Secure mount for phone

Jezza
Learner Driver

Secure mount for phone

Postby Jezza » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi Everyone. I'm a new club member and Rexmas 2017 was my first track day and Phillip Island will be my second. Loved Rexmas and my old silver MY00 GC8 is already starting to get some mods, starting with brakes and sway bars. Thanks to Gary for guiding me on the first few laps!

Looking forward to meeting some members and learning lots!

I've read all the guides and searched but couldn't find the answer to these ones:

IPhone mount
Regarding mounting a phone so I can run Harry's Lap Timer, the rules say it needs to be 'securely mounted'. Would a suction cup Ram X mount with a secondary tether meet this requirement or does it need to be screwed/bolted to something? What do others use?

Garages
I noticed there were a limited number of garages available at Sandown. Is this first come first served and is it the same at Phillip Island? I got a bit sunburnt at Rexmas sitting in the car park so am keen to be a little more prepared this time. :oops:

Thanks!
Jeremy
MY00 WRX GC8, mostly stock but the mods have started....

Pleiades
Probationary Driver

Re: Secure mount for phone

Postby Pleiades » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 am

Iphone mount, that fulfils the rules technically. But it then depends on chief scrutineer for the day.
Strictly as the days are currently being timed to 4 decimal points, why do you need Harry?

Yep first come first served, see Brendan, tall, balding in Track Uniform and drives a big ute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rexdriver
WRX STi Driver

Postby rexdriver » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 am

You have to pay for the garages separately to the track managers
Historic Racer

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby neptune11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 am

As long as the phone is secured to the mount, & then I cable tie my mount to something secure...
Brendan is the guy to speak at Sandown, I'm not sure about P.I??
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

Snowy
Chocolate Wheels Driver
Chocolate Wheels Driver

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed Rexmas Jeremy....and I'm sure you'll absolutely love the track experience at PI (Phillip Island), it is an awesome, free flowing, faster track.....located in a fantastic part of the world.

Re garages at PI, it is 1st in best dressed on the morning and there'll be a representative from PI going up & down the paddock side of the garages taking your money for whatever garage you choose! There are plenty of garages at PI, so you shouldn't miss out, however I strongly recommend you seek out a "garage buddy" to share a garage with you on the day, as they are damn (ie. read "ridiculously") expensive :thumbsdow:

From memory, they're about $160 per garage, but you can easily fit 2 x cars end-to-end plus all your belongings etc to either side....you just need to manage which of you is next out on track, and therefore who needs to be at the "front" (pit lane side of the garages) to line up at dummy grid :thumbs:

See you there!
Snowy
Vice-President (2014 - current) - vp@wrx.com.au
Former Club Secretary (2012 - 2014)
MY00 WRX Red Mica - 3" CES S/S CBE

KuRT12
Impreza 22B Driver

Postby KuRT12 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Jeremy, i am using Ram mount X-grip with secondary tether which has been accepted.

Garages at PI are around the $160 mark and sold on the day - these can not be prebooked.
MY '12 SWP WRX STi Spec. R Sedan
Sandown 1:20.48 - Winton 1:35.19 - Wakefield 1:06.84 - Phillip Island 1:44.96 - Broadford 1:03.80 - SMSP Gardner (AD08) : 1:48.05

Jezza
Learner Driver

Postby Jezza » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking forward to PI.

Pleiades (very relevant handle, I had to look it up) - Harry's probably not necessary for timing but other features like video and comparing different lap and sector times will hopefully give me some real time feedback so I can improve. My MY00 ain't particularly fast so I'll be trying to do the cleanest lap I can with what I've got (and will be open to any advice I can get on the circuit and the best route to make my car a bit faster).

All: Great, sounds like my mount should be OK (same as Kurt's), just need to sort out an acceptable tether.
Ouch, you're not wrong about the garages being expensive Snowy! I'm guessing plenty of people forego that expense and setup a portable marquee out the back somewhere? Do you guys get yourself a garage at PI? Is it worth it for you? I may still do it - will have a think and check it out when I get there.

Do you enter at the main entrance and is there directions from there? Last time I was there was for a Moto GP years ago and haven't been on the inside yet. I'm hoping it will be pretty obvious.

Thanks and see you there.
J

neptune11
Impreza WRX Driver

Postby neptune11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 am

Jezza wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking forward to PI.

Pleiades (very relevant handle, I had to look it up) - Harry's probably not necessary for timing but other features like video and comparing different lap and sector times will hopefully give me some real time feedback so I can improve. My MY00 ain't particularly fast so I'll be trying to do the cleanest lap I can with what I've got (and will be open to any advice I can get on the circuit and the best route to make my car a bit faster).

All: Great, sounds like my mount should be OK (same as Kurt's), just need to sort out an acceptable tether.
Ouch, you're not wrong about the garages being expensive Snowy! I'm guessing plenty of people forego that expense and setup a portable marquee out the back somewhere? Do you guys get yourself a garage at PI? Is it worth it for you? I may still do it - will have a think and check it out when I get there.

Do you enter at the main entrance and is there directions from there? Last time I was there was for a Moto GP years ago and haven't been on the inside yet. I'm hoping it will be pretty obvious.

Thanks and see you there.
J

Just have a handful of different lengths of cable ties for tethering phone mount..
There's only one way into the circuit at P.I for the track days, there will be others to follow. And try find someone to share garage with, as being January you may end up getting sunburnt again..Good luck & enjoy.. :thumbs:
MY 11 WRX Hatch
WRC Blue
#Tuned & Serviced by Got it Rex
#Upgraded parts by Tuspeed
#Steering & Suspension by Trutrack
#Engine rebuild by Top Torque

Jezza
Learner Driver

Postby Jezza » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am

neptune11 wrote:
Just have a handful of different lengths of cable ties for tethering phone mount..
There's only one way into the circuit at P.I for the track days, there will be others to follow. And try find someone to share garage with, as being January you may end up getting sunburnt again..Good luck & enjoy.. :thumbs:

Thanks Neptune11! :thumbs:
Yep, shared garage is looking good.

J

Return to “Public Club Motorsport Discussions”