2010 liberty GT wagon towbar

Chrisr_aus
Silver Liberty GT Driver
Silver Liberty GT Driver

2010 liberty GT wagon towbar

Postby Chrisr_aus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:34 am

I tried to use the Subaru installed tow bar hitch today. What a pain. If somebody can tell me how you can fit the hitch into the fitting without taking a bit out your hand it would be appreciated. All of the fittings are behind the bumper bar and with the electrical outlet placed to the right of the hitch it is almost impossible to get your hand in.

This is a heap of garbage.

Any other people experiencing the same frustration?

Chris

Bluprint
Learner Driver

Re: 2010 liberty GT wagon towbar

Postby Bluprint » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:30 pm

I've had the same problem, poorly designed for it's actual use.

More importantly, I just had the tow bar fitted on Friday and they have introduced the worst rattle - back to the dealer and more inconvenience for me.

I don't know how they missed the rattle on the test drive, probably wanted to ignore it.

Sharpie
Subie Guru

Postby Sharpie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:06 pm

true they are a bit of a pain... not much we can do.
The rattle is possibly the tow bar tongue. make sure the bolt with the locking nut underneath is tight. its stops the tongue from moving about!
X-Sti Melbourne Foreman and backyard boy.
just p.m. me.

Bluprint
Learner Driver

Postby Bluprint » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Sharpie

All fixed, I was playing around with it yesterday afternoon and you were spot on. Rattle all gone.

Thx!

The STiG
Some say....
Some say....

Postby The STiG » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 am

good post

Thanks for sharing. How tight did you have to make the bolt before the rattle was gone ?

Fantastic, great advice Sharpie.
Ada///M.

rutherfordp
Merchandise Man

Postby rutherfordp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:10 am

Another solution to the rattle is to rap electrical tape or gaffer tape around the shaft of the hitch then tighten the securing bolt. Just dont over do the tape or it wont slide properly.
Otherwise known as "Merchandise Man"

jhnharvy773
Learner Driver

Postby jhnharvy773 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Chrisr_aus wrote:I tried to use the Subaru installed tow bar hitch today. What a pain. If somebody can tell me how you can fit the blue ox hitches into the fitting without taking a bit out your hand it would be appreciated. All of the fittings are behind the bumper bar and with the electrical outlet placed to the right of the hitch it is almost impossible to get your hand in.

This is a heap of garbage.

Any other people experiencing the same frustration?

Chris

I installed a hitch mount on our '00 Legacy wagon from eTrailer.com a few years ago. We don't have a trailer, I only use it to attach my rear-mounted bike rack.

I'd like to have one on the Impreza instead as that's my car and I used to have one on an '02 OBS. Great thing about the Subaru hitch-mounted bike rack on the OBS is you can actually open the hatch without swinging the rack down. The Legacy's hatch isn't so convenient, and it's my wife's car so I don't get to use the rack much any more.

But, I'll stop with the superfluous info and just ask: would a hitch mount that fits a Legacy fit an Impreza? So, then I could just take it off one car and put it on the other.

Return to “Liberty Related Discussion”