Liberty MY08

king_qong
Learner Driver

Liberty MY08

Postby king_qong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Hey fellas,

I just got myself a good used liberty wagon 2.5i 2007 MY08 with 102, 000kms. I was just wondering if its normal when starting the car to sound something like a diesel engine? Its only momentary though, and as soon as the engine start running it sounds fine.

Thanks

The STiG
Some say....
Some say....

Re: Liberty MY08

Postby The STiG » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Does sound a little strange I have to say.
Do you know when the last service was done and by who?
Armed with that information, you could ....

1. Take it for a service
2. Take it back to the place that performed the service, especially if it is a Subaru Dealership.

Certainly get it looked at before any issues start.
Let us know how you go.
Ada///M.

king_qong
Learner Driver

Postby king_qong » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:34 pm

My car is at the subaru dealer today and 1 raise a few issues:

1. Brake squeel. This occurs when the pads are warmed up and medium pressure is applied to the brake pedal.
2. The momentary diesel sound on start up.
3. Clutch 1. When pressing the clutch down I get a scratchy springy feel on my foot when its close to the floor.
4. Clutch 2. The pick up of the clutch is abit high, I'd say 70pc from release.

I called them to ask what their diagnosis was and this is what they said:
1. There was plenty of wear left on the pads. They applied something (I forgot) to reduce the squeel.
2. Forgot to ask about this.
3. Its normal wear and tear, and said that the clutch is wearing.
4. The high pick up point can't be adjusted and also due to wear and tear.

For the issue 3 and 4. I have doubts if this is correct. Can someone provide any input to this?
As for issue 1 and 2 I'll have to find out when I pick up the car tomorrow.

Thanksss

The STiG
Some say....
Some say....

Postby The STiG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:09 am

1. That does sound normal, to stop this you can do a few things but requires money being spent to replace the pads and the rotors, this is really the only solution. Doing one or the other generally doesn't help as Ive found out personally.

2. This could be loose tappets which can get a little loose over time. The noise will go away after start because the components heat up. This will be tightened during a normal service.

3. Agree this is usually down to wear and tear, a replacement clutch may be the only solution although you shouldnt need to depress the clutch right to the floor to engage your next gear... and finally

4. I'm sure they will be able to adjust this for you and yes you will be only able to tell once you test drive the car.

Also before you leave just ask, would it be ok if I was to call you back in a day or so to confirm these points.
I'm more than sure the Service Assistant or even the Service Manager would be happy to help out but atleast you will then have a point of contact that you can talk to directly.

Which state are you in?

Best of luck with it all.
Ada///M.

king_qong
Learner Driver

Postby king_qong » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Stig,

The car was last service at the Denlo Used Subaru Car dealer when it got traded. Soon after that I saw the car, knew it was a good deal and purchased it. I'm Sydney.

So I got my car back today and here's what they found.

1. Brake squeel. The brake pad and disc were glazed. All they did was deglazed "as best as possible". It doesn't squeel anymore, but at times it would but not loud. The service adviser said that if it comes back then I would have to machine the rotors.

2. Momentary diesel like sound on start up. He said it was normal for this make and model. If it was the tappets, it would probably be part of a major service isn't? Since they would have to take off the rocker covers.

3. Clutch 1. Normal wear for the age and mileage. Still serviceable. I don't like the high pick up point, especially when I'm stopped in traffic and on a slope. I guess I'll have to get use to it. I'll just replace the clutch when it wears out. I usually do depress the clutch fully when engaging the next gear, I'm just use to it. Do you think the clutch is due for a change soon? I hope not, the reason why I bought this car was to escape from paying for expensive repairs, like my previous Subaru.

4. Clutch 2. I did ask them if they could adjust it, but they said its part of the wearing of the clutch. If you can adjust it then I'll just it to somewhere else that can adjust it.

All in all, they didn't charge me for anything which was pretty good. But I feel as though my problems are not over.

The STiG
Some say....
Some say....

Postby The STiG » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:45 am

Just keep an eye on everything now that you know what to look for.
If something doesnt feel or sound right, get it checked out but make sure you keep good notes on everything.
Good to hear it didnt cost you the earth either. Always a pleasure when that happens.
Any other questions that you cant find when searching, just post up.
Ada///M.

king_qong
Learner Driver

Postby king_qong » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks Stig. Thanks for your help and advice.
You rock!! punk

Shoosh
Learner Driver

Postby Shoosh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:26 am

:hairpull: Keep a close eye on the engine noise,I had a complete rebuild at 44k kms due to piston ring failure and using a litre and a half oil every second to third tank of fuel.the bottom end was fitted under warranty but at the 5k km service subaru service asked me do you want the bad news or the bad news?The oil was empty again and not just below the stick level it needed 3.5 ltrs.Subaru say it is my driving style yet at 78k kms and after constant top ups deisel hybrid bs sound no get up and go I have only just replaced the tyres,still has original brake pads and rotors has been looked after with TLC. Subaru say it is my driving style, big call when I have been driving for 33yrs, have NEVER scrubbed out an engine, especially at 44 k kms.Not happy at all and I have a three yr old car that is worth nothing as a trade in.The car is not driven at psycho style,in fact it haz never hit redline, was run in as advised by Subaru and funnily enough the H6 3.0 is no longer in production.
Sorry to Alarm you but it pays to keep an ear out for larger issues. :x
Boldly Going Nowhere At Light Speed

MY08 3.0R Spec B

2011 WRX Premium fully loaded.

king_qong
Learner Driver

Postby king_qong » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 pm

I changed my engine oil recently and engine oil level was fine. I think the noise is normal. I've asked the Subaru dealer about it and he said its normal. I was still sus though until I moved houses and my neighbor has an impreza hatchback and makes similar noises on start up. So I feel more satisfied.

I'm sorry to hear your bad run with your car Shoosh. I can sympathize because my previous subaru wagon 2000 model had its own set of issues which drove me up the wall.

Return to “Liberty Related Discussion”