Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

User avatar
blackrex
Black BMW M6 Driver
Black BMW M6 Driver
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:20 pm
Location: etatS sdrawkcaB ehT
Contact:

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby blackrex » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:22 am

It's one of the reasons that I do not like Sandown, in that if something goes wrong, you do not have a lot of opportunity or time to resolve the issue before something serious happens. I have gone into the fence at Sandown twice, one a similar impact location to the Volvo at this years Sandown 500, when I had a brake pad failure and instant loss of brakes, pitching me into the outside wall, and the other out of turn 4 when I was assisted into the fence after a side to side impact with another car broke a steering arm in the car. both of which, if I had more room to move in, would have been avoidable.

I have also been involved on the officials side with a number of large crashes at Sandown, a couple of which I put down to a lack of track maintenance, such as a car that rolled on the turn 1 exit curb as the backside of the curb had had the soil removed during previous events, and not replaced. Some of them where very lucky to not have more serious implications for the drivers involved, I think that the worse injuries were a small cut on one drivers hand, and a slight concussion for another driver.
"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples money." Margaret Thatcher.

TINSTAAFL

User avatar
bazzasti
Impreza 22B Driver
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:26 am

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby bazzasti » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:01 pm

blackrex wrote:It's one of the reasons that I do not like Sandown, in that if something goes wrong, you do not have a lot of opportunity or time to resolve the issue before something serious happens. I have gone into the fence at Sandown twice, one a similar impact location to the Volvo at this years Sandown 500, when I had a brake pad failure and instant loss of brakes, pitching me into the outside wall, and the other out of turn 4 when I was assisted into the fence after a side to side impact with another car broke a steering arm in the car. both of which, if I had more room to move in, would have been avoidable.

I have also been involved on the officials side with a number of large crashes at Sandown, a couple of which I put down to a lack of track maintenance, such as a car that rolled on the turn 1 exit curb as the backside of the curb had had the soil removed during previous events, and not replaced. Some of them where very lucky to not have more serious implications for the drivers involved, I think that the worse injuries were a small cut on one drivers hand, and a slight concussion for another driver.


That's a bit bloody scary!!

Back to safety for a second... earlier in the year at PI, I saw a guy on some fake Chinese rims completely snap the hub section off the rim whilst coming onto the main straight.
Tyres, rims and brakes are something worth investing coin into to ensure good quality and good condition.

h-are
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby h-are » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:12 am

Funny you should mention that Bazza, it looks like my failure could be due to a damaged caliper which happened back in January....... I did 3 hubs, all right front this year and could not work out what was going on. Looks like one of the pads could have been getting stuck randomly throughout the year and generating enough heat to cook the bearings. The damage was so minimal at the time I didnt link what was going on together......

Point of the story is if anything on your track car, particularly crucial components are not in perfect condition bin them, no matter the cost.

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby ratty05 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:37 am

My bolt in cage is being installed first week of Jan after reading this thread, probably overkill for what I do with the car but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
Have also bought 2 new harnesses, now just need new helmets and HANS......hello Santa, I promise I've been good!
Also, roll bar padding, where's the best place to buy and where does in need to go? (ie. only where head makes contact or anywhere body can make contact?)
Thanks.

Pleiades
Probationary Driver
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Adelaide

Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby Pleiades » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:57 pm

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=18358
http://docs.cams.com.au/Regulations/Bul ... adding.pdf

[VICTORY HAND]️

Mainly your head
Silly ios 10.2 emoji.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pleiades on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h-are
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby h-are » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:40 am

ratty05 wrote:My bolt in cage is being installed first week of Jan after reading this thread, probably overkill for what I do.


Makes me happy reading this, I can assure you its not overkill.

User avatar
KuRT12
Impreza 22B Driver
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 pm
Location: Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby KuRT12 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:16 am

Remember club members are entitled to between 5-10% Discount (depending on what gear) @ Revolution Race gear with presentation of their membership card :)
MY '12 SWP WRX STi Spec. R Sedan
Sandown 1:20.48 - Winton 1:35.19 - Wakefield 1:06.84 - Phillip Island 1:44.96 - Broadford 1:03.80 - SMSP Gardner (AD08) : 1:48.05

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby ratty05 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks h-are, even though I take it pretty easy, I guess you never know when something might fail on the car.

Didn't know about the discount at revolution, does it include stuff that's already on sale like the helmet and hans package deals?
Was thinking about joining this club as my local car clubs events don't really suit what I'm doing with the car these days, that might be the sealer right there!

Pleiades
Probationary Driver
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby Pleiades » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi
WAP put me on to this.
https://www.facebook.com/motorsport365/ ... 054516353/


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magoo
Learner Driver
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby magoo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Pleiades wrote:Hi
WAP put me on to this.
https://www.facebook.com/motorsport365/ ... 054516353/


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That really shows the benefits of the hans..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h-are
Impreza WRX Driver
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby h-are » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Really great to see so many people pulling the trigger on putting cages in their cars today!

A very ordinary incident has created some really positive outcomes! I think I spoke to no less then 5 people who stepped up their safety due to my incident & I didnt get to speak to many people due to kids losing their sh1t. lol.

Great day, I actually drove home thinking my crash has become a positive thing.

ratty05
Impreza RS Driver
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Track Car Safety Ideas/Experiences

Postby ratty05 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Unfortunately I didn't take the sunroof into account with the cage I bought. Oh well, hopefully someone else will be keen on a safety upgrade.

Return to “Public Club Motorsport Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests