Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

slim
Probationary Driver
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby slim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Kyle,
Glad you are okay mate after that horrifying incident , apologises for the late post but was away and unable to attend Sandown and have obviously spent sometime catching up with Kurt , snowy etc about this , you certainly featured heavily in our committee meeting held this week . As you said and we hear so many times the metal can be replaced . Good to see your talking about a new car and look forward to catching up with you sometime soon.
Others,
It certainly opens your eyes to the potential for something like this to happen to anyone, we all know ( and the signs tell us ) that motorsport is dangerous. Interesting to read all your thoughts on the safety of various tracks, gravel , run off etc and to see that although the safety has never been far from your minds this incident has certainly bought it back to the front of that important area usually protected by a helmet . Yes and it really doesn't matter whether its a standard GC8 or a 300Kw monster the repercussions can be very similar.
Kev Ward
Club President ( 2012-2017) - president@wrx.com.au
Current Drive; MY10 WRX Hatch

User avatar
Lostprophet
MY11 WRX Driver
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Lostprophet » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Its great to hear that your doing well Kyle and that these safety measures are working and that there is more talk on saftey from club members.

Does anyone know much on full cages being road legal? Last month I had a half cage installed and got the car re-engineered so its road legal but I really want to get the front half more secure especially from front impacts but dont know what i can do that will still keep the car road legal.
-----Autobots transform and roll out-----
Street Class
Sandown 1:30.43 (23/04/2017)
Calder Park 1:12.26 (20/09/2014)
Phillip Island 2:00.09 (02/07/2017)
Broadford 1:10.41 (24/09/2017)

h-are
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby h-are » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks all.

Snowy, I will never go on another track without a full 6 point cage.

Please take this as intended, which is concerned for yours and everyones well-being.... I completely understand the dilemma you 'think' you are facing, however at the moment every time I open the garage door I am reminded that I have my health (and maybe even my life) thanks to a hans etc. but mainly due to an $800 piece of metal that is still in its original position after hitting that retaining wall... To me it is pretty simple, its unfortunate if people cant go racing because they want to go for a drive on the weekend.

My Stance on this will be for life. If you cant afford the right safety gear, you cant afford to go racing.

As I said, Im not having a go at anyone racing without the safety gear but if you or anyone else asks me I'll tell you... Dont go racing without it. Mechanical failures happen and if it happens to you Im positive you will share my view but it could be to late because you want to go for a cruise on the weekend. Again not trying to be a dick or offend anyone Im just stating it as I see it.
Last edited by h-are on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:59 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula Vic

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Snowy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:10 pm

h-are wrote:To me it is pretty simple, its unfortunate if people cant go racing because they want to go for a drive on the weekend.

My Stance on this will be for life. If you cant afford the right safety gear, you cant afford to go racing.

Very well said Kyle & your comments are appreciated, certainly not taken the wrong way...to be honest, they need to be hard-hitting comments from someone who's just experienced what you have.

Your selected comments I've highlighted above probably hit the nail on the head for me.....many of us might unfortunately have to decide whether our car is for the track only or the road only :(
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: Bayside

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby neptune11 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Snowy wrote:
neptune11 wrote:May I ask Kurt & Mr Corduroy where you ordered your half cages through?. Will they also installed?

Yes please Kurt & Andrew, I would appreciate this information too!!

Very interesting discussion going on here....and being one of our Club members who does get around the track with standard seatbelt & no cage (albeit in Street class with a pretty standard MY00 GC8), it has me re-thinking safety for 2017 nervous

I can understand that installing a half/full cage or even harness bars for those with daily drivers could present a real dilemma - do I give up going on track or potentially stuff up the interior of my road car installing safety gear?!?

With my GC8 not doing daily duties anymore but still very much registered for the road as I love driving it on the road & doing our Club social cruises etc, my decision is more straightforward.


Hey Snowy,
As far as I'm aware, if you were to at least do half cage, you're still valid for road use purposes.. Anything more than a half cage, it's then not deemed as road legal... Unless racing..
But at least extra safety guaranteed .
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

magoo
Learner Driver
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby magoo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Snowy wrote:[quote="magoo"]I ordered a 6 point cage with door bars after the PI round, $1720 is cheap insurance plus it'll look cool..lol. There was a seven week wait so it should be here soon.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mind telling us where you sourced your cage from? And is it bolt-in or weld-in?[/quote]
Hey Snowy. Yeah mine is from AGI and it's a bolt in. They've been good to deal with.
I went with AGI after asking a few guys at Philip Island who had cages in their cars and AGI got the best feed back.
I also wanted a bolt in so I could take it out if I want to swap it to another car.
My GC8 is the same as yours which they have several options for. http://www.agi-precision.com.au/product-category/roll-cages/cams-roll-cages/bolt-in/subaru/gc8-gen-1/

When I ordered they had 80 orders for cages they had to build before they could get to mine, seems like they are in demand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Posts: 1351
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:59 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula Vic

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Snowy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks very much magoo, very kind of you to post the AGI link, quite a few options for the GC8....and wow, 80 orders ahead of you....although I'm not surprised as there does appear to be a real surge in safety awareness amongst club level motorsport lately, per this very forum thread.
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

Pleiades
Probationary Driver
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Pleiades » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:19 am

h-are wrote:Thanks all.

Snowy, I will never go on another track without a full 6 point cage.

Please take this as intended, which is concerned for yours and everyones well-being.... I completely understand the dilemma you 'think' you are facing, however at the moment every time I open the garage door I am reminded that I have my health (and maybe even my life) thanks to a hans etc. but mainly due to an $800 piece of metal that is still in its original position after hitting that retaining wall... To me it is pretty simple, its unfortunate if people cant go racing because they want to go for a drive on the weekend.

My Stance on this will be for life. If you cant afford the right safety gear, you cant afford to go racing.

As I said, Im not having a go at anyone racing without the safety gear but if you or anyone else asks me I'll tell you... Dont go racing without it. Mechanical failures happen and if it happens to you Im positive you will share my view but it could be to late because you want to go for a cruise on the weekend. Again not trying to be a dick or offend anyone Im just stating it as I see it.



As someone very involved in motorsport at this level, I agree completely.
Buying a $50 helmet says this is what i think my brain is worth.
Buy the best you can, Helmet, HANS, Rollcage.

As I said previously, HANS will be compulsory soon, but they are proven to work. Get one now.

About RollCages, my understanding is that you can fit a full cage, but you then need to reengineer/register you car as a two seater.
The other thing is quality. Race cages for logbooked cars need to be Certified by CAMS. Pick one of the suppliers of those in the CAMS Manual, it is also not about cost or ease of removal or what your mates say.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
blackrex
Black BMW M6 Driver
Black BMW M6 Driver
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:20 pm
Location: etatS sdrawkcaB ehT
Contact:

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby blackrex » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:39 am

Hi Guys,

Andy at Trackart, who used to be Meridian Motorsports chief fabricator, now does custom cages in the Bayswater area. His website is http://www.trackart.com.au/home.htm and he can do bolt in cages for cars. I'm putting this here as he is someone that I know and trust, and he does very good work.
"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples money." Margaret Thatcher.

TINSTAAFL

User avatar
blackrex
Black BMW M6 Driver
Black BMW M6 Driver
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:20 pm
Location: etatS sdrawkcaB ehT
Contact:

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby blackrex » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:48 am

Pleiades wrote:
As someone very involved in motorsport at this level, I agree completely.
Buying a $50 helmet says this is what i think my brain is worth.
Buy the best you can, Helmet, HANS, Rollcage.

As I said previously, HANS will be compulsory soon, but they are proven to work. Get one now.

About RollCages, my understanding is that you can fit a full cage, but you then need to reengineer/register you car as a two seater.
The other thing is quality. Race cages for logbooked cars need to be Certified by CAMS. Pick one of the suppliers of those in the CAMS Manual, it is also not about cost or ease of removal or what your mates say.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I have to agree with the comments regarding HANS devices, I have used one since they where released, and now will not get in the car without one. You do have to make sure that you have the harness setup correctly to suit the device, and always get the sliding tethers on the device, not the fixed.
"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples money." Margaret Thatcher.

TINSTAAFL

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: Bayside

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby neptune11 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:00 am

blackrex wrote:Hi Guys,

Andy at Trackart, who used to be Meridian Motorsports chief fabricator, now does custom cages in the Bayswater area. His website is http://www.trackart.com.au/home.htm and he can do bolt in cages for cars. I'm putting this here as he is someone that I know and trust, and he does very good work.


Yeah, I was in contact with Trackart also for my rear harness bar, but ended up getting it through AGI, as they already had the engineering layout for it from previously making them, but there was a well worth wait, as they have there own race team, & busy making cages...
If I go half cage, I'd be getting a fabrication installation..
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby ratty05 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:14 am

magoo wrote:
Snowy wrote:[quote="magoo"]I ordered a 6 point cage with door bars after the PI round, $1720 is cheap insurance plus it'll look cool..lol. There was a seven week wait so it should be here soon.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mind telling us where you sourced your cage from? And is it bolt-in or weld-in?

Hey Snowy. Yeah mine is from AGI and it's a bolt in. They've been good to deal with.
I went with AGI after asking a few guys at Philip Island who had cages in their cars and AGI got the best feed back.
I also wanted a bolt in so I could take it out if I want to swap it to another car.
My GC8 is the same as yours which they have several options for. http://www.agi-precision.com.au/product-category/roll-cages/cams-roll-cages/bolt-in/subaru/gc8-gen-1/

When I ordered they had 80 orders for cages they had to build before they could get to mine, seems like they are in demand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Hi Magoo, where did you get your cage fitted or did you DIY?

User avatar
KuRT12
Impreza 22B Driver
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 pm
Location: Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby KuRT12 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:16 am

Hey for whoever asked earlier in the thread, Lux Racing will be custom fabbing up a half cage for me later this Month.

I spoke to AGI as they have a great reputation, they were on a 86 cage back-log and looking at delivery mid Jan. Was a bit nervous to try and make round 1 next year.

I also spoke to Brown Davis, was about a 2 week turn around and the same price (as no freight - local in Bayswater) and could also offer Installation for a few Hundred extra.
MY '12 SWP WRX STi Spec. R Sedan
Sandown 1:20.48 - Winton 1:35.19 - Wakefield 1:06.84 - Phillip Island 1:44.96 - Broadford 1:03.80 - SMSP Gardner (AD08) : 1:48.05

magoo
Learner Driver
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby magoo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:21 am

ratty05 wrote:[
Hi Magoo, where did you get your cage fitted or did you DIY?

Hi ratty05,
It hasn't arrived yet, should be here in couple of weeks. When it turns up I will put it in.

User avatar
Mr Corduroy
Silver/Blue WRX Driver
Silver/Blue WRX Driver
Posts: 2171
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Melbourne - Inner Eastern

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Mr Corduroy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:07 am

KuRT12 wrote:Hey for whoever asked earlier in the thread, Lux Racing will be custom fabbing up a half cage for me later this Month.

I spoke to AGI as they have a great reputation, they were on a 86 cage back-log and looking at delivery mid Jan. Was a bit nervous to try and make round 1 next year.

I also spoke to Brown Davis, was about a 2 week turn around and the same price (as no freight - local in Bayswater) and could also offer Installation for a few Hundred extra.


I ordered an AGI half cage earlier this week and yes there will be a long delay.

Whilst I have no concerns about AGI, there may well be other good options for two reasons:
- The delay; and
- A weld in solution would probably be safer than a bolt in solution.

It seems there are other reputable suppliers as posted by others.
Silver MY05 WRX & Blue MY98 WRX

User avatar
Mr Corduroy
Silver/Blue WRX Driver
Silver/Blue WRX Driver
Posts: 2171
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Melbourne - Inner Eastern

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Mr Corduroy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 am

Lostprophet wrote: . . . Last month I had a half cage installed and got the car re-engineered so its road legal but I really want to get the front half more secure especially from front impacts but dont know what i can do that will still keep the car road legal.


Did you get a VASS signatory to say it's OK, or did you simply just show it to VicRoads?
Silver MY05 WRX & Blue MY98 WRX

Pleiades
Probationary Driver
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Pleiades » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:23 am

blackrex wrote:[quote="Pleiades"]

As someone very involved in motorsport at this level, I agree completely.
Buying a $50 helmet says this is what i think my brain is worth.
Buy the best you can, Helmet, HANS, Rollcage.

As I said previously, HANS will be compulsory soon, but they are proven to work. Get one now.

About RollCages, my understanding is that you can fit a full cage, but you then need to reengineer/register you car as a two seater.
The other thing is quality. Race cages for logbooked cars need to be Certified by CAMS. Pick one of the suppliers of those in the CAMS Manual, it is also not about cost or ease of removal or what your mates say.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I have to agree with the comments regarding HANS devices, I have used one since they where released, and now will not get in the car without one. You do have to make sure that you have the harness setup correctly to suit the device, and always get the sliding tethers on the device, not the fixed.[/quote]

Hi Black
Ah yes I forgot that, make sure harness straps are at right angle and not slack.
Other big no no is doing a do it yourself job attaching to helmet.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Lostprophet
MY11 WRX Driver
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Lostprophet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Mr Corduroy wrote:
Lostprophet wrote: . . . Last month I had a half cage installed and got the car re-engineered so its road legal but I really want to get the front half more secure especially from front impacts but dont know what i can do that will still keep the car road legal.


Did you get a VASS signatory to say it's OK, or did you simply just show it to VicRoads?


There was 2 forms i needed for the re-registration. 1 was a vic roads form (cant remember its name. Will check at home) the other was the engineers report. A new engeering plated was needed also that was installed in the engine bay to pass compliance. After that it was just take it down to vic roads so they could check it out and it was all done.

In my opinion the price difference between and bolt in and fabricated one is not that much more but it will provide a lot more strenght. I got a weld in cage for this fact. No point doing it if I'm going to do it in halves. The plus side also is it can be added too and turn into a full cage.
As for if I sell the car. Who's to say i wont retain the value of my car with the cage anyways. Cage free gc8 is worth so little these days.
-----Autobots transform and roll out-----
Street Class
Sandown 1:30.43 (23/04/2017)
Calder Park 1:12.26 (20/09/2014)
Phillip Island 2:00.09 (02/07/2017)
Broadford 1:10.41 (24/09/2017)

User avatar
Mr Corduroy
Silver/Blue WRX Driver
Silver/Blue WRX Driver
Posts: 2171
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Melbourne - Inner Eastern

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby Mr Corduroy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Silver MY05 WRX & Blue MY98 WRX

h-are
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Sandown Wrap Up (29/10/16)

Postby h-are » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:46 am

I have a mate in my garage cutting my cage out right now. Once we get the roof off if there is no structural damage it will be for sale

Lux spec half cage weld in for GC (obviously). Selling because I have just bought a car with a comprehensive cage so not needed anymore.

Return to “Public Club Motorsport Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests