzta
Club Supporter

Where is your car at???

Postby rickzta » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 pm

There has been a bit of talk of new "track cars" in the build, just curious to see what stage of the build they are at?

I know about a few and where they are at in their build process.

As most of you know, I'm building a GC8 widebody coupe, I'm hoping to have it finished by the start of 2014, the cage is currently being fitted and I have a stockpile of parts to start bolting it all together, I still need a few things like a six speed, the widebody kit itself, an autronic... Yada yada yada.

Once the cage is done and I start putting it together, I'll post up some pics.

It would be sweet to see or hear where your at...

Cheers

Ricky
2 Door Widebody in the build process...

rickzta
Club Supporter

Re: Where is your car at???

Postby rickzta » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 pm

And also, the cars that have been around for a while but haven't seen, what are the cars doing? Are they parked up? Getting new works? For sale?

Cheers

Ricky

AVO450
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby AVO450 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey Rick
Wide body is getting fitted as we speak, bottom end will be getting built next month
Then bolting all the rest of it together...... Hopefully will be ready for start of 2014. ....
but will c how we go . I would rather take my time with the total build , get it right first time ... ...
Will be some good fun next year , will be some records broken by the sounds with some cutting edge technology and modifications !
Watch his space !!!!

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 pm

AVO450 wrote:Hey Rick
Wide body is getting fitted as we speak, bottom end will be getting built next month
Then bolting all the rest of it together...... Hopefully will be ready for start of 2014. ....
but will c how we go . I would rather take my time with the total build , get it right first time ... ...
Will be some good fun next year , will be some records broken by the sounds with some cutting edge technology and modifications !
Watch his space !!!!

Nice...

I would love to see some pics of the widebody being fitted, I'll be ordering mine in the next few weeks!!!

Did you end up removing the steel rear quarters?

Cheers

Ricky

Brutus
Impreza RS Driver

Postby Brutus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:36 am

Mine is parked until the next Winton round, Got a project lined up for a new road car that's keeping me busy.
Attachments
rs.jpg
rs.jpg (240.44 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

AVO450
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby AVO450 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 am

yes ...removed the rear quarters and got some piccie will send them to you fella and u upload them if u want ....im lazy!!

blotto
S204 Driver

Postby blotto » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:43 am

My car needs a new timing belt and cam seals. Some new rotors and tyres.
Doubt I'll make the jump into race next year, by the looks of it I'll be out gunned.
Veni Vidi Vici

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:06 pm

AVO450 wrote:yes ...removed the rear quarters and got some piccie will send them to you fella and u upload them if u want ....im lazy!!

Sweet...

mikes
Blue MY08 WRX Driver
Blue MY08 WRX Driver

Postby mikes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:52 pm

mine is a never ending money pit, last friday clutch pedal felt weird, was starting to stick...

thought air in the hydraulics, flushed and as i was pumping up the pedal i hear a crunch and it sticks to the floor...

initial pedal issue: (yes the clutch fork broke and jammed on the pivot ball

Subsequent issue: (yes the slave cylinder piston siezed)
MY08 WRX

AVO450
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby AVO450 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:15 pm

rickzta wrote:
AVO450 wrote:yes ...removed the rear quarters and got some piccie will send them to you fella and u upload them if u want ....im lazy!!

Sweet...

There Monday to do some more work to it, so will get some good ones.....
got a few more bits for it ....V mount intercooler set up,Most of the MSI gear,Billett throttle body,.....recieved the heads that Tont Knight did for Jared on Queensland.Wow!!!!!!
Will get onto it and shoot u the piccies
Pt

cornfed
Impreza RS Driver

Postby cornfed » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:24 pm

AVO450 wrote:
rickzta wrote:

Sweet...

There Monday to do some more work to it, so will get some good ones.....
got a few more bits for it ....V mount intercooler set up,Most of the MSI gear,Billett throttle body,.....recieved the heads that Tont Knight did for Jared on Queensland.Wow!!!!!!
Will get onto it and shoot u the piccies
Pt

Post them up its easy. just make an imageshack account and upload them

Lostprophet
MY11 WRX Driver

Postby Lostprophet » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi Ricky,

as you may tell from the many posts in the Technical talk forum, I am new the the whole track car / mechanical work sides so things have been a little slow on my Track car. A lot of money spent has also been on professionals doing some of the work for me. I am really looking forward to tax time as I usually get a it of a cash bonus and the car will see some new work. As soon as I get the money the car will be getting a a half roll cage in with new seats and harness.

I too wanted to go the wide body too but was wondering how much it costed and where abouts you get the body panels from ?

Thanks
Kiel
-----Autobots transform and roll out-----
Street Class
Sandown 1:30.43 (23/04/2017)
Calder Park 1:12.26 (20/09/2014)
Phillip Island 2:00.09 (02/07/2017)
Broadford 1:10.41 (24/09/2017)

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Lostprophet wrote:Hi Ricky,

as you may tell from the many posts in the Technical talk forum, I am new the the whole track car / mechanical work sides so things have been a little slow on my Track car. A lot of money spent has also been on professionals doing some of the work for me. I am really looking forward to tax time as I usually get a it of a cash bonus and the car will see some new work. As soon as I get the money the car will be getting a a half roll cage in with new seats and harness.

I too wanted to go the wide body too but was wondering how much it costed and where abouts you get the body panels from ?

Thanks
Kiel

Hey Kiel,

It's the never ending saga... Money money money.

I'm quite lucky as I have a workshop at my disposal, it only costs me beers in rent :thumbs:
And a few good mates with extensive mechanical knowledge to point me in the right direction if I get stuck on something.

As for the widebody, I'll be using the same kit as AVO450, it's an aerosim kit from the states, I'll be using the carbon fibre kit to try and get the weight down...

As for the cage, I can point you in the right direction of a bloke that works from home, he does an excellent job and is priced right!

If you ever need a hand, just shout out, I do get quite bored sometimes when I'm on my r&r and swinging spanners seems to be a bit of an addiction to me!

Cheers

Ricky

rickzta
Club Supporter

Postby rickzta » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:10 pm

P.S. the offer of lending a hand, is to anyone that is building a track car, many hands make light work and the more cars we can get built, the more cars at our track days!

Cheers

Ricky

AlexNorinh
White Wheeled Blue Bugeye WRX Driver
White Wheeled Blue Bugeye WRX Driver

Postby AlexNorinh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 am

been very slowly working on the tune and converting to speed density.. but tonight some bright spark rear ended me. next stage was to get it on the dyno and perfect the tune

93 RS Liberty Turbo
Probationary Driver

Postby 93 RS Liberty Turbo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:37 am

rickzta wrote:P.S. the offer of lending a hand, is to anyone that is building a track car, many hands make light work and the more cars we can get built, the more cars at our track days!

Cheers

Ricky

That goes for me too. As I work week on and week off, my week off is usually fairly quiet if I'm not working on my own car. I have plenty of space at home to work on cars so if you don't mind a trip out to Lara, I'm more than happy to offer my workspace, tools and time to help people out. Only thing my home workshop is missing is a hoist, but there is not much I can't accomplish with the gear I have got. So feel free to PM me to see how I can help you out.

Daniel Sedgman
Proud Liberty RS Driver
And
Secretary of Motorsport

stk-sti
Impreza RS Driver

Postby stk-sti » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:24 am

its great to see everyone pouring money into projects. It makes me feel at ease knowing im not the only one.

i got a MY99 GC8 which has been on stands since August 2012. Got a fresh EJ207 bottom end, 03 sti box, VF34, Process West FMIC, Apexi PFC and other goodies too. Its been a major learning curve for me as im doing a lot of the work myself to cut costs but i ran into a mega boo boo when putting the engine together, i put the head gasket on the wrong way. Oil went everywhere when i tried to start it for the first time. I had to start all over again :wall:

Being optimistic im hoping to get 220kw but at the moment only time will tell. Im really keen on getting it on the road so i can go to the club event in Phillip Island on the 20th of July.

And Ricky, when u say "Track Cars" did u mean all out track or people's version of the track which is still road registered? because mine is still registered but no way near track ready by a long shot. Anyone else got the mentality of "Just getting it onto the track by whatever means necessary"?

Vang Tran

AVO450
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby AVO450 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:33 am

Hi guys
Great response on all this .
If u need any advise or contacts , give me a message on
0488337111 , or a call. I have plenty of contacts , made all the mistakes( lol)
Before this build , back in 04 we one of the first 6 speed conversions, built a ripper 2.35 stroker , ayed with flow of the heads etc etc . Was a ripper little car . Sold it and then it was converted to a spec C 05 sti , and went on to win 08/09 Vic rally championship .
Our current build is just a pure track car with the obvious car of course a gc8 coupe
It will be a 116 octane chewing 2.7 stroker with all the bits on it Ppg gearbox
F p black turbo , twin scroll headers then modded to single entry , V mount intercooler
Dry sump setup , deleted water pump , electric power steering , handmade inlet manifold , nitros , Autronic , adsl dash , widebody kit 18x 9.5 , MCA gold series suspension , AP / Brembos , trick Cage , firebomb .. Oil coolers , gearbox cooler diff cooler Davies Craig electric water pump .. The list goes on.
It has been nearly 2 years in getting all the gear together ..... It's been a blast doing all this trying to match and get it all to " hopefully " work .
But I reckon we have most bits covered ...

bazzasti
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby bazzasti » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm

stk-sti wrote:Anyone else got the mentality of "Just getting it onto the track by whatever means necessary"?

Vang Tran

ROFL YES. My car has been sticky taped, glued and cable tied together since 2009 just so it can simply hit the track and not sit in a shed. My budget is about $3.20 per year : P so not always easy to get out and it's a lot harder to go fast.

But anyway, hoping to get out in December, Nev did a 1:30 odd back in March before he blew up so will be good to try and top it. If you've viewed his in car footage... POWER POWER POWER, it was amazing how much it was worth per lap. Prolly 2-3 seconds going from 225 kw to 300 kw alone at Winton which was rather interesting and shockingly annoying at the same time haha. Aiming for 1:28's this year. As for the car, it's been re-invented again so stuff everywhere and it is running, sort of.

Hodgey
Probationary Driver

Postby Hodgey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:05 am

My car needs a bit of love to get back out on the track.

List of things to do:
- put engine back together
- heat wrap headers with ACL sheet
- rotate comp housing on TD05-20G
- weld up some new FMIC pipine
- weld up under manifold intake
- clean up wiring in engine bay and heat shield anything near exhaust
- cut front and rear quarter panels and install guard flares
- relocate power steering pump
- lower solid seat rails in car
- fix front lip (fibreglass)

Once all of the above is done, I need to take it to a dyno and tune the fker as well.......

Hmm, what are my chances of it being ready by mid august given I'll be away for 3 weeks in NZ from late July... Hahaha
Sandown - 1:27.78 (25Mar2012)
PI - 1:48.12 (10Nov2013) - http://youtu.be/HWk38V_HZBU
Winton - 1:37.43 (8Dec2012) - Video to come
Mallala - 1:21.4 (4May2012) - http://youtu.be/2QBjSxs8yrE

Return to “Public Club Motorsport Discussions”